Turning Down Interviews - Who said there are no jobs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Galois, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 15, 2012

I just got a call from a principal a few minutes ago, who I emailed like last month, asking me if I could see him tomorrow for interview (not even a day's notice). This school is a dream school for me since it is so close (20 minutes drive) and in an excellent district. But, what could I do? I already accepted an offer (from a school like 45 minutes drive) and was told to sign the contract on July 24?

I had another interview (you see what good cover letters could do - rewritten by this forum) which I went in just for curiosity. What I'm trying to say is that principals, right now, are getting frantic to fill up their vacancies, so expect a lot of openings to come out in between now and the start of school. Send tons of emails is what I'm trying to say. All the best!

3. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

Thanks for the encouragement! Where do you teach? Let's hope VA principals are just as frantic! I have sent out more cover letters at this point than I can imagine! My eyes are burning from staring at this computer for so long!

And congratulations on the offers. That is excellent.

4. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 15, 2012

California. Southern in particular.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 15, 2012

Yeah, I had to turn down a few interviews after I accepted my position in May. Luckily my position is at my dream school, but if I accepted a less-than-ideal spot, I would have a hard time turing down interviews at a dream school since my word is important. With that said, there is a common school of thought to do what is best for you and to interview with the dream school since you haven't actually signed your contract yet. Every time this question comes up, it seems pretty split on the forum with half saying go for it since you haven't signed and the other half saying to honor your word.

6. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 15, 2012

My word of honor is like a contract written in blood. Civilized people uses the following: Thank you, please, I'm sorry, and I give you my word.

My 12 year-old-son was saying earlier as to what happens if you get a million offers with all those applications that I sent? And, I said to him that I will only honor the first accepted offer.

When they interviewed me in this school they asked, "What do you think are the qualities of a good teacher?" And, I answered: competent, consistent (includes being reliable, includes honoring one's word), and caring. I consider them the three(3) Cs of being a good teacher.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 15, 2012

There are jobs, but there are far MORE jobs and far LESS candidates in areas like secondary math than there are in areas like elementary, Social Studies, or English.:2cents:

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

Yes, but there are jobs out there for elementary teachers too! Principals definitely start to quicken the hiring process as the school year approaches, so those e-mails really start to pay off right now.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

True, but the writer was speaking of his own experience, and trying to be encouraging to those still looking.

Check the Jobs thread http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=157446&page=37 12 out of the last 15 jobs have been elementary. And 8 of the jobs on the list (including yours, in elementary ed) have been in CA.

I think we can all agree that Physics, Chem, and math will face more jobs and fewer candidates. But the point is that some people ARE still getting jobs, even in those more competitive areas.

The fact that some areas-- both in terms of geography and content-- are more competitive just means you have to bring your A game, and do everything within your power to push the odds in your favor. A killer cover letter, casting a wide net, strong interview skills-- these are things YOU can control.

As Yogi Bera said: "It ain't over till it's over." And it ain't over yet.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

You're right! My district, a fairly competitive suburb for this area, still has 9 elementary openings and 3 high school ELA openings (in addition to several other jobs, of course).

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

:thumb:

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

Congratulations :)

13. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 16, 2012

Thanks.

14. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

Congratulations!

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

Congrats!

16. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 16, 2012

17. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

I accepted a job in March, and have been getting calls from local Catholic schools like crazy for September. I'm talking 2-3 a day for the past few weeks.

A lot of my friends are complaining about there being "no jobs again this year". They didn't take the initiative to sign up to be on the Diocese list.

18. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 16, 2012

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 16, 2012

Oh I absolutely agree, I just know that it can be discouraging to hear about how easy it is for "some" people to get jobs for those who are still pounding the pavement. I graduated with a cohort of 26, and 6 of us have gotten jobs. That means 20 people are still looking, and I know it's discouraging for them to hear about others having such an "easy" time of it when they are not. Maybe I misread the tone of some of the original posts.

20. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 17, 2012

Thanks, HeartDrama (you must be an English teacher). You will be very soon. Aren't you glad you joined A to Z forum?

21. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

LMichele...where in NY are you??

I am also on the Diocese List and check Catholic School websites everyday looking for positions and haven't found anything. I previously worked for the Archdiocese of Newark but my school closed due to low enrollment. I would love to continue working in a Catholic school but don't see any openings in NY or NJ.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

I'm in a Catholic high school on LI.

We don't ever advertise a job. When an opening comes up, we go to the file of resumes we've received. It's never been necessary to advertise.

My husband's school is the same way.

I realize that the vast majority of elementary schools work through the diocese. Still, an email to the principals containing your cover letter and resume probably wouldn't hurt.

23. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

Thanks Aliceacc...I've done both (applied through the archdiocese as well as emailing principals....and hand-delivering packets). I also have been a volunteer catechist at my parish for the last 7 years and have taken courses towards catechist certification. I have an MSED and am working on a second MS in SpEd and Lit and am sooooooooo discouraged to be job searching again:(( It's almost impossible to even get on sub lists around here....all of the districts have closed their lists because they are full. Very scary situation.

24. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

I think it really depends where you are and what your cert. is. There are a few jobs in elem. education where I live, but not many. I see far more high school jobs.

It also depends on your personal situation. I can't relocate due to family issues.

But no matter how few jobs there are, we still have to keep trying as long as we can.

25. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

I think it really depends where you are and what your cert. is. There are a few jobs in elem. education where I live, but not many. I see far more high school jobs.

It also depends on your personal situation. I can't relocate due to family issues.

But no matter how few jobs there are, we still have to keep trying as long as we can.

26. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

27. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 17, 2012

Your right Rainbow Bird. In my county there are 10 openings (county has to list each opening if only for a day) and about 250 or more applicants per position.