Trying to stay positive, but...

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Mrs_Goatess, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 28, 2006

Somehow I feel like new teachers are being rubbed in my face!

I open the newspaper today, and on the front is a big picture and article about the new teacher luncheon at the yacht club (YACHT CLUB!). The picture was a new teacher (who may have the position I wanted, who knows?) smiling next to the principal who turned me down and constantly scared the heck out of me when I was long-term subbing there.

Then, at the real estate office I'm working at this summer, we get a call from a new teacher from out of state coming to teach locally (in my subject area at my old high school) who desprately needs a rental. She was so happy and excited; I felt like hanging up on her.

I hate the idea of becoming bitter, but I just want to forget that I ever applied anywhere at all!

:sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

I guess it was my day to need to vent.

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 28, 2006

I feel the same way sometimes. I'm working at an after school/summer program this summer. Actually, I worked there for 6 1/2 years until last November, left, and now I'm back there subbing for the summer. Anyway! The agency rents space in an elementary school for the program. All week teachers have been in and out of the building carrying in boxes and setting up their classrooms. I'm sure you understand how jealous this has made me. I can hardly stand it! I'm just continuing to be persistent and trying to stay positive, but it's definitely not easy!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2006

I have not gotten one phone call.... :(

I"ve also notice that it's either the new graduates who snag the jobs right away... or the other end of the spectrum- those who have been out for a long time.

I do beleive that we will all find something eventually. Having had one bad experience, I also suggest being choosy and do not settle if you feel that you will be unhappy. It could make for a very long year!

5. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 28, 2006

Sometimes it's so hard to be upbeat and happy for everyone else. It's nice knowing that other people feel the same way I do. I am genuinely happy for everyone who has gotten hired this year, but also a little (ok, sometimes a lot) jealous that I'm still looking. I've been offered a job in advertising (the field I left to pursue going back to teaching). I don't want to take it, but we like to eat, so if I don't get something before Aug 7th, I guess I'll have to. With school starting Tuesday, I figure I should know whether or not there is a position for me by the end of the week...if not, it's good-bye dreams for another year at least and back to the grindstone I thought I'd left forever.

OK, enough feeling sorry for myself...a job is a job, and there is still time to make my dreams come true!

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 28, 2006

goopp, a little side note--
    Even if you don't find anything by the start of school, keep looking! Even if you do end up going with the job in advertising, keep checking the local papers and district websites. I ended up with a long-term subbing position (wasn't subbing day to day at the time) in October of last year so you never know what's going to pop up!

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2006

this is my plan too!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2006

You know what? Everyone is entitled to feel badly when they don't (yet) have something they want, especially when they see others getting it. So have a short pity party, and do whatever will make you feel better.

Then turn those bad feelings into anger and GO after those jobs. Get in the car and hand deliver MORE resumes and cover letters. Email to everyone you can think of. Ask anyone you know, even remotely, in education if they know of any openings or have any connections to share with you.

You KNOW you're a better fit for some of those jobs than the people who got them, or at least just as good, right?? So sit down and make a list of all the reasons why, no holds barred. Then use that list to write a (more tactful) reminder to all those principals that you're a wonderful teacher and you're still available.

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 28, 2006

You're right Alice...and maybe some time off wouldn't be a bad thing. I think I'm going to pack up the kids and head to the pool for a while...and then I'll feel better this afternoon and get started again!

Thanks.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2006

You're welcome. And, job or no job, your kids deserve a mom who's relaxed and up for a day at the pool.

Plus, time away from a problem very often leads to a solution. You know what I mean-- the ideal answer hits you at 3am:rolleyes:

So have a great day at the pool, bring a camera and take pictures of the kids, and put this behind you for a day or two!

Have fun!!

11. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

I go up and down. Some days I'm upbeat and optimistic, and others I really dread calling all of the schools and principals. On top of not having a teaching job, I also have not a single call or interview for the last two months or so.

