Tutoring

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissL8, Feb 8, 2019.

1. MissL8

MissL8 Rookie

Feb 8, 2019

Hi, fellow teachers! Does anyone tutor on the side? If so, how much do you charge? I've been in contact with an agency that connects teachers to tutoring clients. They want to pay $35/hour. In my opinion that is extremely low, I was thinking more in the range of $50. I'm an experienced teacher with a Masters Degree and multiple state certifications. When I tried to negotiate with them, they informed me that was the going rate for teachers in our area with my level of experience. I'm in Northern NJ. I feel that they are trying to lowball the hourly rate because it is an agency. Do you agree? If you tutor, what do you charge?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 8, 2019

Since most tutors are referred word of mouth, I would say that $35/hour is slightly low, but without having a following, it isn't terribly wrong. A HS that I worked for paid $40/hour for home schooling/tutoring. Is that what the teachers got with a word of mouth clientele? No way. Those teachers never had to take those jobs, because they had as many tutoring students that they could handle, and at a better rate. That said, they also had years of experience in the classroom and that elusive word of mouth. Most of these were teachers of Honors and AP courses, and their tutored students did well not only with grades, but with standardized tests that were used for college admissions. If you want to ask for more, you will not be working for the agency, and you will need to build your client list from scratch. Perhaps a better inquiry would be how to go about getting those first few clients, and then building from there.

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 8, 2019

That is low.I charge $90/hour in central NJ, but keep in mind, that this is for secondary math. It is also in an affluent suburb. All fo the secondary math and science teachers in my district charge this. So many students here get tutored, and they often don't really need it. There is such a huge demand, that by this time of the year, many teachers have to turn down tutoring requests. The district pays a comparable $80/hour for home instructions

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. MissL8

MissL8 Rookie

Feb 8, 2019

Wow! $80 an hour for home instruction? My district pays $45/hour for that, and we're in an affluent area and one of the higher paying districts in the county. Good to know what the other rates are out there! I did think $35 was rather low.

6. MissL8

MissL8 Rookie

Feb 8, 2019

Thank you for the advice. The reason I posted/reached out to this agency is that I'm new to the area and district. I know that many tutoring jobs come from word of mouth but I don't know anyone, outside my colleagues, in this area. In my former district, I had strong relationships with families and was able to obtain tutoring jobs in the more traditional way.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 8, 2019

I currently tutor a very wealthy client and charge $120/hour and I have no qualms doing so — they can afford it. For my regular clients, I typically charge them anywhere from $80-$90/hour. Cha-ching, haha!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2019

You will certainly earn more if you don't go through an agency. I haven't tutored in about 5 years, but was charging between $50 and $60/hour then.

9. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 9, 2019

If you go through an agency, they get a cut of the cost to the student. You might be able to get 50 on your own, but not when you have a middle man doing part of the work for you such as obtaining clients for you. It is the "fee" for their service.

10. futuremathsprof

Feb 9, 2019

Why did you start another thread on the same question?

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 9, 2019

Reach out to your new colleagues and make it known that you would really like to tutor, so if they have students with that specific need, you would welcome a referral. If they are booked solid, or not interested for themselves, you may find business coming your way. Posting on bulletin boards where students and their parents frequent regularly may also get you those important first few clients.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2019

Im in NE Betgen county. I get $70 per hour. An agency is charging clients more than they are paying you and tax will be taken out. Better to go on your own off the books.
    Tutoring is word of mouth. Once you get s client or two your side business will grow. I make about $1200-1500 per month.

13. MissL8

MissL8 Rookie

Feb 10, 2019

That was unintentional.

14. MissL8

MissL8 Rookie

Feb 10, 2019

That was unintentional.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 10, 2019

I've wanted to tutor for years but didn't really have a way to get clients. There isn't really a market for elementary tutoring here- if anything, parents go through agencies like Sylvan which pay their teachers practically minimum wage. Craigslist and other similar sites are full of hundreds of teachers trying to make money tutoring. Parents at my school certainly can't afford anything like that, and none of my friends outside of school have school-age children.

This year my district got a grant to offer tutoring and clubs and I've been doing that for $46 per hour. One of my stipulations that they also agreed to was that I pick the students- and I make sure to pick kids who will work hard and won't be a huge extra burden on me (behaviorally) after already teaching a full day. The grant person also 100% leaves me alone and lets me do my job (no walkthroughs, evaluations, turning anything in, etc.) unless I need help with something. They also supply any extra materials we need and I get paid for 15 minutes of planning time for every 1 hour of tutoring.

I personally have been enjoying it. The kids I tutor are awesome to work with and I like that I don't have to deal with commuting somewhere else (it's right after school), dealing with no shows or cancellations, dealing with collecting money, or dealing with demanding parents. And in my area I honestly don't think I'd make much more money on my own either. I looked into agencies and the absolute most I could find was one that paid $30 per hour- and they wanted you to agree to do many hours per week, tutor K-8 students, and go to student's homes. No thanks!

16. MissL8

MissL8 Rookie

Feb 11, 2019

That is similar to this agency. They've said that "you make your schedule," yet they've already asked me about several clients that are quite far from my school/home, despite not signing on with them yet. I'm thinking I should go with my gut on this one. My school also has a grant for after school tutoring, which I am doing. It just started but it has been enjoyable. What state do you teach in, Waterfall?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  17. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 27, 2019

You should also keep in mind (at least in my district) that teachers "collude" to not undercut the going rate... at least in my experience they do. I charge $60, but IMO it feels a little high. I sometimes offer a "buy x, get one free" type situation to those who seem to be on the fence with it. Because I don't want to lose the opportunity, as it is relatively easy. I also would like to do more, but currently don't have many clients.

18. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Mar 3, 2019

I've charged $50/hour in the past, and this honestly felt low for the amount of preparation that I was putting in before every hour session. I have a current younger student paying $40/half hour. It requires almost no prep, so that was a no brainer for me. I have a parent inquiry, and I will probably raise my rate to $60, if it's going to be an hour. $50 for 45 minutes.

19. futuremathsprof

Mar 3, 2019

What subject(s) do you tutor? And I’m curious, how much prep do you do normally for your tutoring sessions? I prep for college classes I tutor for (Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Complex Analysis, Advanced Calculus, etc.), but almost never for high school coursework and below.

20. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Mar 3, 2019

I tutor in Spanish and ESL/TESOL. All international students who come to my school intend to attend a university here, so they are preparing to eventually take the TOEFL. For the international students I have prepared for 40+ minutes, including before and after the tutoring session. I make sure they have goals in reading, writing, speaking and listening.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 4, 2019

Nobody here will pay anything close to that for tutoring. The most I ever got was $22.50 per hour for a small group. :rolleyes: It was't worth it to me.

22. deepak

deepak New Member

Mar 7, 2019

Its totally depends on your experience & skills you have . As per market research it will bew 30-90$.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 7, 2019

Find community bulletin boards such as the library (you might have to ask permission), grocery store, etc. I see tutoring flyers all the time. There are actually 2 math tutoring flyers up as of last night at my local grocery store so I'm assuming people do this kind of thing a lot to advertise.