1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2004

Do you think that twins should be in the same classroom? Why or why not?

3. Teener

Teener Companion

Aug 22, 2004

No. Parents put so much emphasis on twins being the same ... looking the same, acting the same, doing the same things. They need a chance to develop their own personalities and become a person on their own. Otherwise, one twin will become dependant on the other which will make it harder on them later in life.

4. bijansmom

bijansmom Companion

Aug 23, 2004

I think at preschol age, it is fine. Twins have a special bond which needs to be intact during those early uears --

Funny story, next school year (04/05), I will have three sets of twins in my class!! My friend, mom of boy/girl twins is in a mommy and me group for twins --she and two of her twin moms are coming to my pre-k! Non of the sets are identical -- infact, two of the theree sets are boy/girl twins and the thirs is two brothers. It will be a fun time.

5. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 23, 2004

I teach pre-k, and we discourage siblings being in the same class. My experience is that with siblings and twins, one often in the "mother" and wants to care for the other. Being in separate rooms allows both to be individuals. We always separate siblings but we do get together for some group activities. It has always been a good experience.

6. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Aug 23, 2004

Last year I had a set of twins (boy/girl) in my PM class and it wasn't the best situation. The girl took on a mothering role with her brother and sometimes he resented it and other times he let her baby him. I also had two sets of cousins in that class- close cousins that have practically been raised together. For one set of cousins I made sure they'll be in seperate classrooms this year as they bickered quite a bit but the other set got along very well and had no problems being in the same classroom.

Personally, I think when twins reach school-age they should be seperated if possible. They need to develop their own identity and circle of friends. There were two twin boys in the AM classes last year, I had one, and we were filling out a survey about the kids. I asked Miles "What do you want people to know about you?" and he immediately said, "That I'm different from my brother." The ironic thing was his brother, Nik, said the same thing! lol

7. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 23, 2004

I had twins last year, and based on that experience, I would say NO. It was hard for them and me.

I had trouble distinguishing between the two when evaluating behavior and academics, even though they were on different levels, and didn't always have a bad day on the same day. As far as telling them apart by appearance, it took me 2 months before I could easily tell them apart up close, and 6 months before I could tell them apart from across the room. That's hard when one is standing up on a chair, or picking on the kid next to them, and you need to call out their name.

Their identity was "the twins" -- Their classmates couldn't tell them apart very well and would say ____ or ____ when talking to them, or they would say the wrong name. Sometimes they would ask, are you ___ or ____? I tried to only call them by name when I was sure which one I was talking to... I occassionally had to say ___ or ____ when I couldn't see across the room who it was. Sometimes one would end up taking the fall for the other. One was a bit more sensitive than the other and seemed unhappy a lot. I think that both being rolled into one person was hard for him especially.

They also were both the type of student with behavior issues all day, every day, so having 2 similar kids with that problem really took its toll on me.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2004

I like the idea of seperating them. I have had several set through the years...and last year had two sets...all boys. The one set got along fine and never fought with each other. One was very sensitive. The other set of boys were a "nightmare" together. I know what you mean Amanda, it takes it's toll on you...and the rest of the group. It got so bad that one day I marched to the office and said , "That's it...I am done with this chaos...for my sake and for the sake of the other childre." Fortunatley, we have another site and one of them was sent there and it was sooooooooo much better. Side note...about the twins that got along. When I had them draw family pictures, they each left the other OUT of the picture...but drew themselves. Now what do you make of that??!!!

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 23, 2004

I am a twin and skipped kindergarten with my twin. We were inseperable because= my sister did the talking for us both. We are identical which basically means that we are monozygotes, with identical chromosomes and fingerprints and huge similarities in personalities, sense of humor, interests... We also, like a married couple, balance the relationship with different areas of ability. While one may be stronger in the language arts area, the other excels in mathematics. SOOOOO, being in the same classes may not be the best for individuality and clearly impedes on effort. We are equally intelligent and capable, BUT, having the other twin in the class with you, seems to be a delegation of tasks and areas. I am talking from my experiences which began in the 70s and I am sure there have been PLENTY of strategies since then developed to create a NON COMPETITIVE environment for twins to work together. Its the coolest thing being on a team or a project with my sister. So much is NOT said, and just understood. We are both equally creative and can cooperatively work better then a team of 4-6 kids whom never met.

On the other hand, It SUCKS for individuality if the twins are together. We always dressed the same or later, we wore the same but one in red and the other in blue. My parents were HORRIBLE when it came to comparing and to stop calling us by one name- jennyruth.
    We both are teachers and we tried our best in college to have TOTALLY different teachers. It was not the case for all our classes.
    I currently have twins in my class but they are fraternal and SO unique/individual. I also will treat twins with such admiration and respect with close attention to individuality.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 23, 2004

I think it depends on the twins! We had 4 sets in kinder last year, 3 sets were seperated, for the 1 set of girls there would have been the problem of one mothering the other. For the other set their personalities would make them a "nightmare" to be together. It seemed that if one was having a rotten day, the other would be to. The set of boys were identical! I could not tell them apart on a regular basis. Mom wanted to put both in my class mid-way through the year. We are a uniform school, with a choice of color shirts, she was willing to put them in different colors & let me know which was in which color. Thankfully that didn't happen. My teaching partner had a boy/girl set that had different friends so it didn't matter. My boy twin had a cousin in my class. Cousins can sometimes be problems.
    Having said that, my teaching assistant has 2 sets of twins. The older set she can put in the same class & not have a problem. The younger set needs to be seperated.
    So I think it just depends on the twins, their personalities & if one is more dominate then the other. Identicals should be seperated if at all possible!

11. Aug 23, 2004

Pre-K Teacher

This is crazy!!! I have never taught twins either (this is my 3rd year of teaching) and I have 3 sets also!!!! None of mine are identical either! 2 sets are boy/girl and the 3rd set are girls. I cannot believe the coincidence!

12. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 24, 2004

coincidence? NO WAY. I am in no way suggesting that fertility drugs are the cause of all the 'twins increase' but it certainly has helped many childless couples have the children they desire. ONLY fraternal are hereditary. Therefore, the releasing of multiple eggs is passed down if they were genetically and not scientifically predisposed. OLDER you get, your risks for multiples are increased. I say risk, because its such a strain in carrying multiples and the older you are the more monitoring you need.

13. Sandy K

Sandy K Rookie

Aug 24, 2004

I am a twin

My twin brother and I were in Kdg. together. I remember liking it, and it didn't seem to be a problem. After that we were never together in the classroom. We did go to the same college and had many of the same friends. We loved it.

Everyone is fasinated by twins. Some twins like the attention, others do not. There is a special bond between twins, and twins often feel a bond with other twins. Hard to explain, but it is a very special relationship. My brother and I loved it, perhaps because we were not identical.

I think that twins have plenty of opportunites to be together, being in different classrooms is a good idea.

Enjoy teaching everyone.