Turning 30

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by PinkCupcake, Feb 5, 2014.

1. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Feb 5, 2014

I'm just posting some random thoughts I have in my head at the moment. Actually, I've had them in my head for a few weeks now. Monday will be my 30th birthday. I don't feel my life will be over, and I don't plan on shedding any tears for my "youth" Monday.
    I'm not married and don't have any children. I don't want to spend any time feeling sad for where I think my life should be. Instead I want to celebrate the positives. I just hope that I'm making a difference and being a productive, positive person. Make sense or is this thread pointless? I have a tendency to ramble sometimes!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2014

For what it is worth, my 40's have been far more fabulous than my 30's.

No matter what age you are, there are positives. I've never let age bother me, and I have never felt the need to live up to someone else's idea of what I was supposed to be doing at my age.

Have a great birthday!

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 5, 2014

I was terrified of turning 30, but so far so good. ;) I'll be 32 on Sunday.

5. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Feb 5, 2014

I obviously found nothing good on tv tonight, and have too much time on my hands. :lol:

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 5, 2014

I am in the same situation, but my 30th is in 4 more months. I LOVE my life... I am not jealous of other people's situations. I am happy to be single and child-free. I think my 30s are going to ROCK.

7. asha

asha Rookie

Feb 6, 2014

Funny how your life was my plan. The plan was to get married at 30. Now I am 32 in few months, married for 7 or maybe 8 years with two kids.
    Happy birthday and many more.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 6, 2014

Good for you PinkCupcake! I had the same feelings when I turned 30 & I had no kids nor was I married then either...I still don't & I'm still not.

9. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Feb 6, 2014

Us women definitely put pressure on ourselves and are notorious for comparing ourselves to others. I'm looking forward to celebrating this weekend!

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 6, 2014

I was really freaky about turning 30, and not too pleased with birthdays after 30 either. But, I'm about to turn 35 next week, and I'm actually looking forward to it. I am married with kids, and I've known my husband since we were 14 and 17, and it is...I don't know...fun? to grow old together. I'm sure that sounds weird, but I'm just embracing this new phase in my life. I'm enjoying being more mature-I feel "grown up"! :lol:

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 6, 2014

Turning 30 was the most liberating event! My biggest revelation was my interpretation of that old word "spinster". I decided that the true definition would be a woman of a certain age who was capable of spinning and weaving her own destiny.

12. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Feb 6, 2014

So true. I bawled when I turned 30 because I figured I'd have at least one kiddo (I was 32 when I had DS). I felt that way in large part because seriously every one around my age I knew had at least one kid, the majority had two more more. I mean, we wanted kids, but it's like I had kind of set a "deadline" of sorts, lol.

I hope you have an awesome weekend!!!

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 6, 2014

I, too, will be 32 on Sunday! :hugs:

14. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 7, 2014

I'm looking forward to my thirties because I'll be retiring. But really as far as 20 vs 30s go, I've always heard you have the most fun and look your best in your thirties. My mother and my grandmothers all said that their favorite age was 32, MIL says 30.

My mom swears sex gets even better after forty, but I think she's full of it. :lol:

I'm enjoying getting older. My late teens/early twenties held a lot of uncertainty and for the most part I'm glad a lot of the aimlessness is gone. I watch that HBO show Girls and it makes me laugh because I have related to all of them at one point. Not knowing who you are, sleeping with the wrong guys, and a lot of the post-college anxiety. You couldn't pay me to go back to that!

15. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Feb 7, 2014

I turned 30 on Monday (Feb. 3rd) and I was not at all nervous, freaked out, etc. Age is a just a number for me and I don't let it dictate my feelings!

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2014

Not 30 yet, but I am married and it's no biggie. And having kids seems like maybe one of the worst decisions I could make for myself. So I think you're actually doing quite well! :thumb:

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 8, 2014

How neat! :thumb:

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2014

:thumb:

19. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 8, 2014

Oh, always listen to your mom when it comes to sex!:):)

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2014

I was terrified to turn 30. I might have even shed some tears, but I can´t really rememeber. I am now 33 and could care less. Someone said it is liberating. I found that to be very true.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 8, 2014

That's nice if you can retire that young! I've PM'd you!

22. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Feb 8, 2014

:party:Cheers to getting better with age!

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 8, 2014

Happy Birthday to the OP and to all of you!!! :celebrate:

:thumb: I love this. I'm turning 28 next month. I've been married for almost 4 years and we have no plans to have kids within the next couple of years. We get lots of questions...lots of "When you are you having kids? Don't wait TOO LONG..." type of stuff - but I've finally learned to let it go in one ear and out the other. I don't have to live on anyone else's time table of what I should be doing right now.

Retiring?! :eek: When I turn 30 I will still have like 30 more years to go! :lol:

24. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 9, 2014

Haha! Well, my husband and I want to do some extensive traveling, have plans for a vineyard and other things. Unfortunately, working as a full-time teacher I can't just get up and go when I want to. I love teaching but realistically I'm not going to be able to do it all. It was a hard decision :(

I do hope to move up in Girl Scouts and start more programs. I just want to stay involved with kids, no matter what I do.