Twilight Absences

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ValinFW, Nov 21, 2008.

1. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Nov 21, 2008

How many of your adolescent and teenaged students are absent today because their parents allowed them to go to the midnight premier of Twilight last night?

3. erh3794

erh3794 Rookie

Nov 21, 2008

im in 9th grade. half of the high school i attend is out, due to the twilight movie! its insane!
    Its honestly the students free day, beacause theres not enough people to make a class. :/

4. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Nov 21, 2008

Oh my goodness!!! I admit I love the book, but kids (and parents!) need to get a grip! lol! Go see it tonight if you have the need! Luckily, I live in a town that only has the capacity to play one movie at a time, we're still on Madagascar 2, it'll be a while for Twilight! :)

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 21, 2008

I wanted to get a sub b/c I went and saw it last night...haha...so tired

6. coffeeteacher

coffeeteacher Rookie

Nov 21, 2008

I teach ninth grade, and while I don't have absences, I do have a group of girls in hand-made shirts that say "Twilight 12:01 AM".

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2008

I'm going to see it tonight! I don't think if I had a teenage daughter that I would allow her to go to the 12:00 showing and miss school.

8. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Nov 21, 2008

One of my students who is absent has failed my class the first two grading periods. I think it's ridiculous that she has ANY privileges left!

9. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Nov 21, 2008

I am going Sunday. Already bought the tickets. Can't wait.

I was going to see it at midnight, but I decided not to take a day off school for a movie. I knew I would never be able to make it all day today if I got home at 3 in the morning.

There are a few kids absent today, but most of them are proudly walking around like zombies just to say they were the first to see it.

10. Yen

Yen Rookie

Nov 21, 2008

I teach first grade so none of mine are out. However there is a teacher who took today off so she could go last night.
    I'm going tonight with a group of about 18 girls from around my district.
    Should be a good time! :)

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, I would think they would WANT to show up and talk about it!! I would gladly allow my kids to go to a midnight showing of a movie like that-my friends and I always hit the midnight showing of Harry Potter, dressed up-but then you do have to still function the next day. The exhaustion is part of the event!

12. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Nov 21, 2008

It wouldn't bother me if my students were out. I have enough to worry about without keeping track of why they are absent. They just have work to make up!

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 21, 2008

At work I heard someone say that they took their daughter to see it last night. They got home around 2am but she insisted her daughter go to school!

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2008

That's what would have happened in my house--sometimes it "sucks" to have a mother who's a teacher! :lol:

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 21, 2008

I took my daughter to see it at midnight, and she couldn't WAIT to go to school today to tell everyone about it.

I like doing those "on the edge, but safely" kinds of things with my daughter. We had a blast!

16. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2008

Hmmmm...maybe THAT'S where they all were! Hadn't thought about it.

Of course, some seniors think that Fridays are optional anyway.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2008

The Senior "Big Sister" to my Freshman homeroom went.

But she was in school today.

I think it's cool that her parents let her go, as long as she understood that today was a school day. (And I think she had a Precalculus test today too.)

18. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Nov 21, 2008

My God, I can see where some kids get their sense of entitlement these days.

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 22, 2008

From what I know just one of my sophomores was out due to this. But I did have 3-4 kids absent in each class and that is definitely not typical for me. It did snow in the morning though and we have a lot of walkers so I pretty much figured the desire to stay in bed and not walk in the snow was the main reason for the absence.

As for me, I'll go see it in a few weeks when the hype has slowed down. I can't stand seeing movies in crowded theaters; I'm picky about where I sit :).

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2008

I had a lot of kids out but I think they were just starting Thanksgiving early.

If my kids missed school because they actually read a book AND liked it, and wanted to see the movie, I would be ecstatic.

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 22, 2008

If my child went to see Twilight, he or she would likely have to go to school the next day. I would let my child do something like that, but it would be intelligent if the movie came out in theaters on a Friday evening instead of a school night, based on its audience.

22. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 22, 2008

Friday was the day it came out, but many theatres run special midnight showings if it is a movie with a lot of hype.

23. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Nov 24, 2008

Good point! :)

24. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2008

I'd let my kids miss school because of this. Maybe I'm a bad mom...but once in a while, everyone needs to blow off "work" for a mental health day!

I took them to see Miley Cyrus in concert last January and we all stayed home the next day. It was the only day they missed all year. And we had a blast, both at the concert and the next day...it was in a big city close by, and my mil got us a fancy hotel room...we ordered room service and had manicures.

Anyway, I think missing school for a fun reason once in a while is ok if the kid's got good grades and generally responsible behavior.
    Kim

25. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Nov 26, 2008

I remember when Lord of the Rings: Return of the King came out. I was a HUGE LOTR geek and mom took me and a couple of my friends to see it at midnight with school the next day (I was a HS senior). The deal was that we all had to go to school the next day, though. I think we got home around 3:45 a.m. and I couldn't fall asleep for an hour or more because I was so excited, haha!

I agree that as long as you're a good student and this type of school skipping isn't a habit, then why not? It won't make or break you and you have a great memory for years to come.

26. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Nov 26, 2008

I have two friends who love the series and it was discusses so much I finally bought Twilight last week and read it in three days. I went to work Friday and waited until that night to see it so I didn't miss anything, but I did take pictures of all the craziness.
    When Spiderman 3 came out a parent pulled their child out of school early to see the midnight showing. The child wasn't in school the next day and the parent was upset because the absence wasn't excused.

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 26, 2008

OK I will say it
    I think it was foolish to go to a Movie at 12:01 AM on a school night
    this isn't your father's school days anymore
    My step daughter went I did not know until the last minute
    she was going but she is 18 and thinks she knows everything
    and if she had not bought the tickets before hand I would have said no

All I know My dad would not have let me go
    School nights are not for socializing IMHO
    After all don't we need to maximize our time on task?
    Tired kids don't stay on task very well

28. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 26, 2008

I'm flabbergasted that I find myself agreeing with IrishDave. Hope I'm not coming down with something.

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 26, 2008

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    No you are a dad