Turtle Science Thematic unit

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Boggarts, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Boggarts

Boggarts Rookie

Mar 22, 2008

I have to write up a thematic science unit on turtles for 3-4 year olds. I am having a hard time finding thing online.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    We have to have 5 science lessons and 3 math lessons.

I just want to thank everyone on this site for taking the time to read and share. YOu are the greatest.

Bonnie-Jean

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Mar 22, 2008

There are many different kinds of turtles. Try focusing on the turtles you find in your area. Find out what they eat and their habitat. Maybe you can download pictures of those turtles. For a bulletin board idea, design it to look like the turtle's habitat and have the kids make turtles out of paper or styrofoam bowels turned upsidedown.

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Mar 23, 2008

Is there a way to broaden your topic a little? Personally, I would teach about "pond life" instead of just turtles, it's a bit limiting and is probably why you are having a hard time coming up with much. During a "pond life" unit I would teach about turtles, frogs etc. We would read In the Small Small Pond by Denise Fleming etc. You could preview the book and then base your instruction around the pond life in the book, it would give you a good starting point.
    When you enter frogs into the equation there all sorts of cool math games you could play involving the fingerplay "5 Green and Speckled Frogs" and counting.
    Good luck!

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 23, 2008

T is for Turtle

The Smallest Turtle by Lynley Dodd
    Turtle and Tortoise by Vincent Serventy.

Have a picture of stuffed turtle animal and brainstorm a name for the turtle that begins with a T.

Sponge paint pictures of a turtle. Cover your BB with brown paper for the sand and show off the turtles.