Tutoring over Summer

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Chevygirl97, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jun 22, 2007

I was asked to tutor a freshly minted 1st grader (enrichment purposes, I had him while student teaching in K and he is way, way above grade level...) and his 3rd grade sister (on reading comprehension.) Neither student will be mine next year, and I;m not teaching at their school either. I wanted to know: how many hours are a week for each student (the mom doesn't care) and should I charge..if so, what is reasonable? I'm lost when it comes to these little but very important details!!! Any help is needed and appreciated!!!

Jen:p

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2007

He's a baby... I wouldn't say more than an hour a week. Two half hours would probably be better.

"Reasonable" is a regional thing. Look in your local papers to see what's acceptable near you.

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2007

I'd do two half hour sessions a week with the 1st grader and two hour sessions a week with the 3rd grader...as long as the parents are willing to pay for a total of 3 hours of tutoring a week. I tutor and charge anywhere between $30 and $45 an hour, depending on how much work it's going to be for me (do I already have material I can use, or am I going to be creating/buying a bunch? do I have to drive far to get to the kid, or is the kid coming to me? is the kid well behaved, or am I going to have to work hard to keep attention??)
    Kim

5. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jun 22, 2007

Thanks to both of you!!