turkey craft

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by cheer, Oct 22, 2008.

1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Oct 22, 2008

Hello, I am looking for a turkey craft that is appropriate for 3-5 years old. I really like to use something other than hand prints. Please let me know all your create ideas!

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Oct 22, 2008

turkey hats! lil ones love hats..regardless of what it is! I've done them with my k's and they have fun with it.

I cut paperplates in half..and we color that in brown. For the turkey face I cut out a bowling pin shape in brown. they can draw the eyes and beak on..or can glue on wiggle eyes or however you want.

3x 18 strips can be stapled to fit it better to their head.

Good cutting practice is for the feathers....2x3 strips of red, yellow, orange..and I think I may have used tan....to cut the corners off. and piece it all together.

Somewhere online..if you google search..there is a cute little song that goes to the farmer in the dell and counting the turkies feathers.

4. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Oct 22, 2008

It's one I use my salad spinner for! We salad spin circles to be the feathers and then glue on the same bowling pin shaped body from brown paper with details.

5. teacherkerry

teacherkerry Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

We make paper bag turkeys. You can use brown lunch sacks or white bags that are painted brown. Stuff the bag with a piece or two of newspaper (you can do this ahead of time or get the kiddies to do it) and close it with an elastic or string. Cut out a head shape and have the children glue on wiggle eyes and a beak then have them glue it to the flat (bottom) of the bag. The kids then stick real feathers and feathers I have cut out of construction paper. It's funny cause some of them only stick two feathers on-one of either side-like wings and then some go crazy with the feathers. The children can then take these home as centerpieces for the Thanksgiving Table.

6. cheer

cheer Comrade

Oct 23, 2008

Whats a salad spinner? Can I get one of those? Are they cheap?

7. lovetoshop

lovetoshop Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

I like the toilet paper roll turkey. Have the kids trace their hands and cut them out. Glue them on the back of the toilet paper roll, using black paper cut out a a square and a rectangle to make the pilgram hat, use googly eyes and have them draw on a smile. It's so cute when it's finished.

8. skerns

skerns Companion

Oct 23, 2008

We make many different turkeys. This year we are making Tootsie Turkeys. We paint one foot with paint and make their footprint on to paper. They then cut out feather shapes in 8 colors. These are glued onto the top of their foot. Add triangle beak, wiggle eyes, and a red wavy gobbler. Too Cute.

We do this as a two day project, so the paint can dry. My assistant sends me one child at a time, after they have removed one shoe and sock. I paint their foot, they giggle. I have them step down onto the paper. I then set it aside and have them dip/wash their foot in a bucket of water. Step onto towel and return to aid for the next kid.

I have 30 students this year, but we have 2 aids to help.

9. imat

imat Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

11. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Oct 24, 2008

A salad spinner is used to dry lettuce after washing. I got mine at IKEA, I think it was $5. In order for it to be a good salad spinner for art projects, it should have nice flat area inside, not be too bowl shaped, and preferably no drainage holes in the bottom otherwise paint comes out the bottom.

12. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

We make clay turkeys (either home-made or store bought clay). The children form a ball and squeeze out a head/neck, then add feathers and a red pipecleaner piece for a wattle. Most look like feather balls, but they are so cute. We try to do sculptures whenever we can.

13. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Oct 26, 2008

I have a large laminated turkey (minus the feathers) that I drew. The children tell me what they are thankful for and I write these on construction paper feathers. We glue these onto the turkey and display in the hallway.