TV during dinner

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Feb 5, 2010.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 5, 2010

Do you have it on most nights during dinner? Sometimes we do, but I usually don't mind if it's something we both like. I don't like it when it's just a show my husband wants that I don't care to listen to but have to since it's dinner time (military or news about war)! I'm trying to figure out if I should just let him watch his show and then we can talk afterwards about our days, etc or to say no tv or only something we both want.

What's dinner like at your house? :)

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 5, 2010

Sometimes we do. Growing up we had the tv as we ate dinner so it doesn't bother me. If I am eating dinner by myself then I def watch tv

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 5, 2010

I don't mind the tv but I don't like it when I know I have to be quiet when I have things to say since he just got home!

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2010

I do a lot because I'm home by myself. My husband and I work opposite shifts so we never get to eat dinner together.

This thread made me think of the book Matilda and how the dad makes them eat their TV dinners in front of the TV every night-I just finished reading it to my class!

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2010

All my life! I can't remember the TV ever being off during dinner.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2010

we have it on every night and we eat at tv tables even though there is a dining room. It will NOT be like that when we move into our new house, I already talked to my BF about it. I don't pay attention to what or how much I am eating if I do that.

8. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Feb 5, 2010

My boyfriend and I never watch tv during dinner. I grew up where we could watch tv during dinner unless my dad was home. That wasn't very often since he was a truck driver. I really never cared for watching tv during dinner or tv in general. And after three years, we have decided to finally get cable next week so we can watch LOST. hahah

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 6, 2010

Exactly the same here. The only time I'm not watching TV while eating is while going out to a restaurant. I admit it's not the best habit to have gotten into, but oh well!

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 6, 2010

When we had kids it was dinner at the table and NO TV. Now that we are old timers, we eat in the living room and have the TV on. We read a lot, so TV is off during reading time. We sometimes have music on while we read.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 6, 2010

We chat all day online and through the phone, so there usually isn't anything pressing to discuss during dinner. I'd say we use the dining room table and couch about 50/50. The couch is so old and ready to be ousted that I don't care too much if food is dropped on it. If we got a new couch, it would be much different, and you can't really watch tv from the dining room table.

I should add that we usually end up eating dinner around 7:30/8pm, so our tv shows are usually starting right when we eat.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2010

If Peter is working during dinner, I'll sometimes let the kids have a "TV dinner" and eat in the living room as a treat. But those occasions are pretty rare.

But if everyone is home, the TV is off. It's family time.

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 6, 2010

We never have the TV on during dinner. Whether it's just me and the kids or dh included, there's no TV on ever. Maybe three or four times in their lives we've let the kids eat in front of the TV as a special treat, but we constantly have to remind ds to eat when that happens because he's so distracted by the TV so it doesn't really work that well.

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 6, 2010

Since it's just me, I usually eat in front of the TV--and in my apartment, the kitchen and living room are one big open space, so I even have it on when I'm washing dishes, etc. I've eaten at the table only a handful of times--I actually use it as extra counter space because I have so little.

When I was growing up, we ate all our meals at the kitchen table. The only exception was when there was a Packer game on--then we got to take our pizza into the living room! Now that it's just my parents at home, they'll often eat in the living room. My sister, who is a sophomore in college, actually was quite upset with my dad when she was home for Christmas break and they didn't sit down for a "family dinner."

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 6, 2010

If it's just me I sometimes eat in the living room watching tv. When my husband is home for dinner we eat in the dining room so the tv is too far away to have on.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 6, 2010

I live with a couple of roommates, and we all eat a different times, so yes, I eat in front of the TV. It helps me to not feel alone!

Growing up we NEVER watched TV while we ate!! We always ate at the table as a family and food was not allowed anywhere except at the table. Now that all the kids are gone, by parents have the TV on while they eat supper at the table. The TV is in the next room, and you can't really see it from the table so they just crank the volume and listen. My dad thinks they need a TV in the kitchen so it can be more like a sports bar!!

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 6, 2010

We don't. Ironically though we've replaced the idea of eating while watching tv with eating while on the computer. We try to have family table dinners as often as possible but we go with the flow and sometimes it is while we are on the computer.

18. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Feb 6, 2010

No tv during dinner for us. I grew up watching the news during TV, but I really don't think the news is appropriate for kids to watch all the time so we have chosen to not get in the habit. I do watch tv while home alone, but it drives me nuts that my mother expects the tv to be on in my house when she comes to eat with us!!

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2010

Growing up, we always ate meals as a family at the dining room table. There wasn't a television in the room.

Most of the time I'm home alone, and I'll eat on a wooden tray table in the living room and watch the news. When DH is home we eat in the dining room. The television is not in that room.

20. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Feb 6, 2010

DH and I don't even have a table at this point, so we eat at the coffee table in front of the TV. Once we have a house and children (and a dining table), we won't watch TV during dinner. My dad used to watch the news during dinner and my mom hated it.

21. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Feb 6, 2010

Growing up, my parents made us have family time at dinner, meals were always at the kitchen table. My boyfriend and I on the other hand, have used our kitchen table three times; twice during big family get togethers (my family down from NY or his parents over), and once when we had an anniversary dinner). Other than that, we sit on the couch and watch TV while eating dinner. Though we have said, that when we have a family, dinner is spent at the table! But until then I guess our table is used for collecting stuff =) lol.

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 6, 2010

We eat at the dining table with Wheel of Fortune (we call it Spin).

I've never not eaten at the kitchen table, even when I lived alone in an apt with no tv in the kitchen. Not even pizza on the sofa.

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2010

I live alone, so I never eat at the table. The TV is ALWAYS on, too. I don't watch it, but because I live alone, I like the noise.

When I was young (and when I go 'home'), we sit at the table. My mom eats in the computer room now that my sister and I are both gone (stepdad eats around 9, so they eat separately). She forgets sometimes when I am home and I have to make her sit down.
    When we lived at home (sister and I), if there was something good on TV, we'd always be leaning over so we could see the TV (it was around a wall).

24. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 6, 2010

I don't mind the tv on as long as I can still talk about what I want to about our days, etc. I don't like it when I am told to not talk after not talking all day to him since he's at work which is understandable so eating time is relaxing/talking time to me too! We're fine, I just wanted to know what it's like for others =)

25. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 6, 2010

I lived in two families equally growing up. At my mom's there was a tv in every room except the bathroom. Tv was unlimited. At my dad's there was one tv in the living room. We were allowed 1 hour of tv per day, and never during dinner.

In my own family now, we don't have tv anywhere on the main floor. We do have a tv/play room in the basement for movies, and we have a TV in our room. We always eat dinner without tv. I have noticed everyone wants to read the newspaper during dinner, though!

26. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Feb 6, 2010

You mean the TV has an off button:lol:?? TV is on all the time, before we had kids and after. As a child, we always has it on and my sister and I were the channel-changers and volume controllers!:|

27. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 7, 2010

Well I still live @ home with my parents, but my mom works out of town so she is gone more than she is home and my sister is moved out so its my dad and I. We rarely sit down and eat together. Mostly cuz' I work a 2nd job and by the time I get home he is usually in bed. We have a tv in the kitchen so he/I always eat with it on wether its both of us or not. I hate it though if hes in there since all he watches is POLITICS!! Talk about depressing!

28. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Feb 7, 2010

No TV at dinner and now we've added cell phones. No texting at the table and that includes eating out. People watch tv, play games, etc all the time. Take a break while you eat.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2010

We haven't had to add that one yet; Brian knows his phone is OFF during dinner and the girls don't have phones yet. But trust me, that one is on the radar!