Tutoring?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by missml, Aug 12, 2012.

1. missml

missml Rookie

Aug 12, 2012

I posted this on another forum and got great responses, but I still don't feel completely ready to begin tutoring. I'll take any advice I can get! So here it is:

School starts this week, and as much as I wanted my own classroom this year, I will be subbing another year instead. However, I will need to find an additional source of income. There are fast-food/restaurant options and retail options, but I'd rather do something that will allow me to use my educational training/experience. Do any of you tutor elementary/middle school students in the evenings during the school year? How would I start doing so? How do I know how much to charge? I live in a small, somewhat rural community and am not near any military bases nor am I accessible to "NCLB" tutoring. Would you recommend I tutor privately or try using a company such as Wyzant?

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 12, 2012

I've done privately and through Wyzant. It stinks to Wyzant takes a percentage. The percentage starts high, but gets lower with time tutoring. What I like about Wyzant is I don't have to ask the parents or anything for money. It is all handled online through them so there's never anything awkward. I do have to charge a little more to offset this cost, but I eat some of it as well.

I've tutored middle school (grade 6) through high school (and actually even college) math. There's always been a TON of jobs through Wyzant during the year...I had to turn several down. I don't know how other subjects or elementary are, and I also was in a more suburban area.

I've also posted on Craigslist with varying degrees of success. I found a few long term clients on Craigslist, but I think many parents trust Wyzant more for whatever reason. In any case, I typically charged around $50/hour, and people told me that that price was a steal for my area.

4. quixotic

quixotic Rookie

Aug 12, 2012

I just started tutoring a child (charging $50/hr). This job was from a referral, but otherwise I would try Craigslist. I posted on Craigslist when I was looking for a nanny position years ago, and I had great results.

Good luck!

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 12, 2012

If you contact local school districts, they may be in need of homebound tutors, too. They're always looking for people at my school. You would probably need to contact the Pupil Services office (or whatever the equivalent would be in your area).

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

Go to www.vistaprint.com and make up some free business cards; they'll cost about $7 to ship.

Come up with a cover letter that emphasizes your qualifications. If you have any background in the appropriate standardized tests remember to mention it. Then mail it to the local schools. (I'm secondary, so I would go to the director of guidance.) Remember, you want public, private, charter and religious schools. Include some of those business cards in each letter, and ask them to pass your name on to any kids who need tutoring.