TV in the classroom?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by puff5655, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 24, 2006

Very valid point kinderkids. Thanks for stating that.

2. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2006

thanks, Miss W....... There is a very large Amish community near where I live, and although I look at it as a very different life that I couldn't do, I certainly respect their religion and give them lots of credit for living like that despite all the modern day conveniences they are surrounded by.

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2006

I agree, and I respect that as well.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2006

I could live without television. My husband thinks he couldn't. There is sooooo much garbage on . However, there are some really interesting channels(history, AMC, of course WEATHER!) However, we could all get by without watching any of those channels. When my kids were little, I monitored what they watched. The only 2 programs that they watched every day were Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street. I have always told them that t.v. is a waste of time and none of it matters. I think the world would be a better place without television and computers. Oh by the way, I love debating...surprise, surprise.

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2006

nmk, is there a policy regarding the tv and internet for teachers and employees of the school? Just curious, this is the first I have heard of a situation like this.:)

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2006

Grammy, I agree with a lot of what you are saying too. I can't say that nothing good can come from having the internet, but there is a lot of garbage that does come from it. In a perfect world I guess we would be able to take all the garbage out of it, and keep the good stuff, like informational websites, etc. I don't know about anyone else, but I look a lot of stuff up on the internet, for illnesses, general info., etc. Things that I'd like to research you could say. It has come in handy in many situations for me and my family, especially when we were trying to understand my cousin's cancer, her sister's Epilepsy, and other situations. It's a whole world of knowledge at your fingertips. However, letting children roam around the internet on chat rooms, etc. is just scary. There is A LOT of needless garbage that we could do without.

One of my daycare grandparents has an issue with her teenage son. He has been in a lot of trouble. This same teenager has his own computer in his room, hooked to the internet...UGH! I just want to SCREAM at her! People can be so stupid!

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 24, 2006

It's just my husband and me at home now. We have four televisions in our house - and that suits us just fine! My husband is a flipper, so he watches his tv in the bedroom. I watch the one here in the computer room. There is a tv in the living room that doesn't get used too much. And, we have the tv in the kitchen.

Just tonight, on the NBC news they showed a clip of John F. Kennedy's inauguration. Robert Frost was supposed to read a poem that he had written for the occasion. He was 86 years old and the time and could not read his own writing. Mr. Frost started to recite the new poem and then gave up and recited another poem from memory. The original written poem has just surfaced and is now being made public.

I find that kind of thing interesting and informative. I never would have seen it - if not for television.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2006

I watch a lot of history channel and TLC. I don't watch sitcoms at all, and I don't like reality tv. I do love anything in the documentary format, and I"d especially miss the Twilight Zone marathon that airs on New Years. I love British Comedies on PBS. Oh, and I love TV Land when they show old sitcoms (I Love Lucy, Leave it TO Beaver, Andy Griffith)........I guess I do watch sitcoms, just not new ones. I like Mash and Seinfeld too, not real old, but older! :)

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2006

Glendall, those are the kinds of things I really like about television...as you said JenPooh...I am constantly looking things up on the internet...it is very handy. Sometimes in the middle of cooking, I will look up information about a recipe...it's endless the amount of information at our fingertips. When I talk to my mom , who has no computer nor any interest in one,) she reminds me of their simple life when she was young...playing in the pastures until dark, the whole family cooking the evening meal, helping with chores, etc. That to me is what life should be like...but of course we have this thing called progress...which in many ways has helped...medically for example. I wish life was simple. It's just not.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

I love the History channel, and the Biography channel as well. I don't watch a lot of sitcoms, but I do watch Grey's Anatomy and American Idol. Other than that, I don't have a lot of things I truly "must see" on tv. I use to, but nothing really interests me anyone.

Oh, I also like watching the DYI network and other handyman/woman ;) shows. I love to get ideas for my home from them!

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 25, 2006

Let's see... I watch news, weather, Crossing Jordan, and I've lately been watching NCIS. I also love old reruns and some of those DVD on TV movies. It's neat to see how they've made movies.

12. JulieC

JulieC Rookie

Apr 25, 2006

I only use a video in the classroom as a treat - the kids are allowed to pick a Disney (or similar) show for their birthday and we play it during the party. More often than not, we won't get to see it all. The only difference that I can see between TV and a video/DVD is the advertising for toys/snacks/"kids" food. I love lots of the US shows (at the moment I'm following Lost - or not as the case may be) but the amount of ad breaks on American tv is staggering. As for a school telling the parents not to have a TV at home, how is that monitored - do you have to trust the parents to comply?

