Tutoring Positions???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by anewstart101, Aug 8, 2010.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 8, 2010

I am excited to have a part time job! I am not giving up on a full time position but I am thinking of how to help my resume for next year

but I need more money in California

how do you become a tutor????

any good companies to tutor with>>>>

Thanks in advance

I am thinking tutoring with students who are higher functioning ----

would look good on my resume

I have a mild - moderate and a mod severe teaching credential

but I currently work with students who are profoundly severely disabled and are LOW responders --

most of my students are low responders meaning in comas --- on ventilators ---

I was thinking tutoring would help my resume

not sure how to go about it and the pros and cons of tutoring???

Stephanie:thanks::thanks:

3. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Aug 8, 2010

I don't know the names of any tutoring centers in California because I'm from New York, but have you tried Google? I'm sure there are some centers in your neighborhood that provide tutoring services. Just call them up and ask them how you can go about applying for a position.

You can always be a private tutor. I started tutoring last semester (my last semester in college) and it was a valuable experience. I tutored a fourth and fifth grader preparing for the NYS Math Examination and it really helped me become familiar with the test. The hardest part about being a private tutor is getting your name out there. I had family members spread the word but this fall, I am going to post a flier at the dance studio I grew up in. I hear those work pretty well.

So... Call tutoring centers, get the word out, and make a flier!

Good luck!

4. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

I would also google and see what you can find or also talk to any friends you have who may be able to help. I heard some tutoring places dont pay well, so maybe private would be more practical. You could set the hours you want to work and be able to charge a rate and be your own boss!

5. Purofhappienss

Purofhappienss Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

I am a private tutor as well as working on two different tutoring centers. Both of them are local small business tutoring centers. You can always find more opportunities online or on craigslist in education jobs. Local tutoring center post their jobs there where you can apply. I am also working towards my single subject teaching credential in Math. I do have many students at my own home.

I believe you should take variety of students high achievers as well as low functioning. It is rewarding both ways. I have taught students to prepare for challenge tests to skip a grade level of math. I have also taught a student who couldnt pass CAHSEE because of learning disabilities. All got success eventually.

Pros...tutoring one-on-one is rewarding and more interactive.

Cons...Scheduling sometimes is a pain. sometimes students just don't show up...Set your policies and then start your tutoring. Otherwise it wastes time and efforts when students dont show up or forget or make other excuses.

I hope it helps.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2010

I privately tutor. This allows me to set my own schedule and I get paid for my time- I don't have to share my fee with a company.

If your school maintains a list of tutors, get on that list. I find that word of mouth is my best advertising. Once I had one or two tutoring clients, my list grew as clients recommended me to their friends. I am tutoring 4 hours per week right now, next week I'll pick up an additional 2 hours per week for the remainder of the month. Once school starts after Labor Day, I'll be back on schedule with my regular clients. Last year I worked 8-10 hours per week tutoring afterschool. Nice additional income.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 9, 2010

I would like to tutor but how is it word of mouth? How do you "spread the word"? I can't tutor at my school and get paid it. I don't know of any parents and kids that go to other schools.

So therefore I do not know how to spread the word. Any suggestions?

8. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Aug 9, 2010

VANewbie, you can let your family members and friends know and have them tell others. I got my tutoring jobs last year through my sister-in-law and a friend of the family. While you may not know someone who has kids, you probably know someone who knows someone that has kids.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

I don't tutor 'at my school' but I do tutor students from my school at their homes. If your school doesn't maintain a list of tutors, make business cards (Vistaprint!!) - You could put these on library bulletin boards, community center boards, etc. Once you get one or two clients, they tell their friends...and so on. Also if you have a website, mention that you tutor on there.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

I've done tons of tutoring over the years.

We can't tutor kids from my school; it's a conflict of interest since those same kids could get extra help for free.

But here's what I've done with other schools:

I send a letter to the director of guidance, including some of those Vistaprint business cards. I state my certification, experience, subjects taught-- pretty much let them know I'm well qualified to tutor. I also mention my experience teaching both SAT prep and NY State Regents Exam prep.

Then I ask them to recommend me to any of their students who need a tutor.

That's pretty much it.