Turn Homeward Hannalee

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by ijames, Jun 8, 2009.

1. ijames

ijames New Member

Jun 8, 2009

I am new to this forum. I am a 5th grade teacher who is looking to put more class novels into the curriculum. The first one I am thinking about reading with my class is Turn Homeward Hannalee because it goes along with the our Civil War Unit in Social Studies. I was wondering has anyone ever used this book as a class novel and how did it go? I was also wondering if maybe someone could share some activities they may have done with this story. Thanks!

3. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 9, 2009

Welcome to AtoZ! Sorry, but I have not read or even heard of that book, so I can't help, but it sounds interesting. I will be watching this thread to find out more...hopefully someone is familiar with it. :)

4. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jun 10, 2009

edhelper.com is a great site to use for a variety of resources. It has a lot of literature units. You might try there. It does require a membership to print though. you might check and see if anyone at your school is a member, or if your school has membership. If not, it might be something you would consider joining on your own.

5. jeannemo

jeannemo New Member

Aug 28, 2011

My school is located near Roswell which makes Turn Homeward Hannalee a perfect fit for a novel study in our class. Not to mention, as you said, it coincides very well with the Civil War study.

We have used this novel for 4 years now. We take a fieldtrip to tour downtown rosweel, including the square, mill, and some churches and homes in the area where the book took place. We also end the study with a tasting party where parents bring in the many "old timey" foods mentioned in the book and we encourage the students to taste it. In addition, the students keep a journal while reading where they "are" the character- writing in first person and we have in class discussions, study voabulary, etc. Feel free to let me know if you would like additional ideas, but we love this unit and I do encourage you to try it!