13. PB&J

PB&J Rookie

Apr 25, 2006

Shows on Nick Jr and PBS don't have commercials during the shows. Videos have so many previews to buy other videos it's rediculous! Yes, I know you can fast forward, it's just a point that there really is not a difference!

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 25, 2006

A lot of videos are beginning to put commercials on them as well (at the beginning).

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

That is what I love about the Noggin channel. They don't have "commercials" like other stations. They have transitions between shows that teach more learning on top of it. That is my favorite kids station...during the day at least. At night it is geared more for older children.

16. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 25, 2006

Ok, I'm back... lets see how much of this I can respond to.

The area where I live is not specifically a religious place, like the Amish communities. There are many different types of people here. However, the school is part of a general religious community that spans many of the neighborhoods in the city. Almost noone who is not interested in this type of education for their children will apply to the school, the few of the parents that are not interested who may apply, would just walk through the halls of the school and not be interested anymore. There have been times that parents have gotten around the policy. The school does their best to inforce it by encouraging children to tell their parents "I don't like the things I see on TV." I know of a student who switched out while still in lower elementary school, and she convinced her parents to remove the television, because she didn't like what she saw. These parents, who were mostly brought up within this lifestyle, are taught to be very honest. Are there no lyers? No. But people are (hopefully) a little too honest to sign a paper saying "I have no television in my home, and no internet available to my children" if this is not true.

All religious teachers in the school are required to follow this policy (obviously, if a teacher from a different religion came to teach, the only requirement would be that they not talk about it to the students).

Miss W, while I think that it would be better to teach students how to properly use the internet, I think this does not need to be done in elementary school at all, and I guess for high school, I would have to think about it more before I gave my opinion. As for television, I still feel it's better to just leave it out all together. The radio is just as good for news.

17. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

nmk, do you mind if I ask what religion is it?

18. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 25, 2006

Gosh Jen, I'll have to think about that...

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 25, 2006

Do you not have technology frameworks that you have to teach? Does a private school not have to be accountable to state frameworks?

20. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 25, 2006

I don't know anything about state frameworks in technology, I haven't heard anything though. However, I, and many students of schools in this community, have good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Publisher; Quickbooks, and WordPerfect9, all from high school. So we do get technology in!

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 25, 2006

We have certain technology frameworks that have to be taught certain years, kindergarten through 12th grade. That's why I asked the question.

22. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 25, 2006

Never heard of it!
    The students also do math and language work on computers in the computer lab in grades K-6, twice a week.

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

I would do well without television or computers.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2006

Grammy - with 2535 posts so far you'd do well without computers? We'd miss you!!:p

As far as the Nature channel, Discovery, etc...whatever. I watch a lot of crap on TV and I love it. I'm a little reality tv addicted- I'm looking for a support group (LOL) Survivor, Amazing Race are my must sees. I like American Idol but end up missing it most of the time. Also Sopranos but I'm not loving this season. All of this viewing is done in the privacy of my home, after I finish my work for school, grad class, tutoring, laundry, etc, etc.

I still think 30 minutes a day in school is a bit much. As a parent I would question it. I find kids are starting to lack in imagination, play skills, fine and gross motor skills and I put a lot of the blame on tv, video games, movies. (Kids even watch movies on dvd in cars for god's sake- no more looking out the window, kiddies!!) How about some music, or hands on activities to teach the same concepts, or a nture walk instead of a nature video, or a great read aloud? There definitely is a place for videos in education but 30 minutes everyday????

25. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

You come and do what I do for 55-60 hours a week and then you can tell me 30 minutes is too much. They watch it while I make lunch. Having to do everything all by myself, while at home alone all day...I NEVER have parents ask me any questions about it.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2006

I see a difference between home daycare for 10-11 hours per day and preschool.

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

czacza, yea, that is funny what you said about my posts and then I say I could do without a computer!!! Hahahaha!
    Well, I just figured if I didn't have one, I would pursue more reading, writing and I want to do water colors, but here I am ... it's an addiction.
    I agree that the "schools" shouldn't be watching videos at all. They are only there for about 7 hours a day. Some kids in daycares are there for up to 12 hours and television can be a valuable tool. In the summer, it gets very, very hot here and we can only spend so much time outside in the afternoons. Occasionally, it's nice to relax for a half hour or so watching PBS. It's really quite harmless.
    JenPooh, I love Nogin. That's what we let our grandson watch when he is here...but most of the time he is busy getting into stuff.

