TV influence

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mollydoll, Sep 3, 2010.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2010

I need to ask for some homework help. As one component in a larger paper, we need to watch tv between 8 and 11 pm and reflect on the influences kids see, including commercials.

I hate tv with a passion and have no access other than once in a while something through my apple tv box. I have a fairly new HDTV but no reception of any kind will come through except some random super fuzzy weather channel. I do not know anyone where I am now living so I can't go hang out in somebody's living room.

If you kind a to z'ers can give me some observations on this, I think I could pull it together, especially if I also do some research. It isn't due for at least a month. I shouldn't need much detail really, just show name and time, a few observations, then similar for the commercials. Actually, I can buy a show on iTunes, so even just a few notes about primetime commercials would do the trick.

Thanks for any help!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2010

I watch very little TV, so I"m not of much help.

But you will want to consider the ages of the kids likely to be watching at that time.

For what it's worth:
    My 7 year old is normally in bed at 8. She can watch TV,but it's either the Disney Channel or PBS.

My 10 year old is in bed by 8:30 or 9. (The school year, and accompanying bedtime negotiations, haven't begun yet.) So the TV she's watching during that first hour you're interested in range from the Disney Channel to Teen Nick (depending on the actual program.)

MY 12 year old son is the night owl. But during the school year, he's in bed by 9:30. He loves the military channel, though he can also be caught watching Disney or even The Nanny (the newest obsession of all 3 kids)

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 3, 2010

I watch tv on my computer. If you go to www.hulu.com you can get full episodes of most current tv shows. Also, they do run commercials. There are not as many as there are on regular television but you will get an idea. I think it's 1 commercial for every 3 that you see on tv. Hope this helps.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2010

I was going to say Hulu too. Many, many TV shows are available online for free download on the websites for the regular network channels, too. Pick two or three of them and you should be good to go.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2010

Hulu doesn't have the regular network commercials though, which is what I really need.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2010

Can you go to a sports bar for dinner one night? The ones I've been to always have like 50 different TVs.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 3, 2010

What do you mean by regular commercials. I just saw a Geico commercial. Wouldn't that qualify?

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2010

If you went to a Best Buy or some other home electronics store, I'm sure you could hang out in the TV dept for a few hours...or maybe you could partner up with someone from your class and share their TV...

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2010

Regular meaning whatever they show on network TV.

I can't really go anywhere very far from where I live because I am recovering from surgery and can't drive--my class is online.

I will probably just research what I can and hope that I don't get marked off too much. I hate assignments like that end up being so much more difficult than they need to be.

11. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 3, 2010

abcfamily.go.com you can watch shows around 24 hours or so after they air

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2010

Most of the major networks have shows you can watch online for free - www.fox.com and www.abc.com are the ones I use.

As for what the kids are watching these days - I know Glee is pretty popular (ok, I love it too); they talk about Family Guy; Hannah Montana is still pretty popular; Gossip Girl (is that on TV? Or is it an online show?); American Idol; So You Think You Can Dance... that's all I can remember.

My personal opinion of prime-time TV? Too violent; too much sex; too much cussing; too much glamorization of drugs for kids to be watching. Since I watch my shows online a day or so after they air, I don't see any of the commercials.