Turning in lesson plans...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kcjo13, Oct 19, 2007.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 19, 2007

Question: How many of you have to turn in lesson plans regularly? At my school, if you are not tenured, like me, lesson plans have to be turned in weekly. This drives me nuts. This is my last year of un-tenured-ness, and I am just so over turning them in every week. I know for a fact that the prince doesn't even look at them, I'm pretty sure it is some old rule that is observed for tradition, and I have a bad attitude about it. There are just some weeks that I don't know on Sunday night what I will be doing on Tuesday morning! I usually end up making something up just to have it written down (and changing it later), which kind of defeats the purpose.

What are others' experiences?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2007

The only time I have ever had to turn in a lesson plan was before my formal evaluations--three times in my first 2 years, then once every three years (just changed to once in 5 years!)

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 19, 2007

Everyone has to tun them in Friday by 4:00.
    But they are not the formal kind like we had to do in college.
    Just 6, 3x3 inch boxes for each day.

If it's part of the curriculum and the first time I'm teaching it this year, I have to add the curriculum numbers to it. I guess this is to assure that everything in the curriculum is being taught.

When I fill in my boxes, I mainly write what I would want a sub to teach. I may have my own ideas, even last minute, on how to cover the material. For example:
    9:15-10:00 Henry and Mudge
    Buddy read the story
    Search for contractions
    What two words make up each contraction?
    LA214 (language arts curriculum 2nd grade #114)

5. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 19, 2007

Non tenured teachers have to turn them in weekly. The rest of us have to have them available to view all the time. Now we are having to include spi's on them. We are also having 6 official walkthrough observations a year due to some new law.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 19, 2007

They don't ask about lesson plans at my school, but the head of school does drop in observations at any time. I don't worry about the drop in observations because everything has always been fine. He doesn't do it as a scare tactic. He might say, "I'm observing teachers this week" and that can be at any time. We are just a bit informal about those things.

We do have to turn in our weekly newsletters, which need to cover what we have been doing in class.

7. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Oct 19, 2007

We have always had to turn in our weekly lesson plans every week. Then at the end of the year we have to turn in a whole other set. So that is two HUGE stacks of paper. Finally this year, my principal (new to the post-this is her 3rd year) realized that it makes no sense to turn in all of this paper. So we just have to have a stack at the end of the year (for auditing purposes/documentation purposes) and we have to have our lessons on the desk for informal observations.

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2007

I have to turn in LP's, but I rarely end up following my original plan. So often the situation changes because of the kids' moods, a lesson flops, or they bring up something else that I end up using, or something went wrong with getting the materials for something... I usually end up doing about 2/3 of what was on my original plan, but not in the same order and usually not even in the same way as I said I'd planned. The administration is quite understanding about this, but they still want to see that there is some plan in place to begin with. I understand that completely, but still -- it's such a pain/pressure to have everything ready for the whole week when I don't know how the kids will react!

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 19, 2007

We used to be required to turn in our plans every Monday. If we were occasionally late, it was no big deal, but I always tried my best to have them done by Monday morning. It really helped me to be organized for the week ahead, especially because I am so spontaneous - I need to be very prepared, then go off the cuff if something interesting or fun or a new way to learn the material occurs to me at the last minute.

The last 2 years no one has required lesson plans, and my planning has not been as effecient. I don't feel I am accomplishing as much. There is just something about having to organize your plan that keeps things going smoothly. I always used to go over my plans at the end of each day and check off what I had done. It was a great visual of what exactly I had accomplished. Then I would circle what hadn't gotten done, and try to do it the next day. But I never stressed about what I hadn't gotten done, just tried for it later. I am a visual learner so this method helped me.

I have seen a lot of teachers who don't do lesson plans and just say, "I don't follow them anyway." But it is like having a map. YOu have your map and set out, and if you find an interesting side road on the way, you can take it or not. But you can always consult your map so you can see if you are heading where you need to be heading.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 19, 2007

One vetern teacher I know convinced the Principal to accept our weekly (detailed) newsletters as proof instead.

11. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Oct 19, 2007

We are required to turn in our lesson plans each Monday. Everyone must turn in plans, no matter how many years you have been teaching.
    They must include the lesson concept, our TEKS, and how we are evaluating the students. We receive feedback on our lesson plans.

12. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 19, 2007

We have to turn in lesson plans around report card time, twice a year. Then, at the end of the year, we turn in the whole thing. The principals look through them and give us feedback. We are also required to turn in our weekly newsletters.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 19, 2007

For about three years we had to turn them in weekly. Then our principal said not to turn them in; she would ask for them when she wanted them. Apparently she never wanted them. This year we have a new principal who told us plans must be done a week in advance, but never told us to turn them in. I just couldn't plan past Tuesday and was playing everything by ear Wednesday through Friday of this week.

14. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 19, 2007

We are supposed to put them in the computer. I haven't been given due dates but I try & have them done by Mondays. There is no formal set up (except we attach state standards via the computer) but I use the STOPE format. ;)

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 19, 2007

We do not turn in lesson plans. My principal has never asked to see them, even for observations.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 19, 2007

I need to start making deadlines for myself or I will never be consistently good about this.

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 19, 2007

We have to turn in lesson plans every Friday for the following week. I do a small write up for observations but that is just so she can remember the lesson and such.

18. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Oct 19, 2007

Mine are due Monday morning at 7:30. I don't mind at all. I'm new, so it helps me to stay on track and stay organized. I pride myself on being organized.

19. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 19, 2007

Yes runsw/scissors - I need to make my own deadline too! Maybe we could make a pact! I do sososo much better in my teaching when I have my plans done a week in advance.

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2007

I'm very surprised that it's not required each week at some of your schools. I've been teaching 22 years and have never had a principal who didn't require them to be turned in weekly. Lately they've been so specific re standard, Learning-focused format with essential quesiton, hook, lesson, and summary that it was taking us forever to type and submit by Monday morning.

So we came up with a plan to scale back. Now I write reading plans for my class and Science plans for the entire 5th grade. Someone else does their own reading plans and Social Studies plans for 5th. Etc. We shoot it to the principal, print out everyone else's plans that aren't reading, then pick and choose what we want to do, whether we want to follow someone else's plans, or just "wing it". I then just write a phrase on a grid for what I want to do.
    He's happy because he thinks we're all planning together. We're happy because it's only two formal subject plans to write each week.

21. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 19, 2007

We had it put in our contract that we don't have to turn in lesson plans unless you've had 3 or more bad evaluations.

22. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Oct 19, 2007

I have always had to do weekly lesson plans also. But I have never had a Princ or Admin get upset when we deviate from the plan. They do help me stay focused and whenever I teach a new grade (like this year) they are really helpful.

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 20, 2007

Wow, thanks for all the responses. It seems about 50/50 yes or no. I'm really not going to fight it, I'm just going to grit my teeth and do it for the rest of this year-then I'll cross over to the blessed side of tenured-ness and not worry about it. I will still do weekly lp, but if like runsw/scissors said, I don't have past Tuesday done, I won't stress.

24. k1m

k1m Rookie

Oct 20, 2007

I really enjoy reading about your school systems, and the working conditions for different teachers (radically different to mine)...but I am wondering if someone can explain what 'tenured' means? I read it here often and have heard it many U.S movies but have no clue....

25. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 20, 2007

Tenure means that you can't be let go without cause. In my state you get tenure after 3 years. The number of years varies from state to state and not all states have tenure.

26. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 20, 2007

I still write out sketchy plans over the weekend so I stay focused during the week and can refer back to them when necessary, but it feels like a waste because something always comes up that throws everything off. Then you are a day behind in reading, on target in science until the next day, math is just not being grapsed so you spend three days working on the same skill and everything get pushed to the following week...and every now and again I actually get ahead of myself and pull quick activities that are not in the plan. Then I have to go back and modify the previous week's plans to reflect what actually happened as well as make plans for the following week. Makes for a hectic weekend soemtimes.

27. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Oct 20, 2007

We are required to turn in lesson plans by Thursday morning that detail what we are going to do the next week in the following three categories: objectives, teaching strategies/activities, and evaluation.

28. k1m

k1m Rookie

Oct 20, 2007

thanks ecsmom
    it sounds like the difference between temporary and permanent teachers here. Makes sense now.

29. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 20, 2007

We turn in our plans on Thursday for the following week. Grades 4 and 5 (I teach grade 4) have 25 pages of lesson plans each week! We have to fill out an entire page each for reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. It is completely ridiculous! Grades K-3 have about 40 pages a week because they are Reading First and they have to fill out each of the protocol pages for each area of reading daily (that's 25 pages a week just for reading). It's extra pointless since the admin doesn't even read them!

30. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 20, 2007

Oh my, that seems like way to much work!!!! 40 pages, wow, whenever would you have time to do that????

31. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 20, 2007

Our state requires teacher lesson plans to be on file with the office. If they drop in those plans must be there.
    Our school requires them to be in before school begins on Monday morning. Our plans can be on one page (if you can fit all the info), but must include objectives, framework number, activities, and assessments. I create mine in Excel, and it ends up being 2 pages. It's not really that bad. At least I don't write them by hand anymore. That was a pain!

32. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Oct 20, 2007

At my school, everyone has to turn them in once a month, but they don't have to be the plans for the week ahead. They can be the plans for the week that has just ended.

I find that really nice because I just can't plan ahead a whole week... my plans end up changing so much by Tuesday or Wednesday that it's pointless. I have a general idea of what I want to do in a week, but I write my actual plans on a day by day basis. I've tried both ways, and that just works better for me.

33. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 21, 2007

We would call it a permanent appointment, as opposed to being on probation or a supply casual or something different

34. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

we don't have to turn in plans unless we are being observed - two times a year for the first three years. My observation is tomorrow, actually and I turned in the lesson plan I am doing on Thursday. I too usually change what I am doing so much that it would be a nightmare if I had to turn in plans on a weekly basis.

35. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 21, 2007

Here too. I think I am going to ask my principal if she would be OK with me doing it though just to make sure I don't get lazy about it. She can do whatever she wants with them once their in. We are supposed to site all the standards covered in each lesson, and it's a real pain so I tend to put off the lesson planning.

36. TeachersPet

TeachersPet Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

Lesson plans...

I feel that lesson plans are a waste of time! Why do we have to write these plans out in full, if it is unlikely that we'll follow them to the tee? For University we have to right out the lesson plans out in full - in this lesson plan we state exactly what we are going to do. This however doesn't always work in the real teaching situation. I find it easier just to do my preparation for an activity, and see how I can adapt that to suit all my classes, since each class is different.

37. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Oct 21, 2007

I had to do that for college too. It was a hassle, but it did get me to think about every last detail about what I was going to do and WHY. I would find that when it came time to do the lesson, I wouldn't need to refer to the lesson plan because I knew exactly what I was going to do just from spending that time planning it out.

I'm in my first year of teaching now, and we aren't required to write out full lesson plans like that. My plans for the day take up one page and are basically just a bulleted list of what my class is going to do that day, divided by time/subject. We have to put objectives for math and reading, so they include that too, but they're definitely not the full, detailed plans I had to write in college. And they definitely change throughout the day!

38. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2007

I have to submit my lesson plans 2 weeks in advance. So for example, on Monday, I have to have this week's and next week's plans already done. :down:I agree that it is a waist of time because who really follows everything day by day? I am in my 2nd year and already, I've realized that I can never do exactly what I planned. Just last week I couldn't finish a lesson because I had a student disrupt my class, throwing desks and refusing to calm down. So I had to call the school counselor to come and get him. Once the counselor came to get him and after 15 minutes of trying to get him to calm down, she returns back to my class to have him "apologize" for acting out. That took another 5-10 minutes!! All during our Science time.
    So this has been happening often due to the kind of kids I have this year. Someone is always disrupting a lesson. All of those little moments of dealing with those issues adds up by the end of the week!

39. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 22, 2007

My plans for this week are already a mess because 1) the activity we were supposed to do for Red Ribbon Week couldn't be done (no supplies given), 2) I had to talk about Student Council, and what I thought would take ten minutes took 35, and 3) I couldn't get to the copier to make copies for social studies. So tomorrow's plans are make up what we didn't get to today and some new stuff.

40. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 23, 2007

We are required to have ours in the office by 8:00 a.m. on Monday morning. I do mine on the computer and email them to my principal. She then prints them off. She keeps them on file after randomly viewing them. She checks everyone's off of a list each week. If you don't turn them in (I think two weeks in a roll) she will make a surprise visit to your room to look at yours and to do an evaluation. I color code mine, objectives in teal, mission in pink, and supplies needed in blue. I find that the weeks that I don't write them, I have a train wreck in my room. Plus if you have to be gone, it makes it much easier on a sub. Yes, I do leave plans for a sub when I know I am going to be gone, but when my dad died a teacher had to step into my class and take over with two hours notice. Without having at least a week of plans on file, my peers would have had to scramble for me. Plus I agree with the road map thought.:blush: