Turning in homework

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by dillpickle, Jun 13, 2007.

1. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

I'm trying to revamp my homework procedure. I used to use a pocket chart with each pocket for a different child. It was easy to see who didn't do any of their homework but a pain to sort through the homework. My students eventually sorted it and stacked it for me. What is an easier way to turn in homework so you can keep up with who did it right then at that moment???

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2007

Well, I am a 2nd grade teacher and what I started doing by the middle of the year is have two kids with the job of the "homework stampers". What the "homework stampers" do is go through each homework assignment and put a check mark by the names of the students that turned in their homework. I made a checklist with all the kids name on it and they would just check off what was turned in and while they did their job, the other kids were doing bellwork or doing other classroom jobs. I myself use that time to do other things like attendance, getting supplies ready, getting plans ready for the day etc. This eliminated me waisting time sitting their checking homework and made me available to do other things. So when the "homework stampers" were done, they give me the checklist. I know right away who turned in homework and who didn't. Some helpers would even tap on some kids shoulders and say, "hey, where's your homework". I loved it because peer pressure is more potent and when your peers are noticing you are being forgetful, you will remember next time to save face. Well, my kids did, and it worked!:p

4. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

UGH

I just had a long post written out and and then I accidentally hit my mouse and poof! all gone. Darn it! Ok, I'm going to try again. I have a classroom organizer that I made from Excell. Along the the top is Monday through Friday with a space for each subject, each day. Along the left side are all my kids' names. I got them into the habit of turning things in in number order so I could instanly see who was missing theirs. I've also had certain kids put them in order for me and write who was missing on a post-it. I used this organizer for grades, credit, absences, behavior, etc. If a student was missing a paper I would circle a spot where their grade would go. It helped me see who was late/missing on any given week. Some thing that I will add this year will be a STUDENT late/missing sheet. It's basically a full page calendar divided into two sides of a regular sheet of paper. I have room for subject, page, number, and parent signature which they will get that night. When they turn it in I will initial it. Their Friday report will refer parents to this sheet, and if it is not initialed by me that means I am still missing it! I'm hoping this will work. I have long-termed in two 4grades, but will be teaching my own this year. I read another tip from a teacher about stapling papers that are turned in on time. Just one staple shows who turned theirs in on time,keeps them together, and reduces "but I turned it in!" syndrome. Have a great day everybody!