tutoring charge

Discussion in 'General Education' started by louisiana, Oct 23, 2008.

1. louisiana

louisiana Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

what is the going rate for tutoring. I want tutor on my off time.

3. xmasqueen

xmasqueen Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

I know that our teacher's that do after school tutoring make $20 an hour but they have around 12-15 students. Not sure what it would be if you did individual but it can't be as expensive if a parent would take their kids to Sylvan or somewhere like that. I would think that $20 would be fair or if you wanted to less for lower income families.

Where are you in Louisiana? I'm in Monroe.

4. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 23, 2008

I would definitely consider the demographics. I don't think that I would charge my own students, somehow that seems unethical to me. However, if a student of another teacher needs tutoring help, I might consider it, but it would need to be off campus.

5. louisiana

louisiana Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

I'm in Shreveport.

6. xmasqueen

xmasqueen Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

Wow, your close! lol My sister lived in Shreveport until about 6 or 7 years ago and her husband went to work for Murphy Oil in El Dorado. I can't remember where her kids went to school but it was private not public. When she moved to El Dorado they went to public school.

7. trina

trina Companion

Oct 23, 2008

I'm in Alabama, and I charge $25 an hour, or I have a bundle deal. Pay for 4 lessons up front ($100) and get a 5th one free. That makes them $20 each, essentially. But I like having the $100 up front and it assures at least 5 sessions. Before I started my "special" I had a few parents who would just do 1 session and not call back for a second, and there's not a lot of miracles that can be had in just 1 hour. It's best for the kid in the long run to have an honest go at some extra help.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2008

I know that I am in a different part of the country, but the going rate here in the Chicago suburbs is $70-$90 an hour. I tutored a fifth grader last year and the parent didn't blink at $75 an hour. It was nice while it lasted! I can't tutor him anymore because he is a sixth grader in my building, and the district rules say you can't tutor students who are in attendance in your building.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 25, 2008

Louisiana, most of our teachers that tutor after hours charge $25 an hour. (I'm near Alexandria.)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2008

It's really a regional thing.

When I tutored a few years ago, my $60 per hour was the cheapest of any tutor I knew. My friend charged $100 per hour and had no trouble getting lots of kids to tutor.

But I'm on Long Island. Everything here is more expensive.

11. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Oct 25, 2008

I am also from the suburbs of Chicago, I charged $35 an hour 5yrs. ago. It really does depend on the demographics, as you can tell from Mrs. R's and my differences in rate.

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2008

I tutor one child and I charge $25.00 per hour. I can't believe $75-$100, WOW. I think when we do after-school tutoring in our school, we get $20.00 per hour. During summer enrichment, we get $25.00.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2008

But EVERYTHING here is more expensive.

The other night my husband and I both had parent conferences. It cost us $40 in babysitters.

14. SSA

SSA Companion

Oct 26, 2008

You should also consider the supply of college educated folks looking for some supplemental income. A year or two ago when the economy was better a lot of people wouldn't have considered tutoring for extra cash, but with rising prices and a shaky job market there are a lot of college educated people who are paranoid of the future that want to pad their savings by tutoring a bit on the side of the day job.

There are some areas where there are a lot of wealthy parents, but there is such a huge supply of college educated people vying for their money that the prices aren't much higher then elsewhere.

15. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Oct 26, 2008

At my school we receive our regular hourly rate - mine is around $27 per hour. There is also an outside tutoring company (I'm kicking myself that I didn't join them..) that pays $45-$60 per hour depending on how many kids you take. I think $45 is for 4, $60 is for 8. It's a lot, but it's a special program for schools that are not meeting AYP.

16. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2008

$100 an HOUR?! :::drool::: sign me up! Anyone know the going rate in NYC?

(Don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I won't have my college degree until January, even though I am quite highly qualified...)

17. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Oct 27, 2008

my district pays me $25/hour. I have 4 kids that come (we do it as a building one morning a week)

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 27, 2008

The school district I sub for has posted open positions for middle school tutors & the pay is...$12/hr :(

But of course, if you're talking about your own business type thing where you provide good quality, private, 1-on-1 tutoring where people have to drive to your place/office/meet at library, etc., then I don't think $20/hr is asking too much.

19. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2008

I'm not looking for district work, just private.

I can't believe California is so cheap... For some reason, I thought it would be more comparable to NY. Probably depends what city you're in/near.

20. SSA

SSA Companion

Oct 28, 2008

It really depends upon the part of CA. In most parts of CA getting $30/hr isn't terribly hard and in more affluent areas $40-50 isn't considered unheard of, although I am skeptical that you will find many parents who would pay $75/hr without second guessing themselves.

Just because some parents who are willing to spend such money exist doesn't mean that you will find too many. Anecdotally I can say there are doctoral students with extensive teaching experience who will tutor your kid for less than $75/hr. $75/hr is good if you can get it, but in most cases I would wager your sweat spot for max profit will be at a lower hourly rate.

Especially with the current economy a lot of parents will be much tighter with there money even if money were no object they would spend more money. The economic situation for a lot of parents isn't nearly as rosy as it was even six months ago so I wouldn't be surprised if rates that last year were getting a lot of takers are now getting a lot less bites. It is still fairly early in the semester so not getting any clients immediately doesn't mean you are pricing over the whatever the market is willing to bear, but in the coming weeks parents should be receiving quarterly grades and they will start feeling impetus to get their kids additional help. If you can't get any bites by mid November you are either demanding more than what your community finds reasonable or you aren't marketing yourself well.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2008

Good point about the economy. I stopped tutoring 2 years ago when I went back to work.

And not all of NY state is the same as the metro NYC area.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 28, 2008

It's also the case that the supply of qualified math tutors is lower in most areas than is the supply of qualified tutors in, say, social science.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2008

Good point. But my friend, who gets $100, tutors English, mainly for the SAT.

To be honest, I don't know how he charges so much. I know that he does teach in an affluent community. Still, it seems to be excessive to me.

$60 allowed me to pay my sitter to watch my kids, and still feel that I was making a decent wage. If I were still tutoring, I probably would have raised my prices a bit, but not that much.

24. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2008

Any ideas about the difference of rates between people who do/don't have a degree? (again, I'm in NYC)

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2008

Take a look at the local Pennysaver and see what people are charging.