Twilight Movie

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

A Blockbuster is going out of business by my boss' house, so I stopped by and grabbed the Twilight movie for cheap. Dh hid it in the bread box, but I found it so we can watch it during dinner.

I'll be back after a bit of time with Edward and Jacob. I'm on Eclipse for the second time, so it will be nice to see my 'friends' in the flesh and blood for a while instead of just reading about them.

Anyone else re-reading/reading for the first time/bought the movie and now watches it endlessly?

3. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 24, 2009

So which camp are you in: Edward or Jacob? :D

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

book? edward

movie? jacob

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

(Moment of shame in 3...2...1)

That's one of 4 or 5 movies I always put on while doing house work. I know them by heart & they're like old friends keeping me company while working.

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 24, 2009

I figured out how to settle to edward vs jacob argument... Bella should obviously be with edward, so i will take Jacob. ugh, I Know that makes me some sort of sex offender but I don't care. Love the movie but they were so much more beautiful in my head.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

chebrutta-I have those, too. Bridget Jones, My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Ever After. And now this. ;)

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

:lol: msmullen jr.

Jem. I can't believe you live so far away. Bridget Jones in on my list... and The Princess Bride... and Pride & Prejudice. And Clue, when I'm feeling silly & in need of slapstick banter.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

I can solve your problems in one idea-move out here! Then you're dh will be far from his mother and we can hang out!!!

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 24, 2009

I love the princess bride!!! And clue, embarrassing but I watch every time it comes on (which really isn't very often).

11. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 24, 2009

I L.O.V.E. The Princess Bride AND Clue!

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

Sigh. DF would. In heartbeat. Until he found out how much housing is. Then I'd have to listen to "You thought $300K was too much for a condo on the beach!!!"

Every time I get mad at someone at work, I say "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" Scares them into shape, even though they have no idea what I'm talking about. Or that I'm not Sicilian.

I gotta say, I'm Camp Edward. Jacob's just a leeeetle too cocky for me sometimes.

13. ohteachr

ohteachr Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

Yes yes, exactly. I agree on all counts! :)

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

Sigh. I forgot just how terrible the movie is. I'm in the middle of the books, and it's so OBVIOUS how off base the actors are with their character interpretations. Edward is always so ON, so CONFIDENT in the book. He looks like a nervous wreck in the movie. And Bella is such a jerk-o. She's rude and mean to everyone. I just didn't get that sense from the book at all.

I spent the whole movie explaining things to dh and saying 'that's not how it is in the book....'.

He declared it the worst movie ever made, ever.

And yet, I still have to love it. Because it's the only one we have. Maybe we should make our OWN! I just learned how to use iMovie today!! I bet we could do better!!

chebrutta-what does df do again? I've got to pull out my connections now and get him a good job.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 25, 2009

Haha, I have quoted the Princess Bride (I love the book AND the movie). People just don't get it.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 25, 2009

Me too. :blush:

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

Princess Bride and Clue here, too! I can't believe there are other people out there who remember Clue!

Also on my list:
    Love, Actually
    Bring it On
    Goodfellas

18. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

Love the books and own the movie too... I like the movie when I don't compare it to the books. I seems low budget, production-wise, unfortunately. Low budget isn't always bad (My Big Fat Greek Wedding) but this movie had special effects, so it needs a bigger budget, IMHO. In the movie, Edward comes off as creepy stalker and Bella is rude and grumpy. But I keep thinking, they are playing high schoolers...so maybe their portrayal is more realistic than the book? :) The book didn't focus on them being in HS as much as the movie, which I prefer. I am looking forward to New Moon and hope that it's better done overall. I should have a bigger budget based on the success of the series and the first movie.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  19. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jul 25, 2009

Twilight is my guilty pleasure! I, too am on team Edward in the book...but holy geesh! Have you guys seen the trailors for New Moon? Jacob looks smoking without a shirt! OK, now I feel like a pervert :)

20. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jul 25, 2009

I'm also hoping that New Moon is better than Twilight. I still own the movie, because it is Twilight, but you are all right...not nearly as good as the books. I think I like the Edward I have in my head better.

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

He's a chef - but he wants to go back & finish school to be a surveyor. Kitchens have crazy hours.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who thought Bella was really snotty in the movie. In the book, she just seemed kind of... dunno, vacant & preoccupied, but not actually rude. Fingers crossed for New Moon - but the preview has me worried :(

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 25, 2009

I really dislike Bella in the movie. I don't know if it's the way the movie was directed or the actress. She does seem grumpy.

23. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

Yeah, I thought Bella in the movie was subpar! And here's my thing: the whole in the woods seen in the movie was way too rushed!

24. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

I think she (Kristin) could pull off a better Bella if she didn't scowl or bite her lip as much. But they film scenes several times & the producers and directors pick the scenes to edit together so they are responsible for the choices.

Also I didn't like how many times they mentioned how to kill a vampire...it was redundant. Again blame post production for that... they could have edited the voice out of the jeep scene at least.

I thought the scene when she looks back at Edward in the lunchroom after first seeing him was awkward. Way too personal of a look in a public place...it was like she was at a bachelorette party with male dancers.

Other than that, I thought she was a good choice for Bella and I really don't blame the actress for these things. She was probably doing what she was told.

Robert (Edward) started off good (lunch room scene) then got creepy. I think that was done on purpose bc of how they changed the storyline with the murders. For the few people that didn't read the book, they wanted you to believe that the Cullens were involved with the murders. But I think Robert finished strong as Edward.

Jacob always annoyed me in the books; he just never got the message or went away. Then when you think he's got it, he imprints on their daughter! Annoying. However, Jacob was portrayed better in the movie; that actor did a fantastic job.

25. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 25, 2009

Here is how I came to terms with the movie because I wanted to enjoy it. I figured its like looking at a picture or small video of a loved one. Have you ever looked at a picture with someone else and said "You can't tell in this picture, but he was very..."

It cannot really capture who they are or how beautiful they are. Its a quick glimpse at them. People who don't know them (haven't read the books) couldn't possibly "really" know them at all. This way, if you were too lazy or stubborn to read it then you don't deserve to know them... not the way I know them.

The scene in the woods would NEVER live up to what happened in my mind regardless of how they portrayed it in the movie. The movie, with those actors, couldn't possibly give me that memory better or even close to what I already have.

26. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

In the scene where they arrived at school together for the first time, I thought Edward's smile was really hot and captured Edward's confidence in the book.

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2009

Totally with you on that!! Team Edward all the way!! In fact, going to buy a t-shirt to wear to the movie. And Taylor does look good!!

My dd loves watching the movie..I can't count how many times we've seen it...but it never gets old.
    I like the movie as long as I don't think about the book. Oh yes and Edward is soooooo much hotter in my mind.

I love that scene!!