-TURN IT IN- Plagiarism Software

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ku_alum, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 4, 2011

Who uses it?

Tell me about it.

How much work is it for the teacher?

How much work is it for the student?

Does the purchase license follow the student (e.g. can it be used by the student in multiple classes?) or does it follow the teacher (e.g. the teacher gets enough licenses for her students?)

What does it do besides give a score/rating for plagiarism ... does it offer any type of editing? help to students?

What do you NOT like about it?

What do you LOVE about it?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 4, 2011

I have not used Turnitin because my school will not pay for the license. However, I have used Paper Rater, which is similar and free.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2011

Turnitin is available on our board hosted Moodle. I haven't used it much yet, but will be with my students' public speaking assignments.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2011

My school uses it.

But as a math teacher, I personally don't-- my kids don't hand in any papers that would make it useful.

From what I understand, people like it!

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2011

I used it at my last school. I loved it. I actually used it to have everything turned in. My school purchased the licence and only myself and the senior English teacher ever used it. I would give them the code to my class and she would give them her code. They would register one time and both classes would be on their account. You can set it to allow them to edit or not.

7. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Nov 5, 2011

At my high school we used it, so I do not know very much about it from a teacher's perspective, but as a student it was very easy to use. It would take about 2 minutes to use. Students would go to the website and upload the essay, which was very easy to do. I never had any problems with it. After you uploaded the essay, it would show you how much was plagiarized and from where. It also compares the essay against other essays already in the system, so you can see if a student used their friend's essay who goes to another school. The only problem I ever had with it, was that it would usually say that 20-30% of my essay was copied, because said things like "in the novel, 'A Tale of Two Cities'" was plagiarized, so as a teacher it is important to go back and look at what Turn It In says is copied. Other than that there were never any problems :)

8. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Nov 5, 2011

It's useful, I think.

I used it through Blackboard, and students uploaded their papers on the same day they turned the paper in to me.

Then TurnItIn created a spreadsheet with each paper, student name, etc. and a percent rating for plagiarism.

The one glitch is that it doesn't really (or didn't then) understand quotes. So if the student used a lot of quotes, TII would claim that the paper was 40% plagiarized when really it was mostly quotes. Same thing happened sometimes with footnotes.

You learned to cope with that, though, and to know that every paper would come back with 5-15% ratings because of little weird things about how it worked. When you got something more like 30%, you could open the paper and the system highlighted sections and indicated where they originated (so blue for wikipedia, pink for a paper turned in by another student and in the database, etc.).

I used it a lot and I think it had a valuable deterrent effect. I caught only a couple of students with it, but that was a pretty typical rate for doing the plagiarism tracking myself and TII was much easier for me.

We don't use it at my current school.

9. Mary Jenkins

Mary Jenkins New Member

Aug 28, 2020

I was using Turnitin last year. It is a great tool with extensive functionality and a lot of useful features. This software was improved greatly and now it is considered to be #1 plagiarism prevention software at academic institutions. Many of my colleagues use it at their schools.
    Now we are using Unicheck at my school.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  10. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Sep 2, 2020

Does anyone have any idea how much it costs?

11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Sep 3, 2020

IDK the cost, but it is good to see you back. It seems like it has been a long time! ;)

MrTempest likes this.
  12. Mary Jenkins

Mary Jenkins New Member

Sep 4, 2020

Do you mean Turnitin? First of all, you have to choose a product or several products you would like to buy. They have Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, iThenticate, Gradescope, etc. I guess Turnitin Similarity tool is the best one for teachers. If you want to learn more information on any other products, chose any at the bottom of the page.
    Secondly, they provide various licenses for academic institutions, and the price depends on a plan your school wants to choose. Thus, it is better to get to know the price with their Sales Team. They will consult you on all the questions.

If you mean the prices for Unicheck (the tool I have written recently about), you can check them on their website.