Twitter ... I finally "get it"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ku_alum, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 28, 2009

If you're still on the fence about Twitter, keep reading ...

I didn't know if I should put this in Gen Ed or Teacher Time Out ... but I see classroom applications with Twitter, so ...

I know we've had the "what's the big deal about Twitter?" thread before on this forum.

I tried Twitter 6 months ago, didn't get it. Tried it again this summer and I am hooked. It has become a MAJOR part of my personal learning network, what I refer to as "on my own professional development, the things that help make me the best teacher I can be."

The key for my getting hooked was changing (in my mind) the prompt question (that you are supposed to answer in your tweet) from "What are you doing?" to "What are looking at?" By doing that, I have been able to connect with some FANTASTIC educators across the world. I am becoming super efficient at keeping up with all the latest classroom "stuff."

OH, and the other life saver with my Twitter adventure ... Tweetdeck. It allows me to manage my Twitter account instead of following that long stream of tweets. It is a free download. Tweetdeck isn't the only Twitter management tool, I've seen one called Twhirl.

Interested? Here's a "what you need to know" pdf to get you started. http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7027.pdf

3. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 28, 2009

I would be interested in seeing your Twitter page. Could you post a link to it? I use Twitter on a personal basis and plan to use it within my classroom to post updates throughout the day of what the kids are doing and upcoming events. As I train my students on how it works, they will be doing the updating.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 28, 2009

Eiffel, I haven't used it in my classroom, yet. I just started messing around with Twitter at the end of the school year and it is blocked at school. :(

But, I want to use it like you described. Gotta build my case with my tech lady.

If you are interested in seeing my page (with mostly professional dev type topics), PM me your email address. I can also get you an image of my Tweetdeck (a lifesaver on managing Twitter).

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2009

I still don't get it :)

I only use Twitter so I can text media updates to my blog. If I could do that without Twitter I still wouldn't use it...

But that's how I feel about all social media that isn't a forum or e-mail. Old school!

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 28, 2009

Twitter fascinates me because I STILL don't get it :) I think it's one of those things you have to do to understand.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2009

I don't know the slightest about Twitter so please enlighted me. If it's useful for teaching, learning I would love to hear more.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 28, 2009

Rockguy ... I don't know the content of your blog, but I have a blog about tech in the classroom. I used to rely on Diigo (social bookmarking tool) to get me around the net on this topic. I'm relying less now on Diigo and relying more on Twitter. It is becoming vital to my blog updates.

I have only 2 or 3 people I "socialize" via Twitter. I have around 50 people that are teachers that say "hey, read this" or "hey, look at this" or "hey, what do you think about this" or "hey, I need help with" ...

It would be nice if I got this from my face-to-face colleagues, but I don't. I have great coworkers, don't get me wrong, but they come to me. Twitter lets me help them even more.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 28, 2009

Jeannie, did you read the link I posted in the first message on this thread? For me, it is WAAAY useful in learning. It is also way useful in teaching my colleagues. I'm going to try to make it useful in teaching my students.

10. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

KU - Just joined - thanks!

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 28, 2009

I've been a Twittter addict for a little more than a year now. Unlike KU, my friends and I do use it primarily as a social tool, but another teacher friend and I have been looking for ways to use it in our classroom next year.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 28, 2009

Can we Twitter with other A to Z folks (sounds so bizarre, doesn't it?) How?

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 28, 2009

Pisces, a few AtoZ folks are on Twitter.

Etcetera and anyone else ... If you want me to PM you my username, let me know.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 28, 2009

Bandnerd, I love to read your Tweets!

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

I love TweetDeck.

Also, I am not afraid to post ANY of my contact information, including Twitter, on this forum. Everything I do online - and I'm everywhere - has its own means of blocking unwanted people.

(that would NOT be any of you! ) (I just didn't want anyone to think they'd be stalked, etc, if they shared.)

Is anyone else interested in maybe having a thread where interested people can post their Twitter names, etc, so others can connect?

I see no logical reason why such things would need to be secret and at the mercy of a private message.

16. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I agree with Mamacita....I would love to connect w/ fellow AtoZers!

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

I'm bandnerdtx on Twitter, same as here... same as everywhere. :D

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

I haven't even looked at Twitter yet. Hopefully I'll find time this summer to find out what everyone's talking about.

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

I joined the other day but I'm not getting it either. I don't know who or what to follow. Also, do you get the updates via phone text messages?

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

Text messaging.. another phenomenon that's escaped me so far :)

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

Just wait until your kids are a few years older, Alice, then texting may become your primary means of communication with them! :lol:

22. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

KU,

I'm gonna try to give it a go... but after you register, how do you get started? How did you initially find the people with these great resources? Did you type something specific in a particular box?

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

773, I followed their blogs about education. Then, when I started with Twitter, I searched for them by name OR clicked on "Follow me on Twitter" if they used that widget on their blog.

Another option is to go to http://twitter4teachers.pbworks.com/ and find the category of teacher that matches your interest. The Twitter username is shared on this wiki.

This is my blog: http://edutechiegal.wordpress.com

Here are some others I started with ...
    http://school.discoveryeducation.com/schrockguide/
    http://weblogg-ed.com/
    http://heyjude.wordpress.com
    http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/

24. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

OH! PS to prev. post ... Search for Russel Tarr on Twitter ... he is a powerhouse on sharing classroom resources.

25. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

Mr. Tweet is a program that matches you with whatever category of person you are interested in Twittering with. It's also good to look at the friend list of someone whose Twits you enjoy reading. If you like someone, chances are good that you'll like their friends, too.

On Twitter, I'm Mamacita. I know, so innovative. But once you develop an online persona, it's good to keep it going.

26. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

As for education resources, I get most of mine from the Carnival of Education each week. FANTASTIC resources, and all free.

27. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

I text all the time, but I am clueless about Twitter. ok, so how would this be different than being on here?
    What's the point?

I'm not being sarcastic. I signed up, but not sure how this is useful.

28. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

Let me preface by saying that in my family, we eat dinner together every evening (if possible) and sometimes it's hard to get a conversation going about what's going on in school. Especially when my boys were in middle school - grunts and one syllable answers! Even now I think that it would be easier to get answers if I texted my son across the table.
    So - this year I am trying Twitter to communicate with parents. I intend to post daily what topics we discussed during the day's class. Maybe someone else's dinner table will be filled with conversation about volcanoes or space or something.
    I already have an account and it is linked to my web page. So far, I only have followers who are trying to push some product of theirs but I have blocked them. We'll see how it works!

29. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

It will take some time, like I wrote, it didn't "work" for me until my 2nd attempt. If you want to use it to socialize, start following people you know. If you want to use it to keep up on education topics, find educators (I posted ways to do this above).

30. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

I hope to use it this way, also! I will have a second Twitter account for this.

31. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

KU and Mary, that's what we're trying to do as well. We're having trouble convincing our district to let us.

32. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jun 29, 2009

When I tried to sign up for Twitter, it asked me for my email password. What???? I'm not giving them the password for my email account. What are they really asking? What am I missing?

33. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

click "Skip this step" if you want. It's asking you that so it can obtain your contacts (i believe) so it can see who you may know that has an account already.

34. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jun 29, 2009

Thank you - that worked.

35. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

36. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

37. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jun 29, 2009

I would love to connect with other preschool twitterers. My twitter name is luvfaithfully.

38. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

Right now, I've got a very supportive principal, but she is hitting a brick wall with the district powers. I've been sending her the articles you've posted, and she's forwarding them on. Let's hope that central office will have some vision...

39. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

Anything we Twitter about A-Z can be viewed on a page by itself if we all remember to use the hashtag #AZForum.

40. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

On Twitter, I'm txteach2b. Nothing unusual about that one.

41. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

It can also be posted here... you know, on the AZForum :p

That's the part I just don't get about Twitter. It just seems like a giant forum without the organization. Again, I think it is great for texting quick updates to my blog but otherwise I'm still lost. I imagine it is like most things online, given about a year nobody will care about it any more except for those who use it for a specific purpose.