Twins & Triplets

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2010

Are you a twin or triplet? Do you know any? Do you see any often?

Two of my cousins on my mom's side are twins. I believe my dad had twin siblings, but they died at birth. My BF's an identical twin. Other than that, I never come across any.

I'd LOVE to have girl & boy twins & then that would be it for me as far as having kids goes! :)

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 27, 2010

I'm an only child, but we have a lot of twins in our town. Year before last I had four sets of twins. Two were identical. One might as well have been identical. One was boy/girl. One year we had 8 sets of twins in our building. We have at least one set of twins every year in every grade.

There were three sets of twins in my graduating class.

I don't know any triplets.

4. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 27, 2010

My 8th grade Science teacher had triplets. I never met them, but she sure did talk about them a lot!

There is one set of twins in my family. My Mom's side of the family; her 1st cousins, my 2nd cousins.

5. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

My dad is a twin (boy-boy non identical). My cousin (my dad's twin's youngest son) and his wife have twins (girl-boy). One of my good friends from highschool that I'm still in contact with has twins (girl-girl non-identical). In my 18 years of teaching I have taught six different sets of twins. I dated a guy who had twin cousins for quite some time in college.

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

I have twins ;)

14 week old twin girls...fraternal. Born at 35 weeks gestation...no NICU...I was lucky.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 27, 2010

Knew four sets of twins in my HS graduating class.

I was a twin. The twin did not survive 13 hours.

8. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 27, 2010

I had a set of triplets in my classes. Two of the girls were in the same class and the boy was in another. Sometimes I got the girls mixed up when handing back their papers.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

My uncles are twins, and there are other sets in my family as well. I'm gunning for twins, as dh only wants one child, so it would be great to get two in one go! ;)

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

On my mom's side....triplet uncles and aunt...natural born in the early 1900"s!!! Then twins in every other generation except this one.

On my husband's side twin uncles, but one died in infancy.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 28, 2010

My OB/Gyn has triplets. I am infinitely curious as to whether or not she used fertility treatments, but am too shy to ask!

I have identical twin girl first cousins, and one of those twins has identical sons.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 28, 2010

A friend of mine has triplets and a niece has twins. In-vitro tends to have those results.

13. asgirl

asgirl Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

I have great-uncles who are twins.
    Went to elementary school with one set of twins, High school with 3 or 4 sets, lived near one set.
    One of the local high schools had 5 sets of twins and 1 set of triplets this year in an intake of approximately 80 students.

14. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

I am a mommy to twin boys! I love it! I can't tell you the blessings these boys bring to me. :wub:

15. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

When my boys were in Kinder ~ they had 8 sets of twins in school that year (Kinder through 5th) and two teachers that were twins. Made the paper!

16. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

Not a twin or triplet myself!

No multiples on either my or hubby's family. :)

At my new school, there is only ONE class per grade and I was told I will have a set of...

TRIPLETS in my 3rd grade class...

Boys.

Let's estimate how many jokes they will play on the new teacher. :dizzy::dizzy:

17. glen

glen Companion

Jul 28, 2010

5 out of the 10 boys on my son's 8th grade basketball team were twins. Two of the boys were identical, the other three all had twin sisters.

In our relatively small high school, there must be 15 sets of twins. I went to a high school almost twice the size and I only remember one set of twins going through the school while I was there. I don't think there were any others. Now, I know of three different sets of triplets (one of our teachers has triplets, there's a set that my son plays against in another town, and our school system has a set in the middle school).

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 28, 2010

How nice. Yes, 1 firl & 1 boy of the same age would be just right for me!

I'm sure my BF's parents caused attn. Him & his identical twin bro were born on New Yr's Day!

19. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

My grandmother is a twin. My dad (her son) is a twin. No twins for me (hmmm, maybe that's why DH says he's done!). Another relative on dad's side has triplets. My mom has a cousin who had twins. My husband has a relative who has quadruplets!
    I've had a student who was a twin and I've also taught a set of triplets.

20. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

There's something in the waters out here. We have triplets and twins all over the place.

21. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 28, 2010

I have a boy in my room who has a twin sister next door. My girls are twins. My great grandmother was a twin.

22. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 28, 2010

In my school of 600 last year we had 3 sets of twins.

