Turned down for a grant

Discussion in 'General Education' started by princessbloom, Oct 11, 2011.

1. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 11, 2011

Excuse my vent....

My team looked into purchasing the Social Studies Weekly to use for our social studies lesson. This paper is great because it's 100% aligned with our benchmarks. At the beginning of the year we wanted to ask parents to give us $5 so we could purchase them for each student. (This would be $5 for the entire year, mind you.) The principal caught wind that we were asking for money and told us we were not allowed since the parents already do SO much. (We are NOT a Title I school.) She told us we need to have it come out of our account from class donations or to write a grant for PTA to purchase them for us. Since our class donations wouldn't even cover half the cost of them, we wrote the grant to PTA. Today we received a notice that they were not going to give us the grant.

The kicker,
    PTA DID grant the Science department money to purchase new balances AND our P told another grade level they could ask parents for $5 to purchase Buckle Down books.

Really??????

UGH! :eek::(

I thought about purchasing them myself for my kids but I'm just out of money. Writing another grant to somewhere else would just take too long.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 12, 2011

Can you find a grant that is just fill in the lines. My co-grant writer did two of those last week.

4. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Oct 12, 2011

@ Blue. I've heard of those fill in the line mini grants. Do you have any idea on how to find them? Good luck princess and I think your situation stinks:(

5. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Oct 12, 2011

Can you use what you already wrote and apply on Donorschoose.org? I Received a class set of books by them this year. Also, parents can donate anonymously on the site if they want to so it won't look like you're asking them for money and no one will know who donated and who didn't.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 12, 2011

I was also going to suggest donorschoose.

7. Rachel Duhon

Rachel Duhon New Member

Oct 12, 2011

Hi PrincessBloom,

Have you looked into donorschoose.org? They usually do a great job of having someone help provide materials to classrooms.

Hope this helps,

Rachel Duhon

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 12, 2011

Ask your principal if any info regarding grants has come across his desk. Our school almost lost out on $1,000 due to lack of interest by the school staff.

I search the internet for opportunities. I write grants for a middle school. Today I am going to check out Pepsi, Coke, Target, K-mart, and the local utility company. Sometimes a local store--like Walmart will donate locally. If I find any "fill in the blanks" I will post it here.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 12, 2011

The problem with donor's choose is that you can only use their vendors! I don't know the product you want is available through them.

If not, try adopt a classroom! I've also had success with Target in the past. :)

10. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 12, 2011

One of our team members went to the P today and basically BEGGED her and wrote a persuasive paper telling her why we needed them and the benefits.
    By the end of the meeting the P agreed that we could ask the parents for money! YAY!
    I guess persistence and really "stating your case" can work.

Very thankful to our team member!

Thanks everyone. I considered donorschoose.org but my only hesitance was that we needed the materials NOW. We don't have a Social Studies curriculum and we were going to center our activities around the Social Studies Weekly since they are 100% aligned.
    After almost 9 weeks into the school year (having to wait for the grant and answers from everyone) we feel like we've already waited long enough.

Glad that's over with!

Still interested in any fill in the blank grants though! :)