Tutoring Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Happy107, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Happy107

Happy107 Rookie

Mar 16, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I recently made a career change from accountant to pursuing a teacher career. I decided to tutor while completing my alternative certification program to gain experience as well as finally start my passion for teaching. I have tutored friends and family in the past but I've never tutored someone I didn't know.

I just wanted to get some advice/feedback on tutoring. Have any of you done tutoring? What techniques do you use to reach a student that has no interest in school? (the program I will be tutoring for is more of a life coach program)

Any feedback is more the welcome!!

Thanks!:)

3. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Mar 16, 2010

In my experience with tutoring, I find that the best thing to do is focus on what the goals of the student are, and to always show the student that you are on their side. Even if I think the student is doing things that I do not agree with (academically or otherwise), I discuss those things with the student in a way that is non-judgemental, but which gets my point across. I have found that this approach, making the student feel like you are on their side, really helps in getting the student to learn. It is not a technique you necessarily want to employ in the classroom, however...