Tutoring current students for compensation.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Jan 31, 2015.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 31, 2015

Does your county have a policy regarding this? What are your personal feelings about this? While I do realize that most teachers need to have a second job to make ends meet, I do think it is a huge conflict of interest. Would you me more inclined to inflate a grade if parents are paying you $25+ an hour to tutor? What about the kids who can't afford it?
    At my last school we had tutoring for every child who wanted it from 3:30-4:15 two days a week. It was free, and we were required to stay even if no one showed up. At my new school (which is in an affluent area) many teachers at the school tutor on school grounds for compensation. It is against board policy, but the principal allows it because no one has ever made a stink about it.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2015

We are not able to tutor any students we teach, and we aren't allowed to tutor, for money, on any school board property.

Offering extra help to our students who require it is part of our job.

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 31, 2015

It is a big no, no in our district. Unfortunately, some still do it. I hate to say it, some of the weakest but friendliest teachers tutor their weak students on the side for payment. Parents fawn all over them because they are really nice people with great personalities, but the kids never make any real progress.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 31, 2015

We don't have a policy but I don't know anyone who's done it except through our guidance counselor.

Parents can contact the school and request tutoring, especially for long term absences. We are paid $25/hour through the board. Long term absences we tutor at the student's home.

6. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jan 31, 2015

We offer free tutoring once a week for 2 hours after school to all students and the SCHOOL pays the teachers $25 an hour. Covers all the bases well.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 31, 2015

We are expected to tutor our own students for free. We have set times throughout the week in which to do it.

However, some teachers tutor privately for money. Sometimes their own students, which I have a problem with.

I've tutored plenty of students that weren't mine, after school. Sometimes having another teacher explain it a different way makes all the difference. But I consider that part of my job as a school faculty member.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 31, 2015

I have worked where teachers tutor, but never their own students. It was, however, allowable for teachers to be paid as home instructors for their own students, since the school had a set policy for paying for these services for students seen off of school property outside of school hours, not attending classes for whatever reason.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 31, 2015

I wouldn't want to tutor my own students, because it's a conflict of interest. If he fails a test, after I know he's got it, because in our tutoring sessions he showed mastery, what do I do? Yes, of course still give him the F, but the parent and student will probably look at me strange, maybe even accuse me of failing the kid so they can keep paying me?
    It's better to tutor a 'stranger'.

Having said that, I can't imagine working with anything education related after school (especially involving students), I need my down time lol

10. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jan 31, 2015

I've seen it done. It is a conflict of interest and also maintaining a type of business on school grounds.

Some years ago I had a student who was tutored. It turns out one of the other teachers was his tutor. She did not tell me at first, for whatever reason. Never checked in on what we did in class. He had significant issues that tutoring wouldn't have helped nor changed. Perhaps that is why I was not told. Weird.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 31, 2015

This.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 31, 2015

I've taught in 2 private schools and we have not been allowed to do that at all. We are allowed to teach students that we have taught previously- the 3rd/4th math teacher will teach 5th/6th graders.

What bugs me is that I have one coworker who I really like who is tutoring a student who really could not care less about his education (I hate saying that but... :( ). She will come to me- not the student (which I think is teaching him the wrong thing)- and ask about the assessment formatting. I try to be very vague- I don't tell parents or students, so why should I tell her. I love her, she's full of wisdom, but this bugs the heck out of me.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 31, 2015

slight thread hijack...one of my student's tutors once called me at home, on my own personal landline, to ask me a question. She wanted to know what that night's homework was and what kind of questions (MC/completion, etc) were going to be on the next test.

I was surprised and asked her what the student told her. She said that he wasn't really cooperating so she called me. She was quite rude in her manner and expected me to teach her what to teach him. She wanted me to give him an advantage since he was paying a tutor for help. I told her not to call me again. I didn't answer her questions but referred her to her client, who should have written the assignment down, and to my website which had information as well as contact protocol clearly listed. She got huffy, started to argue and I hung up. I don't do rude and ballsy.

The next day I had a steaming email from the student's mother. She was all kinds of angry that I didn't collaborate with the private tutor. I reminded her that her son did not do his work in my class, he did not attend mandatory tutoring with me and did not complete assigned homework. If he did those things he wouldn't need a private tutor.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 31, 2015

If we want to tutor our students it has to be done through the school, and it depends on how much funding is available. My para tutors some of our students after school for extra money. The other two districts I've worked in have had programs set up for after school tutoring. Both were set up by outside organizations, but they paid teachers to work for them. If there weren't policies/programs set up, I would probably not try to just tutor my students on my own. I would feel about charging them for extra help.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2015

This is my district policy as well. I tutor 10-11 hours a week after school hours at family's homes.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 31, 2015

We can't tutor current students, we can't tutor for money on school grounds, and we are advised not to tutor former students or potential future students, but this is not policy, just a recommendation.

17. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jan 31, 2015

When I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher set up an opportunity in which I tutored one of my students at her home for compensations 2x a week.

For actual teacher employed by the district, I believe the policy was you could tutor for compensation, but not on school grounds and I believe not students who were enrolled in your class. All other students in the school were free game however.

18. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2015

There is a grant that our school got which pays for tutoring afterschool. Depending on the group you are given, you could have your own students in tutoring. There is one teacher who does it and only tutors her own students. Some how she is able to make some of her own rules.

19. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2015

I'm pretty sure we're not allowed. I teach in the inner city so I've never had a parent ask or offer. But I do tutor in the nearby suburbs where I have problem getting a very fair hourly rate.

20. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Feb 1, 2015

I did this for about 6 months, but it was called "homebound instruction" for me. I know teachers who taught students on their team and who weren't on their team, so it didn't really matter in that school.

It's not explicitly forbidden in my contract but I feel like tutoring my current students for money would be frowned upon.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2015

I wouldn't want to do it, but I can understand why others might if the money was right.

I have only met one teacher who tutors his students for money, but he went to the students' homes. I know others who tutor kids that they do not teach. I don't know what exactly is legally allowed in my district.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2015

The teachers in my district are required to be available for tutoring at least once per week from 3:30 to 4:00. Most teachers offer (free) tutoring before/after school. It is against policy to tutor current students for compensation.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 2, 2015

I wouldn't tutor my own students nor would I tutor without compensation. I don't teach in the district in which I live so luckily if I wanted to tutor in my neighborhood it wouldnt be an issue.

24. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Feb 3, 2015

I don't believe we have a policy on tutoring our students for compensation, but I would not feel comfortable doing so because of the questions it might raise.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 3, 2015

I would do it if it was paid by the school not by the parent.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2015

My school pays about $45 per hour for at home instruction for convalescing students (and it's paid like any school check...with deductions taken out:huh:)... I get $70 per hour for tutoring.

27. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 4, 2015

I think this is the same for us. We would never be able to charge families for the extra help their child needs.

Just out of curiosity I looked up what an independent tutor charges in my city - with a education degree - it's between $15-20 per hour.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 4, 2015

Yes, but I'm only talking about if they were my own students and the tutoring was set up by the school. Would not want tobe paid by my own student's parents. If I went on my own tutoring kids up the street not from my school I could charge more.