Turn taking when reading and issues with following

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by jamoehope, Nov 4, 2009.

1. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Nov 4, 2009

This is an embarrassing question for me. I'll try to frame it in the context that I'm in my second year as Resource teacher and I'm STILL working on some things with my students... Here's one of the issues. :dizzy:

I have some 3rd graders who are mixed bag when it comes to reading aloud in turns. I like to have the students read one sentence at a time from passages.
    - One is an excellent reader who has great difficulty paying (or seeing the need to pay) attention while the others read aloud. When it is his he often has no idea where he is supposed to read.
    - Several struggle to read but are good at following by their eyes or by listening and then finding where the last student left off.
    - One struggles to read and to follow. If I ask him to follow another student while he reads, this student will track with his finger or his eraser on his pencil, but will easily get off place or easily forget to continue following. When it is his turn again, he often has no idea where he is supposed to read.

What can I do to ensure the students get their turns reading but also follow one another so they'll know where to read when it's time?

I'm thinking of trying something motivating like getting a turn to progress in a "board game," or getting group points every time a student knows where to read, but I'm afraid this will single out the student who has so much trouble tracking. I don't want to try to use punishment methods but I do want the students to take their time seriously so they can read as much as possible while they are with me.

Any tips would be really appreciated. :thanks:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

Try 'popcorn reading':

Have one student start reading- you can require that the student read at least ___# of sentences then at some point,the student says "popcorn to....." and they now pick someone in the group to continue reading where they left off.
    You could make bookmarks for the kids and give a sticker if they were able to pick up the reading where the prior student left off...

4. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Nov 4, 2009

Good point. I could try that. I could also reward students with something once they reach a certain number of stickers on the bookmark. That might help the student who is otherwise unmotivated.

What else can I do for the student who has so much trouble tracking, though?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

How about trying something like the EZC reader at reallygoodstuff? You might also try using an index card but there is research about the colored filters on 'trackers' like the EZC- you might want to order several different color ones- different kids/different struggles seem to work better with different colors:
    http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/prod...-8b85-8967de1fb0cf&categoryname=E.Z.C. Reader

6. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Nov 4, 2009

what about offering a group reward that way at the end of the passage you can say you guys earned blank points for staying on task, know where we are.

7. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 4, 2009

Just out of curiosity what is the learning goal in terms of getting them to read aloud?

8. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Nov 4, 2009

This is a good idea! Thanks!

I'm considering that method.

The learning goal is that the students practice reading a passage that is at their reading level. In order for me to monitor their decoding abilities, I want them to take turns reading sentences aloud.

If you have other suggestions on how I can monitor their decoding abilities in context of sentence reading, I would love to know!

9. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Nov 4, 2009

I did 2 things mainly to get my 3rd grade students to stay on track.
    One is that every child tracked with their finger. Everytime. No excuse.
    The other is to play teacher/student. Every time the next reader is in the right place the students get a point if they aren't the teacher gets one. The goal is to beat the teacher. To start off with I gave prizes every time they beat me then they had to beat me so many times before a prize eventually no prizes they kept a running tally of how many days in a row they beat me.

10. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Nov 5, 2009

Good suggestions. I want to enforce tracking although I feel I'm going to have to be lenient (or somewhat lenient) with the one student so I don't frustrate him.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 5, 2009

The trackers are excellent.

You could also try a piece of paper that they hold below the sentence until you can get a tracker though

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 5, 2009

My first thoughts were all of the suggestions above. My classes always loved popcorn reading. If the selected student didn't know where to start because he/she was not following, they had to skip their turn. They would get asked again, of course. I wouldn't use punishments for this with regular ed or special ed.

I bought solid color bookmarks in the scrapbooking section and let the kids choose from them for their own use (to track sentences). Color does affect attention, in some cases, so be aware of that and let them switch. The EZC things are good, and the clear edges are colored, I think, but the color may not work for a particular child.

You could get the Irlen overlays and test for sensitivity. Some teachers on here have even attested to having trouble personally with black on white print shifting and jumping.

Irlen Overlays can be ordered from Recorded Books, LLC:
    www.recordedbooks.com 1-800-638-1304
    There is a whole kit for $89 or 4-packs of one color for $15, various sizes.

They are also available at: http://www.crystalspringsbooks.com

13. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 5, 2009

Popcorn reading was something that was used a lot in my MS and HS honors english classes.

14. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Nov 5, 2009

Keep your problem tracker right next to you. When I taught my small groups my problem tracker was always right next to me so I could reach over and point to where we were if I saw him get off track. My last group I had 4 boys with tracking problems. Luckily we had 3 teachers (team taught and inclusion) so one teacher ran large group and the other 2 had 2 kids a piece to work with. We would sit right next to them and they would track with our help.

15. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 5, 2009

Okay I guess this is another national difference. In Canada we are trained not to have students read aloud. If I want to evaluate students decoding we do guided reading groups and I have them all working individually and one at a time I will have them read for a few seconds.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 13, 2009

Spam post?

Rather unusual SQL query. That would be one cluttered database

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2009

Not sure it's a 'national difference'...there are many ways to deliver reading instruction. Many US teachers employ a variety of methods in a well-rounded, balanced approach to teaching reading and assessing students' skills.

Do you truly get enough information about a student's strengths/needs in listening to them read for only a 'few seconds'?

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2009

Ummm, did anyone see her 'homepage' address? It's a blog for nudists.... if it's spam, it's naked spam...:eek: