Twistable crayons

Discussion in 'General Education' started by letsteach, Oct 23, 2013.

1. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Oct 23, 2013

We use community supplies, parents pay a levy and we provide everything. The levy does not cover the full cost of everything but we keep the cupboards topped up.

We use twistable crayons, however, the red, yellow and orange colours are heavily used and I keep opening new packets to replace the ones used. I now have lots of twistable crayons in other colours and would like to purchase just red, yellow and orange crayons. Does anybody know or have any ideas how I can get single colours? I have contacted Crayola but they do not do refills of twistable crayons. (I am looking a purchasing probably 300 red, and 200 of yellow and orange?

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 25, 2013

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2013

Just curious why you exclusively use twistables?

5. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Oct 25, 2013

Bioangle: Thank you for that. I think I will try your suggestions.

czacza: We use twistable crayons because they are held like a pencil, their size does not get smaller as the crayon is used. The chidlren are taught not to twist the crayon up too much and if they do break, I can fix them. You also get to use most of the crayon. They stand up in a pot, each the same size and all the colours are visible.

I don't use twistable pencils though. I have tried them but they tend to beak too easily and cumble in the pencil shaft. They are fixable though but often the pieces are just too small to reuse. We also use thick and thin textas (felt tip pens).

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2013

Twist able crayons don't flake up either!