Tutoring two kids

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by John Lee, Mar 9, 2018.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 9, 2018

I'm supposed to start tutoring two siblings (3rd and 4th), and I wonder what the rate is "supposed to" be for such a situation. If you charge $50/hour, would two kids be any more, or should you just charge the same. I'm planning on doing two separate activities for each child (instead of doing the same thing).

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 9, 2018

That's a tough one. I tutor a set of twins, but they are both in the same math class, and they are really easy to work with, so I just charge my normal rate. It might be hard for you to do two separate grades at the same time so you may suggest doing one hour with the 3rd grader followed by one hour with the 4th grader at your normal hourly rate.....that would make the most sense to me anyway.

John Lee likes this.
  4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 9, 2018

Since they're in two different grades, maybe do some kind of discount arrangement. I would work with one student then the other, but both simultaneously might be fine. Think about a buy one - get one at a percentage off, or an every so many hours at full price gets you a free hour. It doesn't affect your bottom line very much, but does seem like a better value to parents.

John Lee likes this.
  5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 10, 2018

I think this mom wouldn't be interested in an arrangement where kids come separately. She asked another teacher, who happens to charge more than I do, but may have come to me because my rate is a little lower.

I also already do a sort of buy 10, get one free. I’m just unsure because it doesn’t seem correct to charge her the same rate as I would for just one kid. But it also wouldn't be, to go full price for two. I feel like going full price for one, 1/2 off for the second (e.g. if I charge $50/hour normally, then I would charge $75/hour for the two)... even that might be high?

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 10, 2018

"High" is relative to your area. I teach/tutor in a very high SES area, and parents are happy to pay $90/hr for just 1 kid so $75 would be a bargain to them. On the other hand, if I tutored where I live (which is like 20 minutes away from where I work), they would scoff at paying over $50 (which is why I only tutor where I work!)

John Lee likes this.
  7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 10, 2018

I also teacher in a very high area. Teachers charge $65/hour and up (which I don't). I guess I just err on the side of lower, because I do want to help and appreciate the fact that they think enough of me to ask (not that other teachers don't feel the same way).