Twice Exceptional Children Modifications

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustT, Apr 28, 2008.

1. JustT

JustT Comrade

Apr 28, 2008

I just found Colorado School District's Resource Book about Twice Exceptional Children. The only other one I've found similar to this is from Montgomery County School District in Maryland.

It seems like these two school district screen and recognize 2 E children with a specific IEP to accomodate 2 E children.

The state I'm in, Texas, seems to be in the exploratory phase IMO.

Are there other districts out there who are recognizing 2 E children?

Colorado School District

Montgomery School District

NEA Twice Exceptional Dilema

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2008

I have a twice exceptional child in my gifted LA class. He is on the spectrum, although very mild. He has a special ed. case manager, and since his goals are all behavioral, it is very easy to manage his IEP.

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Apr 29, 2008

Our twice exceptional have two IEPs as well.

5. JustT

JustT Comrade

Apr 29, 2008

I've been reading the identification process from the Colorado site and it seems like, at first glance, NCLB on a flip?

It states on page 20 "Students may be performing at grade level and be eligible for twice-exceptional programming because they have a discrepancy between ability and achievement.

Well, there are many students who don't do their best in class... we consider underachievers or just lazy.

So it also states a "discrepancy between verbal and non-verbal scores may be present on CogAT. Achievement discrepancies can exist between oral and written expression..... "

OK just rambling now... but the NCLB thought came after reading 2E students must have a disability as defined by IDEA.....marked difference between ability achievement and evidence of a processing deficit.

That's interesting. I have never had a 2E student but hear they are around. Sometimes I can see these traits in many GT students.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 29, 2008

I've had five 2E children over the years. Four were autistic (we run a program for high -functioning autistic children at our school, so that stands to reason.) It is next to impossible to officially get into the gifted program if you are 2E right now (in my opinion.) I think they are moving towards making it easier, but even with the best of intentions, it is hard to identify these particular children because they often refuse to complete the tests needed to identify them.

I think that is one of the biggest problems....they don't get identified officially...and so no program is set up for them.

7. JustT

JustT Comrade

Apr 30, 2008

Good point. I can understand this being a parent of a possible 2E teenager (still assessing). Parenting and student study habits comes under fire when you have a serious underachiever. I'm sure many of my sons teachers have questioned their own teaching practices.

8. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

May 1, 2008

First, I am the mother of a 2E son, he is 8. He was accepted into the gifted program this year, he has been in a speech program since pre-school, and he is labeled ADHD (we do NOT take medication...we use coping strategies and he is doing great!)

Second, in my classroom this year I have gifted children who also have other accomidations - 2 are also in speech, 1 is in special education, and 3 are also labeled with a specific learning disability (writing).

These students do have to separate IEPs - one for gifted and a second for other accomidations. The majority of them were first labeled with their "disability", then identified as gifted because that program does not officially start until 3rd or 4th grade.