Tutoring

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bandnerdtx, Dec 19, 2007.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 19, 2007

Have any of you guys ever worked for Sylvan or Kumon or the like as a tutor?

Were you experiences good, bad, or what?

I'm thinking it might be a nice part time job... :unsure:

3. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Dec 20, 2007

i work for sylvan now and it isn't bad at all. the pay is good for what you do. i am an aide during the day, and i needed the extra money and experience. the only thing is it's SO tiring going from one job to the next. all you do is sit there, though. it can be stressful at first to learn the program (which i am still learning), but isn't awful.

4. ie_master

ie_master Rookie

Dec 25, 2007

haven't tried tutoring a student... maybe sooner or later i can do that also...

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 25, 2007

I worked at Sylvan one summer a couple of years ago. Unlike the previous poster, I didn't enjoy it at all and was paid peanuts--I think I made about $8 per hour.

I felt like I was just giving worksheet after worksheet after worksheet. I couldn't really work with kids on a one-on-one basis, because there were usually three kids at my table, each studying a different thing. One kid might be doing advanced reading, another one doing study skills, and the other one doing math. At most, I could devote about 10 minutes to each kid. I really felt like that was a huge ripoff to the kids AND the parents, who were paying $50 per hour for their kid to get individualized instruction.

Of course, it could have been a problem at my particular center and not at all indicative of Sylvan practices in general.

For summer work and a few (huge emphasis on "few" here) extra bucks, it's not bad. The work isn't difficult or stressful in any way. I'm certain that other geographic areas pay significantly higher wages than the particular location I was in. I've heard of Sylvan teachers making upwards of $30 per hour.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2007

I did tons of private tutoring. It can be sporadic and unpredictable, but you set your own rates and schedule. It worked out really well for me.

7. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Dec 27, 2007

I've been offered a tutoring job @ $24 per hour through the school system. It's for state testing review. It will only be 6-8 hours per week, but I'll be subbing in addition to that until I get a full-time teaching job the new school year. Any kind of paycheck is welcome at this juncture after my previous indentured servitude (lol...aka student teaching)!

8. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Dec 28, 2007

I am currently subbing for 3 districts and started private tutoring at $30/hr. It really gives you that extra money and another item to put on the resume. I put my name on a districts tutor list and then parents call you.