Twins in two classes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsammieb, Aug 19, 2017.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 19, 2017

So me and my team mate have twins, one in each class. Not a biggie right? But now my team member thinks I need to run everything by her that I send home so they are the same. I shouldn't have to do that right? She says I am showing her up. But I am not, this is just what I do. I am trying not to be annoyed but I am NOT running things past her. Does this make me a bad coworker?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2017

It doesn't make you a bad co-worker. I've frequently had one of a set of twins in my class and just carry on as usual, not worrying about what's going on in another classroom.

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 19, 2017

A lot of people in my district have this mentality. We are an affluent district, and parents talk/compare A LOT between teachers. We send mostly the same information home. That said, you're not robots and you can't be identical. If you are doing something you think might be particularly special, or that you think would benefit the other class to do as well, I see no harm in sharing, but I don't think everything needs to be identical.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 19, 2017

If your teammate is suggesting you do a minimal amount of planning together, that's one thing. If your teammate is vocally afraid you'll make her look like a bad or mediocre teacher in comparison to you, that is her personal issue.

Caesar753, Backroads and bella84 like this.
  6. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 19, 2017

• [QUOTE="mrsammieb,
    • She says I am showing her up. [/QUOTE]
    :rofl:

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2017

We have twins this year too, and I have one of them. Luckily, the other teacher has not made this request. I feel like it's making more work for you if you have to run everything past her and wait for her to okay it. Communication is important and nice, but I don't think everything has to be exactly the same. If that is the expectation, then it should already be happening across the grade level, not just in this unique situation. Therefore, if it's not a grade-level expectation, then I don't think you should be made to feel that you have to do this. You may respectfully decline and state your reasons, including that you will "inform" (i.e.not "run past") your colleague of any important events or information that you feel would be pertinent for her to know.

Backroads likes this.
  8. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 19, 2017

Last year I had two sets of twins in my class. Each twin had their siblings were in a different 2nd grade classes (not the same teacher, so spread amongst three of us). We stay on pace as a grade level so they are learning the same material at the same time, but you have to do you. There is no way I could have done the exact same thing as two other teachers last year simply to make 2 parents happy. It's nice to be able to pop in and quickly ask each other how things are going and if they have anything coming up, or to share ideas, but you don't have to give her everything if you don't want to.

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2017

I don't think it's unreasonable for her to ask that you share ideas with her and to let her know what you are sending home... We all do this on my team anyway, regardless of having twins. I don't think you need to get her approval, however. My teaching partner and I had a set of twins last year. They were put with us specifically so that they would get the same homework, etc. It didn't mean that we did the same things all of the time, but at least the parent wasn't getting drastically different things at home. I really think that you should consider being more open with your teammate. Just don't be so open that you allow her to make decisions for you.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 19, 2017

I don't think having twins is any different than having two siblings in different grade levels. Parents of multiple children have to learn how to keep up with two different teachers all the time (I say this as a mom who is adjusting this year as my youngest started PreK in public school and my oldest is a third grader). I do not think you have to run anything more by her than you would do any other year.

DAH likes this.
  11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2017

We literally had five sets of twins in our grade last year!

We made sure that we aligned most of the big picture of the curriculum, and we tend to share resources, but in the end, we were our own teachers with our own styles, who did end up doing things slightly differently sometimes. I did Week of Inspirational Math (and sent parents the videos we watched, so they could rewatch with their kids at home), but my colleagues chose not to, which did lead to one twin having something new to watch at home because they liked it...but I'm sure there's things that the other teacher did differently than me in some cases that worked better.

In the end, I would say to make sure to at least align within the big picture...but agree to be okay with differences. If there's something really important or helpful/useful, you might pass it on or give a heads-up, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 19, 2017

I don't see anything wrong in making sure that your home communication is pretty similar.

bella84 likes this.
  13. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2017

I don't see anything wrong either, but also don't think it's vitally necessary.

This sounds perhaps like a good school/principal conversation-- twins will happen many times again, so there should be a guideline that the whole school should be expected to follow. Some schools may be more strict in that regards than others.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 19, 2017

I think I've had a twin in my class nearly every year. I never worry about what the other twin is doing in the other class.

Mshope2012 and MrsC like this.
  15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 19, 2017

A couple of years ago, we had twins split between two classes. Things were different between me and the other teacher.

Parents totally rolled with it. Why is the other teacher so worried?

I agree the grade level should have the same big picture curriculum because, hey, that's what you do as a team. If there are any particular school policies regarding stuff sent home, follow them, because again, team.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  16. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 19, 2017

Every year we have twins. They are always on different teams. We've also had step siblings on different teams. There has never been an issue between the different teachers.

I send home a letter with a supply list and my classroom management plan for parents to sign. My coworkers who teach the same subject as me do not. We are supposed to teach the same curriculum. They often add and skip things and do not share that. When I am thinking about a change or doing something extra, I'll email them. I never get a response. Neither one of them is going to set the world on fire. No one really seems to notice or care, except students.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 20, 2017

We have twins so often that nobody even thinks about it. This year I have three sets. They aren't in the same classes, but I have five of the six during my day. The pacing guides are identical, as are the assessments. However, instruction and resources vary.

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2017

Oh my goodness...as a parent of twins, and a teacher, absolutely NOT! The only thing I did have to ask a few times was for the teachers to include their own name on papers. Some papers would get into a pile at home and I wouldn't know which child/teacher it pertained to (like a book order, or needed classroom tissue).
    Life is going to be different for them.

MissScrimmage likes this.