Turning around at-risk students

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by mikewalter, Oct 28, 2002.

1. mikewalter

mikewalter Rookie

Oct 28, 2002

Has anybody out there ever taken a really tough student and helped turn them around? I don't mean turned them around for just one class, I mean really changed their outlook towards school and life.

If so, I'd love to know how you did it.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 30, 2002

Yes, I believe that I have changed the self esteem of a student.
    A few years ago I had a little boy in the second grade who had a very bad life, wild and could care less about school. his mom died, he lived in a poor community, he had no help at home, he ran around like a maniac. He was in first grade for two years and did NO homework. Then he walked in to my room. I took the information that I had known about him and log it it in the back of my head. over time I got to know him very well. He needed to know someone cared for him. I differentiated his homework and classwork and consistently gave him praise. We took small steps to make the situation a little better. Was he the best student no. He did have a lot of trouble with sounds letters and numbers but by making adjustments for him he was willing to please me.
    Now two years later I still see him trying hard. So there is hope for you it takes a lot of work and positive praise. Good Luck

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 30, 2002

Well, this year I have taken on the responsibility of teaching a pre-kindergarten class in a low-income child care center, where the children (before I came) where in overcrowded classrooms with no supervision and they wern't being TAUGHT ANYTHING! They just played all day (except there were almost no toys in the room), but there was no structure to their day, it was just free time ALL DAY LONG!

When I first started they had no attention span and didn't want to do ANYTHING. They complained about having circle time, doing classwork and anything else that was structured.

Now 2 months later, they can't wait for circle time to start, they enjoying doing their classwork (most of the time) and play nicely in centers. They no longer tease each other or physically harm each other. They mostly follow the rules and routines. They understand that we have a schedule to follow.

In 2months, they have become enthusiastic learners!