Tutoring

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teaching tigers, Sep 2, 2008.

1. teaching tigers

teaching tigers Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

My principal is wanting me to look into setting up a tutoring program (before, after, or during school hours). I am finding little help on the internet on how to set this up. Does anybody have a public school district that does tutoring for struggling students? How is your program set up? Any help you could give me would be appreciated! :help:

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 2, 2008

We have an after school tutoring program. The students get a 20 minute break after dismissal and then come in for the tutoring. It's set up sort of like a college tutoring lab. They can do homework by themselves and ask questions as they come up, they can bring in specific issues they're having, or they can have the tutors help diagnose their weak points and design a program to bring them up to speed. I'm not sure how it all works as far as the nuts and bolts, since we have a grant that is funded and staffed by one of the local universities. They set the whole thing up and they're the ones that hire and train the tutors.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 2, 2008

The problem with after school tutoring is the kids are tired of being in school. In middle school they can probably handle it.

You might consider an after school planned down time or after school activity right before the tutoring so they have a positive association. Just an idea..nothing I've tried.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 2, 2008

Oh, I didn't see that the OP was a kindergarden teacher. Well, that throws any ideas I have right out the window.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 2, 2008

Me too...in that case, tutoring MUST be fun.

7. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 2, 2008

By tutoring I'm assuming one-on-one not a study hall? Do you have funds ($) to cover before, during, after or is this supposed to be volunteers? Also, what training will the tutors receive?