Turnover at your center?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

What's the turnover rate at your center or place of work? How long do teachers and directors stay?

I worked for the same pre-school for five summers during high school and college, and we had 4 director changes and probably 5 teachers leave or change positions.

During two years of grad school, I worked in a laboratory pre-school that had 4 (out of 6!) teachers leave and 1 director leave.

I'm curious because I'm thinking of applying for preschool jobs again, but I would be out of there if I got a public school job. Is this unfair to employers, or do hiring people kind of expect to be hiring for preschools all the time?

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 28, 2009

My experience was similar to yours. I honestly think a lot of Directors would of course love to keep their good staff, but understand that they can't offer the pay and benefits that public schools can. Turnover is definitely an issue. Personally I left to student teach full time, and then was hired in the public school system so I did not return. My old Director and I are still friends and go out for dinner or coffee about once a month. Would she prefer I still worked for her? Definitely. Does she understand why I left? Definitely.

4. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Apr 28, 2009

The school I work at has been going for over 20 years, same owners and directors. Teachers tend to stay several years, but most are mums who only want a part-time job or someone who has an afternoon job to make up the salary - I'm a nanny in the afternoons. It has a very good name in the area.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 28, 2009

My program is very small, and the expericences within it maybe different. However, I have been the owner/director for 12 years. In my program we have had several teachers, but each has stayed for at least two years before moving on. In most cases the moving on is in order to attend college or find a job in their chosen field.

I answered because today we are coping with a two week notice of a teacher we have had for 4 years.

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 28, 2009

I work at a center that is licensed for 75 children on a regular basis and 101 to include before andafter school care and sumer camp programs. We have 8 classrooms infants through kindergarten and about 16 teachers and staff. Some are ful time and some are part time. We are open form 6am -6pm. Our preschool programs are full time only (meaning 5 days a week) from 9-12 and offer before and after care. That being said, our turnover rate is a little higher the last year or so than it has been normally due to marriages and families moving. I have been there 10 years, first as a ono on one then as a floaterand now as a lead teacher. the director ahs been there 15 years, the two supervisors ahve been there 13 & 14. Most of the staff has been there for 4 or 5 years and we have a few that have beent here 2 or less. Two years ago we had two lead teachers leave adn that was the first time since I ahve been there that full time lead teachers had left. andt hey had both been there for about 8 or 9 years. Recently another one left becasue sheis going to nursing schooland got offred a job in that field. A floater that has been there a year is subbing long term in her room and if enrollement is high enough for the fall she may get the room full time. Our director is very supportive childcare board. For teacher's appreciation week they are having a massage therapist come in and offer free massages for a couple of hours during work hours and that Friday night they are putting on a catered dinner for us after work.

7. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Apr 29, 2009

The Center I work at has been around for three years. This year, there were 4 new teachers out of 9, and a new director. The previous director was there for 2 years, with only 1 teacher being there all 3 years.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 29, 2009

I should have said that my director is very supposrtiveof the teachers and staff with the child care board. She really goes to bat for us. Every memeber of our staff is CPR, First Aid, Water Safety and AED certified (courses paid for by the center) and has formal education in early childhood education-- most have at least an associates degreem and we are required to have a minimum of 9 CEUs this year, 12 next and eventually 24 or 36 a year. The director convinced the childcare board to pay us full days pay and to close the center for two days, one in the spring and one in the fall so we can allattend trainings those days. We also get a certain amount of money per year toward workshops and tuition-- the amount depends on the how many years of service you ahve. I think I get like 80 or 120 a year that I can use to attend workshops or help pay for classes-- that is in addition to the trainings that the center closes for which are also paid for by the center.

9. msj

msj Companion

May 2, 2009

My center is large with several part time preschool (what I teach), full time preschool (rooms for ages 1-5) and before and after care for school age (have no idea how many of those there are) programs. My center pays the best (well if you are new...issue i discussed in a long ago post) of all preschool centers in town, and there are a few. The directors have been around for awhile, but staff turnover is very high! You would think it would tell you something when you pay the best, but no one wants to stay...