My mom is a twin. I've heard that the twin thing skips a generation (or something like that) so my sister & I better be careful. :eek:

23. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

When I was pg with them, I surely wanted one of each. I also have a daughter, so two girls would have been so fun!! When the tech told me it was two boys I almost cried.:rolleyes: Now.... I am very thankful they were both boys!:wub:

24. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

I wanted both boys or one of each...got girls instead! Glad I did though. Hope they are best friends.

25. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 28, 2010

I have boy/girl twins that will be 6 weeks old Friday, born at 35w6d and they came home with me :) My dad's mom & grandmother are twins, but it really passes down on the maternal side and mine were from IVF anyway.

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 28, 2010

Last year we had five sets of twins (two sets identical) in kindergarten (100 students). A set in first grade (identical), and a set in third grade (girls). There may be more that I don't know about.

My grandmother had twin boys but she lost them half way through the pregnancy.

27. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

I am a twin (identical). There is also a set of boy (fraternal twins) on my mom's side (her cousin's kids) and a set of boy-girl twins on mom's side (also a cousin's kids).

I am from a very small community, but our high school had at least 6 sets of twins when I was in school.
    I taught a set of triplets when I lived in Missouri (subbed...they were each in different classes...took me a while to figure out why the same girl was in different rooms each time I was there). Also, a woman my mom knows had triplets.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2010

I know plenty of twins and one set of triplets.

My sister and I were mistaken for twins frequently growing up. I don't know why, but I found it so annoying. Maybe because I was older and I found it insulting that either I looked younger or she looked older, which meant she was stepping in my territory? We still do complete each other's sentences and often open our mouths and say the exact same thing. But we look nothing alike now.

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 28, 2010

My sister and I are always asked if we are twins, especially if she doesn't straighten her hair. Which wouldn't be so bad, but she's 43, and I'm 31. If we're twins, we're going with my age! :D

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2010

My gma was a twin, cousin had twins, Aunt & uncle had twins & gma on other side had twin sisters.
    My babysitters (2 sets) that were high schoolers were twins when I was a pre teen.
    My 2nd grade teacher a twin. In her class when I subbed she had 2 sets of twins!!!
    I remember twins being in my K class as a K. Some of my best friends in HS are twins.
    My boss right out of HS had triplet girls!!

31. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2010

Where I live we have a lot of "Irish twins." A lot of siblings 1 year aprt or so. I have girls that are thirteen months apart. And people always ask: Are they twins?...the girls have gotten to the point where they just say: No!

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2010

Teacher...my sis & I are a little further apart than yours & we were asked that all the time & we look NOTHING alike...I think it was because we were the same height for awhile... We even pulled it off when we were in our late teens...sadly the person believed us!!!

33. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2010

while I can see definite differences in my girls, a lot of people swear that they look identicle. Oh, well, I am just grateful to have them! :hugs:

34. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 28, 2010

I have a step sister three months older than I. We look very opposite, but people would ask if we were twins when we said we were the same age. Makes sense.

35. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 28, 2010

My brother and I are 10 1/2 months apart because of my birth at 25 1/2 weeks.

It gets asked frequently if we are twins.

36. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 29, 2010

I have a friend who had babies 10 1/2 months apart by the same incident. Her daughter was born in Feb. Her son in December, I believe.

37. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

There are several sets of twins in my family.

Two years ago there were 3 sets of twins in fourth grade; I had one from each set.

Last year we had two sets of twins and I had 3 of the 4 kids.

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 29, 2010

Aww, they're so cute! Now that's the IDEAL type/amt of kids to me!

My parents weren't spring chickens when they had me & I think that's kind of why my mom wanted twins (probably boy/girl twins). My mom's told me before that she was hoping I'd be twins.

She must look pretty good for her age.

39. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

My cousin has triplets - God Bless Her
    My grandmother had twins who died at birth, my aunt keeps telling me it skips a generation and I could be next!
    Almost every year I have taught a twin.

40. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 29, 2010

AMK,
    I'm about positive that is an old wives tale about skipping a generation. I do believe that fraternal twins can be genetic. I had this conversation with my SIL she is a genetic counselor. I am pretty sure that she said that fraternal are genetic because of multi. eggs being released and that can be passed down.

41. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

My grandma has a fraternal twin.