Tutoring an Autistic Child

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LanBanan88, Jan 7, 2012.

1. LanBanan88

LanBanan88 New Member

Jan 7, 2012

Hello there!

This is my very first post in A to Z teacher stuff forum. Please excuse if i have done something wrong or posted in the wrong thread...

I am a student teacher, currently doing my bachelor or primary education in Australia. I have one more year to go (WOO!) and am pretty excited. I have worked in Child care a few times, and have tutored a few different children with different subjects, however, this one I'm a little stuck on.

I have been tutoring an autistic child who is about to begin kindergarten this year. It is a big challenge for me but i am learning as much as he is, its great.

I know that autistic children need to have routine, and I have done a routine of flash cards spelling game, reading suitable books, then playing suitable educational computer games that basically revises what the other activities did ( this is his favourite. He looks forward to playing on the computer...its usually a big treat for him)

I am just stuck as to when and how can i change this routine? Do i keep the same type of activities (cards, books, computer) but just change what we do? Or am i safe to change it around once in a while?

Also, anyone have any ideas on fun spelling games? or interesting ways to read a book together rather than sitting and reading a book? He loses interest very quickly and attention span in out of the window. So any ideas would be great!

Thanks in advance! I hope someone could help! It would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Lana

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2012

You most definitely can change the routine. If you want to try something different one day, I would let him know the session before that next time you are going to _______. Maybe try to keep the computer time because he loves it so much.

My students love to stamp or use letters to make their spelling words. We play spelling bowling where each pin is numbered and so is their list. When they choose a pin, they have to spell the word with the same number from their list.

4. LanBanan88

LanBanan88 New Member

Jan 7, 2012

Thank you for your speedy reply. Those were some great ideas. Cheers! :thumb:

5. Barbera

Barbera Companion

Jan 7, 2012

Agree with Mopar. I don't deal with that age group but yeah, routine does bore the people who are supposedly need routine.

Right now I am actually learning to make a more flexible routine to my and the class's benfit. Good luck and sorry I can not be more specific.

6. LanBanan88

LanBanan88 New Member

Jan 7, 2012

Thanks!