Tutoring for 10th grade Math TAKS

Discussion in 'High School' started by jenni4mac, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jenni4mac

jenni4mac New Member

Jun 28, 2010

I am looking for good resources or ideas to help a friend's daughter. She failed the Math Taks and struggles with mainly the word problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Thanks!

Jennifer

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

Hi Jennifer, and welcome!

In NY, 10th grade math tends to be mostly geometry. But take a look at this prep site:
    http://www.regentsprep.org/

The word problems might be mostly found under Algebra I.

Also, take a look at the freebies at www.edhelper.com

4. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index3.aspx?id=3264&menu_id=793

This page has released TAKS tests that you can take online and have scored immediately.

For word problems, she needs to read carefully and figure out what it's actually asking. Cross out any extra information in the question. If it's helpful to draw a picture, draw a picture! If she needs to rewrite the info in a way that makes more sense to her, do it!

I always tell my kids that I don't care what strategy they use or how silly it may seem (they should be able to multiply 9x9, but if it takes drawing nine groups of nine bananas each, go for it). They get caught up in thinking, "Well, Ms. Math didn't teach me THIS, so I can't use what I learned last year," and don't realize that all of their strategies carry over into subsequent years.

5. TxMaThTeAcHeR

TxMaThTeAcHeR Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

Hi Jenni-
    I taught 10th grade math in Houston for two years... Do you still need help? Message me because I have a bunch of different ideas and resources that could definitely help you!! Same for 11th grade... since that's the one that counts, I have a bunch of resources for that too, since I also taught 11th graders :)