turned down for another interview!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tiffanys, Jul 28, 2008.

1. tiffanys

tiffanys Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I am out of my mind with frustration and grief. I have just received an email that I cannot be considered for the position that I applied for because I do not have experience with kids.

Tell me this... if noone is willing to give me the opportunity to get experience HOW AND WHERE should I go to get it?

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

That sounds really frustrating, Tiffanys.

What type of position are you applying for?

4. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

I'm sorry Tiffany! I would be so frustrated right now! Is there any way you could do some volunteering with kids... Just a thought!

5. tiffanys

tiffanys Companion

Jul 28, 2008

Yes, I will have to look into volunteering but right now I'm at the point of giving up all together. I just graduated with my masters in el ed so im certified for K-6 and i have my bachelors degree in marketing and business administration.

I haven't had 1 interview yet for a teaching position and im not too optimistic that i will get one, unfortunately, i will be unable to sub during the school year as i need a full time job!

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

Did you do student teaching or practicum experience with your masters? If you haven't, from a school district's point of view, you cost more money to employ and they are taking a GIANT risk if you don't have experience working with children. If this is the case, you will need to be proactive to get hired. You will need to put in the time and effort to GET experience working with kids.

Volunteer for a summer camp
    Volunteer at a school
    Tutor
    Sub
    ete, etc, etc.

7. tiffanys

tiffanys Companion

Jul 28, 2008

yes, I did GOBS(!) of practicum experience!

8. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

if it makes you feel better, i have 5 yrs experience (inner city) & am also having NO LUCK :( finding a good job.

i don't believe it's fair to turn down candidates based simply on the fact that they have 'no experience.' i used to sit it on interviews, which were primarily w/first year teachers. it was amazing to me how much i could gage about a person from a short 20 min. conversation. long story short, we ended up hiring several first years that did very well in our "challenging" (nicest way to put it :() school. i don't think "inexperienced" necessarily means unqualified.

good luck as you continue your search :) :) :).

Meri

9. tiffanys

tiffanys Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I am almost inclined to write back to the "thanks but no thanks " experience emails and ask them what would have made me a better candidate--ugh who am I kidding---

10. hopscotch

hopscotch Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I'm so sorry, Tiffany. It's an age-old dilemma: Must have experience, to get experience, to get experience. It's a continual loop that's nearly impossible to break into.
    I think it would be a good idea to respond to some of the emails and ask if there's anything you could do to improve your chances of getting an interview. It can't hurt anything, right?

11. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 28, 2008

This might be a silly question, but are all your practicums listed on your resume?

Also, don't be shy, go ahead and politely ask what else you could do to be more markatable. I'm sure the prinicpals woulnd't mind telling you.

Lastly, remember, there is still time. The fat lady has not sung. :)

12. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

You can volunteer to read at the local library too. Maybe you can figure a way so that you could possibly sub for 1 day a week? I had a friend who was offered a job doing that because she was in the same school that one day and they saw her competence.

13. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I agree with the others. Volunteering is a great way to be able to work with children. Also consider subbing your way into a permanent position. By subbing you can get that experience, learn the schools you like and prove yourself as a valuable future teacher.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2008

Well, I have 2 years experience, 2 interviews this summer, 0 offers!! I'm not sure what admins are looking for!

15. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 28, 2008

My undergrad is in interdisciplinary and my masters is in elem ed...

i have 9 years experience as a sub and 2 years experience as a parapro...

i also volunteered in high school as an assistant in the kindergarten classroom....

i have awesome scores and look very good on paper and have not gotten an interview either.....i tell ya, that may be what they told you but I am convinced that the secret is in who you know not what you know and what experience you have.....

i am totally convinced that the jobs are going for favors. I may be way way way way wrong..and I know it is not ALL of them....but, it seems way way way more political that I ever would have guessed!!

hopefully, the next week or so will bring great things for all of us!

16. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

Ahhhh okay. There are those that graduate without any actual teaching experience. Sounds like you have plenty of that!

I agree with the others- it can't hurt to ask what you can do to improve and what they are looking for.

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 29, 2008

Sorry to hear about your issue. It's a real shame they won't hire someone because of this--- all I had under my belt is 14 weeks of student teaching (which they called one of the teachers I worked with and she gave me a wonderful recommendation) and some online tutoring that wasn't formal in any way.

One tactic you might want to try out--- if you haven't--- is that you work up on any experiences you've had working with kids (perhaps make up a journal of what you did through out any experiences you've had with kids) and show that to people to help them see how you reflect on your work and secondly, work on your strength on knowing your content and knowing you'd be a very professional and highly educated individual.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2008

I may be sensing a pattern here...

But do you know of anyone personally, in any of these districts?

I think all the experience in the world doesn't mean squat if the people don't know or trust you.

If somebody knows you, and refers you, I think that may be the key.

So, yes...volunteer..and they will get to know you. The more you get out there, the more people you will meet, and you will become a familiar face.

I think that's how I got started. When I was laid off of my secretary job, I walked my daughter to school. I couldn't afford to keep her in Kindercare the entire week! My daughter's principal saw me so much, she put 2 and 2 together and asked if I was looking for work. :|

And the rest, as they say... is history...

19. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

This was one thing that I believed help me get my job even though I don't have any experience. They were telling me that they had a high mobility rate (students moving in and out of the district) and how would I deal with those type of students. I showed them a SIM module (Self Instructional Module) that I'd given to a student who missed a lot of school. It's basically a unit plan that takes the student step by step through whatever they missed without requiring teacher presence. Mine was a power point that the student was given on a CD that had thorough instructions, responses, animation and printable manipulatives. They really liked that because they thought it was really technologically forward. So my advice would be to show them aspects of your teaching style unique. Being fresh out of college makes me tech savvy, distinguishing me from (many, but not all) veteran teachers who have been teaching since before I was born.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2008

I am still feeling you. Found out today another position taken down w/o an interview, even though I emailed and dropped off a mini port. I think when the principal gets back into the office, I'm going to email him asking why i didn't get an interview and what I needed to do to get myself to stand out. I'M TIRED OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

21. tiffanys

tiffanys Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I was also thinking the same thing smalltowngal--- I just haven't figured out how to word it and I don't necessarily want to leave a bad taste in their mouth.

22. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 14, 2012

I had that no experience problem. I just kept sending my resume out, till I got hired.

23. milteachwife

milteachwife Rookie

Mar 14, 2012

I think there is a bias towards career changers. They know that you need a chance to work work with children in order to have experience. Subbing is a great route to build that experience. But you can also teach Sunday school and someone has already mentioned volunteering. Tutoring is also an option. You should also look into private schools and daycare (that still counts as experience with children). Don't count yourself out yet. Hang in there. The economy is tough and budgets are tight, so school districts are being quite picky.

24. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Mar 16, 2012

Thats such ashame that schools aren't considering your student teaching and practiums as experience. I believe especially student teaching should count as experience. Why not look into subbing or working at a preschool. That would show you have some paid experience with kids. Or you could work/volunteer at after school programs.

25. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2012

I see the OP is really old, but wanted to respond to this. I think the problem is that so many ST programs have their STs doing very little in the classroom. Not that it's always the colleges fault- I know at my dad's school they will flat out say that they won't ever let a ST have full control because of state testing. We had a 3rd grade ST last year, and she was literally never in charge of the full day in the classroom. She was here for 10 weeks, and the most teaching she ever did was 2 weeks where she taught about 3/4 of the lessons. My dad (special ed teacher) has a ST right now and she is literally only supposed to work with two of his students on select lessons. So she wont' ever get a taste of even what half of the regular job is like- I can't imagine trying to go out and do a job like this having a ST experience like that. That's actually per her college program requirements- although his school wouldn't let her fully take over, they'd certainly let her do more than that.

When I was a ST, I was literally in charge of 100% of the classroom for almost the entire year. After observing and gradually taking over for about a month, I planned and taught ALL lessons, all small groups, I led conferences, parents contacted me, I attended IEP meetings, team planning meetings, RtI meetings, etc. For all intents and purposes I was the teacher in that classroom that year. When I moved to my sped placement, I'd already been working with most of the kids in my role as the gen ed teacher so I took over 100% right away. I was very frustrated starting out that my experiences weren't counted as "real." I don't mind on the salary scale or anything- but I'm talking for interviews and job considerations and such. Last year was my first "real" year and people constantly commented on how they couldn't believe I was a first year teacher. I always wanted to say that I didn't really think I was- I really considered student teaching to be my first year. I'd already worked through the "first year stuff" there. I also did years of practicums before full time student teaching, so I had tons of classroom experience. Given that my experiences were in various school settings and across all grade levels in my licensure, I honestly think that type of experience would be more valuable than having just one year of "real" teaching experience in one setting.