tutoring...should I get payed?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by minnie, Jul 2, 2009.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

I have tutored a little boy twice a week for about an hour each time for the past two weeks. The parents are friends of ours...not best friends, but friends. I have brought a lot of my materials from my classroom to help this little boy and I spend time making copies and activities in my classroom for him as well. I have also made flaschards with letters, sight words, and numbers for him. The father said about a month ago that he would pay me but neither parent has mentioned it ever since. My family thinks I should say something because I am taking the time to tutor him.

My question is: How do I ask them about getting paid without sounding rude?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

Yes, you should be getting paid. I'm not sure how to approach this since you have been doing it for free for the past two weeks. Maybe you could say something like: "I've had a few phone calls about tutoring other children and I'm considering picking up a few other clients on the days I'm not working with Little Johnny. I'd like to continue working with your child but from now on my tutoring rate will be $$ per session." It's not an easy conversation to have, but truthfully, HIGH SCHOOL students put ads at my grocery store and in the newspaper with their rates for tutoring...You are a PROFESSIONAL educator. You should get PAID for your professional work. You've given them 4 free hours...that would be a nice 'chunk of change' with my area's going rates.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 2, 2009

You could say something like, "Before I started helping your son you had mentioned compensation [at the rate of...]. We didn't discuss at what time intervals you would be paying me. I've come four times, I was hoping you could pay me after every fifth session. Would that work for you or is there a different schedule you would prefer that we arrange?" Assuming you discussed a rate, you could let the family know what they owe to date.

Another route, would be to just bring an invoice next time you come and give it as you arrive. If they look at you like you're crazy, well, then I guess you can cut your losses sooner rather than later.

They're not necessarily trying to take advantage of you and might very well just be waiting for you to let them know how much they owe you. However, don't wait too long to ask for the payment. Better to get everything straightened out while it's still early.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

:yeahthat::yeahthat:
    I like what MsMar said even better!!

6. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

I should of said something at the very beginning, but I thought they were going to bring it up. :(

7. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jul 2, 2009

Minnie, hi :) I'm going to have to disagree with MsMar. If you didn't say anything when they offered to pay you, then my guess is they think you are doing it for free. If you feel like you are helping him and you want to continue, I would call them and discuss it before doing another session.

8. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

I like czacza's approach to the situation. Pretending that you have other students lined up to tutor further validates that both your profession and time are valuable. (Or you may not be pretending..I don't know). You could even go on to say that "your other clients" are going to pay you $xxx amount, but since they are friends, you would be willing to do it at a discounted rate of $xxx.
    I learned this same hard lesson during my first year of teaching by tutoring a student for free because I wanted to show that I was a caring teacher. Unfortunately, the mom totally took advantage of me and they never even so much as sent me a thank you note. NEVER again will I do that because I'm valuable and so is my time. From now on, discuss prices and pay schedules right from the start because YOU ARE WORTH IT.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

Besides, the OP said that the husband mentioned paying her. So we can assume that he, at least, intended it to be a job, not a favor.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

When I first started tutoring I was a little daunted by the 'going rate' in my area...just seemed like a lot of money to me. A colleague put it in these terms: "Cza, do you have a cleaning lady? How much do you pay her? She's vacuuming and dusting. (and I AM so grateful for that, believe me!!) You are affecting children's success in school." That kind of put things in perspective for me. The kid's dad mentioned paying you- since he broached the subject, it shouldn't be that uncomfortable to re-visit the conversation based on that.

11. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

Cza Cza- I do feel more comfortable bringing it up because he was the one who mentioned it first. Thank you!

MissKH81- You're right. I am taking time out of my day to spend quality one on one time with him. From now on (if I do this again), I will talk about the pay right away!

SpecialEdTeach- I know I should have said something from the get go, I learned my lesson.

Thank you everyone! I think I am going to talk to the parents on Monday. Since I did not talk about getting payed in the first place, I will recommend that I get payed from now on and not from the previous visits.