trying to teach death and dying

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Guest, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 7, 2002

I am a college student in Elementary Education. I have to put a lesson plan together for teaching students about death and dying. I have looked for as much stuff as possible, and have run into a dead end. Could you please help me? I just need to know where to look for information regarding my subject. Thank You so much! -Future teacher in need

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 7, 2002

death

Arnold Schwartenegers wife - her name is totally drawing a BLANK wrote an amazing book about someone dying and being with god in heaven. mommaruthie still here.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 7, 2002

I do not know the author off the top of my head..but the book
    The Fall of Freddy The Leaf is a wonderful book about the cycle of life..it is all about a tree loosing its leaves and going thrugh it;s natural cycle...but it ties into real life. I helped me understand death when I was young and a close family memeber passed away.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 7, 2002

That would be Maria Shriver.

What about The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein?

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 7, 2002

The Tenth Good Thing About Barney is another good book (don't remember the author)... the kid in the story experiences the death of a pet and copes by remembering good things about him. :)

7. Teacher Barb

Teacher Barb Rookie

Oct 9, 2002

10th Good Thing

The Tenth Good Thing About Barney is by Judith Viorst. I read that to my first grade students when our volunteer reader who came in twice a week was killed in a car crash. I had no idea how to deal with death with my students, as they didn't cover that in college, so I was glad to hear about your project. Good luck!

8. CM Eryn

CM Eryn Guest

Oct 11, 2002

I just did a search on Amazon.com under children's books with the subject death and dying. It brought up over 500 books! You could see which of these your library has and pick the best ones.

I have used the book "Everett Anderson's Goodbye" but I can't think of the author.

My first year of teaching I taught first grade at a private, Christian school. We had a little girl in 2nd grade who died of cancer in April. She had had it since Kindergarten, and we had been praying for her and her parents all year. We talked about how God might heal or body, or He might stop her pain by letting her go to heaven. It was amazing how well prepared they were when she did pass away. I grew so close to that class through that experience!

Now I teach in a public school, and I'm not sure how things would be different. We just lost the superintindent of our school district in a car accident a couple weeks ago. Though most of the students didn't know her, we talked about it a little. The main thing that I have found, is that kids relate to what they know, so telling stories of their own loss is very important. Last year, I had a boy who's father was killed in a DUI crash the year before. I noticed that there were times when he felt free to share, and other times that someone who make reference to it that he would clam up and get distant. I let my class know about my brother who died young (mostly when we talk about smoking, drugs and bad choices), and I think that helps them to realize that everyone has losses, but we can still remember and love those who have died.

Hope this helps.

9. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Oct 14, 2002

I just had to add my two cents. I did a service leearning project with the elderly and one of the componets was death and dying. I used a book called the Hundred Penny Box. The author escapes me at the moment. It was a powerful little story. Also for the 2nd-3rd grade set A Taste of Blackberries is great. My personal favorite is for the 4th -6th grade set. The Bridge to Terabitiah(?sp)
    The first book is about the death of an older person the others are about the deaths of children. All of the classes I used these books with enjoyed the stories.
    Kim