Tutoring?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by missml, Aug 9, 2012.

1. missml

missml Rookie

Aug 9, 2012

School starts next week, so I have made peace with the fact that I will be subbing another year. However, I will need to find an additional source of income. There are fast-food/restaurant options and retail options, but I'd rather do something that will allow me to use my educational background. Do any of you tutor elementary/middle school students in the evenings during the school year? How would I start doing so? How do I know how much to charge? I live in a small, somewhat rural community, so using online programs to find students who need tutoring will be more difficult than if I lived in a larger city. Any advice is appreciated! :)

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 9, 2012

You could tutor privately, through an established school program, or through a company like Sylvan. I would begin by asking local schools if they have after-school tutoring or know of a resource that many students use in the area. You could post an ad in your local paper and put signs up in schools. As for how much to charge, that's dependent on how much your target clients can and are willing to pay.

4. Johari's Window

Johari's Window Companion

Aug 9, 2012

I don't know about tutoring but do you live near any military bases?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

I tutor 3-4 afternoons a week after school, about 2-3 hours each day. My school maintains a list of tutors, I have business cards I made on Vistaprint that I give to clients and anyone who asks. You could make flyers and leave at daycare centers, etc.
    Tutoring rates tend to vary geographically. I'm in northern NJ and get $70 per hour.

6. MsG

MsG Companion

Aug 9, 2012

My school keeps a list of tutors. Typically the teachers know who tutors in the afternoons and pass on names. I'm in Alabama...typical rates here are around $25 an hour.

7. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 9, 2012

I know people who tutor on the side, usually on weekends...they make around $40-50/hr (NYC metro area). Some work with kids that they already teach, and some have posted ads on craigslist, etc, advertising themselves. If there aren't any big tutoring services near you, then I would try putting an ad up. It might be easier too, I heard that big programs usually take most of the money you earn? I am not sure if this is 100% true but I have heard people grumble about this in the past.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

Yes, KMS, that's generally true. A new tutoring company was trying to recruit teachers from my district...they said they would pay tutors $30 per hour...:eek: less than half the going rate in our area. We all declined their 'offer'.

9. missml

missml Rookie

Aug 9, 2012

Wow! I was thinking asking $10/hr would even be too much in my area! I taught summer school in June and got paid $21/hour, but of course it was free to families since it was through the public school. Unfortunately, I'm not near any military bases and the schools here don't offer any sort of tutoring services. I think I will just have to advertise privately. Thanks for the help so far!

10. uscsoccer

uscsoccer Rookie

Aug 9, 2012

I did some tutoring that was referred to as "NCLB tutoring." I think that it's different in Race to the Top winning states now, but basically, the premise was that if a school was low-income AND not making AYP, the district was required under NCLB to provide the students with "Supplemental Education Services," or tutoring. Where I am, each student got 20 hours of tutoring, but it seemed to vary by district. The parents could pick from a variety of district-approved providers, and could pick math or reading/ELA. I only had elementary students, and I don't know if middle school is included. So, maybe you could check with different districts and see if any around you are required to offer this tutoring, and what companies they use? I was paid $22 an hour, since I'm certified (even though I'm not certified elementary, but secondary). Another friend of mine who is also certified (elementary) lives in another part of the country, worked for the same company, and was paid $18 per hour. The company was definitely making a lot more than what they paid me, but it was a good experience overall.

11. uscsoccer

uscsoccer Rookie

Aug 9, 2012

One other thing about my experience is that I was considered an "independent contractor," not an employee of the tutoring company. So, the tutoring income is classified as self-employment income, with the corresponding higher tax rate. I was allowed to deduct any "business expenses," like paying to copy materials and mileage driven between students. Even with the higher taxes, I still got to keep more than I would have earned as an employee at the tutoring centers near me. Im not saying this to discourage you, because I definitely thought that it was a good experience. It's just something to be aware of when you're figuring out how much to charge if you're doing it on your own, or comparing what you could make different places.

12. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 9, 2012

I contracted with one of those companies too. They paid me $25 per hour. It was free for the students' families. I tutored 2 middle school students this spring. One of the families decided to continue the tutoring, so they now pay me $25 per hour. I found the tutoring company through an ad they posted on CA's teacher job website (Edjoin).