Trying to stay positive..

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mrs.Gould, Jun 4, 2007.

1. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

I was in my building the other day and no one said they were called. So she either didn't call my refs, or just called the principal.

2. trptman

trptman Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

In Ohio, my experience is that if you have a masters degree and experience, they hold it against you. I'm not kidding. It's pretty much all about hiring whoever is the cheapest. They'll take the person they can put on the bottom rung of the pay scale almost every time.

As to your last question...
    Why do the principals treat people this way? Because they can get away with it.

3. trptman

trptman Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

If you've got bills to pay and had no job for a while....a bad job IS better than no job. You've got to decide what your situation is and how much longer you think it will be before you can land the "good" job.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

I, too, believe that the forces of the universe work things out so that they happen when they're supposed to. It will happen for you, sooner rather than later.

I haven't been following your story, so forgive me if you've already addressed this, but are you willing to relocate? Do you think that might make you more marketable?

5. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 13, 2007

Update...I just called the principal of the place I interviewed and she called me back! I told her that I called the BOE office since there was a meeting on Monday and they said the positions were filled. She said, no that wasn't the case, that she still had more demo lessons to observe. She said that I did a great job and she's got 3 prime candidates so far. I've never heard of a princpal having so many demo lessons...

At least I know it wasn't my refs...ie. the principal that got fired!

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2007

My opinion still stands. I'm not saying not to work. Of course, you should pay your bills. I've been in a school that was terrible and I somehow managed to survive. There are always non teaching jobs available for in the meantime, It's not worth hating teaching because you settled for a job just to have one. When you find the right fit, you will feel it. I saw the red flags beforehand, but chose to ignore my gut instinct. I now regret my decision.

7. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

Hang in there, you guys. It will happen. :)

8. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 13, 2007

I forget what you are doing right now...do you like it?

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2007

I work for a non profit agency as a case manager for developmentally disabled adults and children. I like my job, and I am still in the field of SPED.... just getting a different perspective. However, my heart lies in teaching.

10. annafish

annafish Companion

Jun 13, 2007

This thread makes me feel better everytime I read it. I am really hoping that this is the year that I get something permanent. It is very hard to stay positive. I have to continue to hope that the right job is waiting for me. Thank you guys!

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2007

Hang in there annafish!

12. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

Yes. I was offered a contract just a few months before I got this one. Luckily for me, they had made a mistake on the numbers so I didn't sign the contract when they presented it to me. I really liked the principal a lot, but I was warned by friends not to take that job because of certain issues with the school--it was a private school. I visited the classroom to meet my new students. You wouldn't believe...they had already intentionally run off six teachers that year and no one would substitute in that class anymore. Their first teacher was a man, because he assigned homework and tried to implement structure the students wrote a petition to have him fired! They told me with glee all of the things they had done that year to their teachers. Never, ever in public schools have I encountered such a class. They told me that if I thought I was going to make them work and follow rules, I was going to have a very bad year! Can you believe it! I told the principal, sorry, but this isn't for me. She was crying and furious with the class, too. No wonder. Well, I hope it woke the parents up so they'd support the teachers and administrator after that.

Through this same "district" I was offered four positions, three after this first one. But I declined. When I went to the "district" interview, there was a panel of three administrators. We had a really great interview. At the close, the main admin asked, "Can you tell me what you think the difference will be in teaching with our schools rather than public schools?" I thought. Then I said, "Well, except for the fact that Christianity is part of the curriculum, no." They all looked disappointed. So I asked, "You seem to be disappointed in my answer. Can you tell me, what is it you hoped I would say?" The main admin answered, "Well, yes. Usually when we ask this question what we like to hear is that teaching in public schools is just a job while teaching in our schools is a vocation."

I just sat there for a long moment. To calm myself down. I said, "I'm sorry, but I just have to say this. You are telling me that you want someone teaching your students who feels that teaching public school children is a Job? Teaching children is always a vocation. If someone told me that it was ever a job I would not want that teacher with my children. And for that matter, are you saying that public school children are not children of God? Wow, I can't say that I'm sorry I didn't answer the question the way you had hoped." Of course I said all of this in a polite tone of voice, but still, I had to say it. I was questioning whether I wanted to work with people who could look at "unpriviliged" children that way.

They all sat there looking shocked for a long moment. Then they all started talking at once. I never thought of it that way...thank you for saying that...I'm really impressed...maybe we need to rethink our ideas...

Then they told me that I was an eligible candidate, ready for hire, and I would be getting calls for jobs. But all in all, I'll stick with public schools. I like the inclusiveness. Called to be....

13. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

Before anyone takes offense at this, believe me I know they are not all like this. Please don't think that I think that. I'm just letting everyone know that Ms. Frizz is right, you have to work in a place that fits you. Because it isn't "just a job."

14. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

What a great philosophy. :)

15. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 13, 2007

I agree...but its hard to pass up an offer if that's the only one you get. I didn't think I would like the school I worked in this year, but it turns out that the staff is the most friendly group of teachers I have ever worked with. I felt very comfortable there...just the principal I wasn't crazy about.

16. cjven

cjven Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

Educ8tor,

Were you working at my old school :)?

That is exactly what happened to me. They were seniors and the teacher before me was really laid back and rarely assigned homework but I was not what they expected and actually wanted them to participate and write a paper.

Alot of parents wrote letters to the principal and called and complained. The administration was really supportive but I got sick of having to hear about it all of the time.

At parent teacher conferences I had one parents yell at me about not cheering enough at the homecoming game, etc. After she left I actually broke down into tears. If I could have broke my contract at that point I would have. The priest at the school even told me that "I don't fit in."

I'm just glad that I got (hopefully) a better job this year!

17. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

njeledteacher, you are right. The thing for me is that I was subbing full time and teaching intersession about six times a year making triple the $ in each 10 day session, so I'd budget myself to stretch it out and we lived comfortably. I figured I was already "poor" so I could deal with it while I waited...I'm weird like that, though. I won't buy shoes or something for a whole year sometimes because I don't see anything I like. I take really good care of what I have...otherwise what would I do? :)
    You know what, I just had this feeling that what you want is "right around the corner." You're going to be happy. :)

18. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

Oh, I just remembered this, too. It's why Ms. Frizz's answer spoke to me. After not signing the contract, I went home and told my kids, there's a reason why that contract wasn't ready. I don't know what it is, but I know it happened for a reason.

19. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

Oh, that's so awful! That's just terrible. Well, let's just say it was the same type of school. And I am Catholic and I love my church for it's inclusion but I cannot figure out what happens when it comes to the schools? I taught CCD at night, too, and you should have heard the rude complaints and comments that we got for them having to share their classrooms with us! Like I said, called to be...

I see you're in Nebraska, I'm in California so not the same school but what a shame the same experience. :(

20. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

I just read the first page of this where you're talking about "who you know." It's true in some cases. On the 6th interview in my subbing district, I got a letter a week later saying thank you, but...I called the main interviewer and said, "You'd really be doing me a favor if you could tell me what it is I'm doing that's not working. This was my 6th interview..." She said, "Oh, no, honey, it wasn't anything you did. We liked you a lot, in fact. It's just that we already had someone in mind for the position and we just interviewed because we had to "fly" the position."

Like I said, hang in there. :)