Twitter feed for students?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jul 26, 2010.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 26, 2010

I've been considering creating a Twitter account for my students. It would obviously be a protected account so only my students could access it. I'd use it to remind students of upcoming assignment dates, online lectures and the like. It would also be a way for my technology savvy but socially wary students to contact me outside of my usual manner (telephone, email, in-person visits). Has anyone in a more traditional setting starting using Twitter? If so, how has it gone?

3. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

ive always wanted to do that or a facebook, but I was afraid of it causing problems with administration or even parents. I've decided to use wordpress that was suggested by a fellow poster and i love it. I love twitter, except i dont have anyone on my list lol but it helps me vent. I know it would be great to send out reminders and such. I would say ask your school and get permission. I work with nuns, they might say no, you im sure you have better luck. Let us knwo what you decide.

Although I do twitter with one student who found me, its more like messages for us, but viewed publicly for safety. Her mom new about it so it was fine, you might have to get a permission slip for it.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2010

I think that in your position, I would definitely do it catnfiddle! I've heard a lot lately about people using twitter in the classroom, and I haven't been 100% convinced... I am 100% convinced it would NOT work in my class, but I think if there was an optimum setting to use it, it would be yours!

5. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 26, 2010

Edmodo is like facebook and twitter, but it was made for teachers to use with students. It's free. I'm planning to use it this fall. You can set up classes (1st, 2nd, 3rd period) so that you can send an update to just those students/parents. Edmodo will send you a password that you can use to begin with, and then change later to keep it safe. The page looks quite similar to facebook too. Students with fancy phones will even be able to get the updates that way. I think it is edmodo.com. You can get to it through my livebinder at this address (http://livebinders.com/play/play/19579) just go to the edmodo tab.

6. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

Thanks, it looks interesting. I think I will try it myself.

7. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

Alright, so I signed up for Edmodo. It is okay, but I would like to keep looking into it. If any of you sign up please add me.

http://www.edmodo.com/profile?uid=362829

I dont have friends lol well until school starts i guess i will have students then.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 26, 2010

I'm going into year 2 of Edmodo. My students LOVE it, particularly the text updates to their phones. They don't need a fancy phone, just one that can receive text updates.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 26, 2010

I don't think you want anyone as friends, that aspect is not like FB ...
    You sign up as a teacher. Then, your students sign up for your class.
    Any message your students send go to you or to all of the students (no student to student messaging).
    You can send a message to 1 student, several students, or the entire class of students.

I don't need to be your Edmodo friend because I am not in your class.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 26, 2010

My biggest concern about using Twitter with my students is a privacy issue. Remember that my kids work in a certain amount of isolation from one another. It's a concern if students on my feed start contacting each other outside of my sphere of influence. I don't think I have the ability to hide my followers.

I'll talk with my department chair about this. Maybe I'll create a parent release form for those under 18 years old.

11. kbee1219

kbee1219 Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

Question about edmodo grade book. Can everyone see each others grades or can students only see there individual grade?

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

Edmodo doesn't allow any private messaging ... students can ONLY message you OR the entire class ... no private exchanges.

13. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

Um, thanks for setting me straight? I kind of understood that once I started working with it, that is why I said I would wait until I can add my students. I was just trying to post several things and it wasn't allowing me since I didnt have anyone to send it to.

Thanks for the clarification though.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 28, 2010

Um, you're welcome?
    When I was learning Edmodo, I set up a fake student account and enrolled the fake student in one of my classes so I could work with Edmodo from both the teacher side and the student side. Student accounts are easy to delete (by you).

15. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 29, 2010

So, this edmodo site sounded great - I would love to have the option of sending little reminders through text message. However, I set up a dummy class and put my hubby into it, and when I sent the text only half of it showed up. He then responded, and I never got his response.
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? :help:

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

Hmm. No idea. I would post on the Edmodo forum and ask them. They are very good at helping.

My students never had any issue with texting, it always seemed to work.

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

I don't know much about edmodo, but it could also be related to your carrier.

18. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

p.s.
    I don't think they can respond to you via texting, but that would be another thing to inquire on the Edmodo forum. You can also get the Edmodo guys by asking on Twitter. But, the forum allows for more discussion.

19. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 31, 2010

Thanks! I actually would prefer my students NOT be able to text me back - I like the idea that I can send out a note or alert or whatever and it's a one way street. I don't want to feel like I'm on "text duty" all through my dinner time at home, you know?
    However, I still am not sure why my whole text didn't go through. I'll go to the forum and investigate...

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 31, 2010

I don't mind getting messages back, especially if I have students who are unable / unwilling to contact me in other ways. Other teachers use some form of instant messenger for that reason but I've never liked that particular technology. At least with Twitter I can print out the texts and show them to a principal as proof of interaction.

21. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 31, 2010

I work at a title 1 high school. You think this would be ok....i dunno how many students have txting...

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 26, 2010

Me again. I'm currently researching whether or not Twitter is acceptable. If not, I will also bring up edmodo.com to my technology guru.

23. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Aug 26, 2010

I don't use Twitter, but I did collect e-mail addresses from parents at Open House and on a form I sent home the first day of school. Then I created contact lists for each course. I now am emailing home announcements/homework assignments a few times a week. That way there isn't any potential student contact with me outside of work, but parents remain in the loop. I can't wait to see if more homework gets turned in, since parents will have daily alerts on what the assignments are! ;)

24. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 3, 2010

I use Twitter with my students and I LOVE it! We use hashtags, so it's easy to make a Tweetdeck column for everything. Students ask questions and get answers almost immediately with Twitter. (They know exactly when I'll be online there.) Twitter is one of the best things I've ever discovered!

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 4, 2010

Rats! I have been told that Twitter or any version of it is a no-go.

26. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 4, 2010

Cat-
    Do you mean admin doesn't want social networking?
    Edmodo doesn't allow any private conversations between students, just between you and the student(s). Would admin be more comfortable with that?

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 4, 2010

I tried to run that past my department chair and she said it's a no for now. Perhaps once things start calming down this semester I'll try again with a more in-depth explanation of why this is a good idea.

28. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 4, 2010

In Edmodo, how do students "turn in" assignments?

29. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 4, 2010

I don't use that function, but if I remember correctly the student can browse out for the document and then click "turn in." The teacher receives a notification that X out of Y assignments have been submitted.

30. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 4, 2010

p.s. set up a teacher account and then a dummy-student account ... you can log in as both back and forth and see how it all works.

31. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 5, 2010

I spent time after posting this as the teacher and two students. I wanted to see if the assignments would be logged by member (so I could see that Student 1 did but Student 2 did not turn it in). No, instead it says Student 1 turned in an assignment, similarly to how it would show that Student 1 sent a message.

Pretty interesting site, though. I will look at it more and decide whether to make the switch a little later. I just got my whole class onto wikispaces to sign up for things, and a yahoo group for email. Not wanting to seem techie just to be techie, you know?