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

We use to play the license plate game.....that was so much fun!!!! Do kids even play that game anymore? Lots of kids bring their gameboys, DVD's, etc along with them in the car and don't even know what the outside world looks like!
    Oh, I wish we got NOGGIN and Boomerang on our TV

29. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

I agree...if a child is watching a 30 minute video at a 3 hour a day preschool, where is the learning?

We play the sign game when we are traveling. Don't ask me really how to play, my son made it up. He tells me what color sign to look for and I have to find one...I think that's how it goes. We take turns. We need something to do while on the road for 4 hours going up north practically once a month. And we don't have one of those fancy schmancy vans with the DVD player, so we have no choice but to do it old school style. To be honest, time goes much faster the old school way!:) And it's more fun!

30. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 25, 2006

Jen!

One of my little guys watches the Letter Factory video at home, and he is currently OBSESSED with vowels. It would be really funny if he could actually do anything else with the letters, but... nope. it's just the vowels.

It used to be the "A says aaaah" song. Now it's the vowels. What else on the video do I get to look forward to hearing? I've never seen the video.

31. lindalou

lindalou Rookie

Apr 25, 2006

I have to respond to this thread just to horrify all of you! At our school, each grade level has movie afternoon once a month. This is a reward incentive for the students and MUCH NEEDED (can I capitalize that bigger??? lol) planning time for the teachers. At my first grade level, there are five teachers so I have movie in my classroom 2-3 times/year (for 2 1/2 classes) and COMPLETELY FREE AFTERNOONS the remaining movie days. We show only G-rated movies or we can send permission slips home if we want to watch something like Shrek (PG), which is ridiculous b/c most of my little guys are watching Saw, The Ring, Hostel, Ice Harvest and other R-rated scary, violent movies at home that I don't even allow my 11 year old to see! That is another can of worms...

32. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 25, 2006

Linda,

I don't think that's horrifying. It's not something that's being done every day or every week. You said it's used as an incentive, so I would assume that means there's an alternative for kids who don't earn the privilege... it's something they work for and, in that sense, serves a purpose. No, it's not insanely educational, but it DOES have value. It's not that much different than classes/schools who have half an hour or whatever of "free time" at the end of the week... it's less frequent but probably lasts as long when you add it all together. :)

But then again, the school I was at least year had the kids watching 20-40 minutes of videos a day (part of our lunch rotation, weren't allowed to have ano utdoor recess time as part of our lease... but that's another story!). We tried to find Reading Rainbow, etc., but the kids didn't sit as well for those as they did for Disney movies... No, I wasn't a big fan of it. But it wasn't my decision!!!

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2006

linda, I don't think that is horrifying either.:)

clarnet...I laughed so hard when I read your post! LOL! My kiddos love one part in the Talking Words Factory where the guy scares the letter A and it goes "AHHHH". They constantly "perform" the part for me, over and over. They all think it's hilarious.

One of my girls I have learned her letters a lot easier by watching the Letter Factory video. I don't know how, but she just learns a lot from them, it's her thing. I struggled with her, then showed her the video and it's like a lightbulb went off! Ding!

34. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 26, 2006

I think 30 minutes daily is a bit much, but... Our lowest elementary school (Pk-1st) turns on Nick Jr. (I think that's the one) in the cafeteria in the morning. This is where they hold the kids that arrive too early to go to the classrooms. You know, the ones who's parents drop them off 20 minutes before the teachers are supposed to be there.

35. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2006

Like I said;)...

36. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 26, 2006

But there's a difference between that and the preschool classes at our school. Lunch is fixed in the cafeteria, not by the classroom teacher.

37. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2006

Are those kids allowed to be dropped off that early or are they suppose to wait until school starts? I always remember in Elem. school that we had to play outside on the playground if we were dropped off early. Then when school started the teachers came to get their class. We weren't allowed in the school, even if it's 10 below outside...that wasn't fun.

38. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 26, 2006

They really aren't allowed to be dropped off that early. They can come to the classrooms 20 minutes before the tardy bell rings. The kids that come earlier are sent into the cafeteria to wait. They really don't want the kids to be unsupervised, even if it's not time for them to be there yet. The custodian usually opens the doors early if he sees kids waiting outside by themselves.

39. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2006

I absolutely love the leapfrog videos.
    Last year I bought Letter Factory on a Tuesday, my 4 yr old brother watched it the rest of the week, and on Saturday he picked up a book and started reading! Before he watched the movie, he only knew the letters in his name. It was great!

40. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 26, 2006

Just to prove a point, is the Letter Factory on TV?

Jen, I'm an Orthodox Jew.