However, this is the way I see things. The more new teachers and returning teachers that are being hired right now...the less the competition will be as teaching spots begin to open up later on.

I am noticing the same thing here. It's either the fresh, new grads (I graduated only a year ago) or the returning teachers with experience who are being hired. Although, I am certain that I have much to offer as a teacher it does wear on me at times.

I just gave my two weeks notice at work today. I am going to be subbing for 2 different school districts in my area to get my foot in the door and to gain experience. Indeed, subbing is not the same as having your own class, but I am anxious and excitied to just get inside the classroom.

I am sure we will all get teaching positions...we just have to have a little bit of patience (more patience that is!) and remember that it takes much dedication to be a teacher.

Good luck to all of those who are still searching.

12. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 28, 2006

mrs. goatess-my friend called me the other day (she & i have both taught for 3 yrs in CRAPPY schools) w/a ridiculous story about a girl who just graduated. so my friend and i have been looking for good jobs since we graduated. we have accepted positions that no one else wanted :( and really tried to get as much "experience" as we can. in the meantime we have been looking for better jobs w/not much success, unfortunately. so my friend calls to tell me that this girl she knows, who just graduated, has interviewed w/3 local GOOD school districts. and 2 basically wanted to hire her! please keep in mind my friend and i-again, who have taught for 3 yrs-have applied to these places and heard NOTHING! so i guess this chick ended up accepting a position w/one of the schools...unbelievable! it makes me sick to my stomach to hear that things like this are happening-but they are. so after fuming for quite some time, i decided to try and turn my anger into a positive thing and i called several board offices. i found out about some openings that were not posted, and am currently following up on them. i also have a good lead on an interview in an AMAZING district next month...so we'll see what happens! try and turn your anger into energy...i know it's hard but it works! good luck!! :) -meri

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 28, 2006

Meri- I had something similar happen to me. I worked in a school as a long-term sub for 6 months (2 different maternity leave positions) and when they had openings for the grade level I was teaching I was interviewed. I was not hired for any of their openings, but two girls fresh out of college with no experience were hired to fill two of the positions. Come to find out they were hired because of their high GPA's (3.8 and 4.0) in college and because of the fact that they were math majors. Mind you, these were 5th grade positions for teaching math, science, and reading, not just math. I couldn't believe it, but I guess sometimes people just look better on paper regardless of their classroom experience.

14. shortee

shortee Companion

Jul 28, 2006

Hi all. I'm new to this website but I'm already so glad I found it. I too have been pounding the pavement with my resumes for weeks now and have had no offers. And school starts here on August 7. In fact the teachers start back on July 31. It's really distressing but now, at least I realize I'm not the only one.

Been feeling pretty sorry for myself. I've been called for 3 interviews but each told me right as soon as we sat down that they already had 20 or so applicants who were more qualified for the position. I felt that the interviews went well but I knew I wouldn't get a job offer. It's frustrating but I'm chalking it all up as networking.

15. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 28, 2006

You will find something that is perfect for you. I know it seems as though everything is working against you but just know that something will work out for you. Here's my story just to prove it to you.

I just posted about this on another thread... (I'm copying and pasting here.)When I graduated from college, the job market here was extrememly tight as is the case even now. The first 1/2 year, I worked in a daycare/preschool as a pre-K teacher. Once the school year started again, I worked for a year at USBank on credit card customer service while subbing. The next year I had two interviews and nothing! I was so depressed starting the school year subbing again even though I was completing a long-term maternity leave. What a blessing! The sub that was supposed to take on the maternity leave backed out which opened the door for me. Six weeks into the school year, a different teacher at a different school decided she wanted to resign. Because of the "good" job I had been doing on the L-T, I was recommended by the principal to fill that position. I interviewed against 4 other candidates. Within two days, I was hired to take over the classroom-- yahoo! my own room!! The original teacher stayed for another 1.5 weeks. (She was supposed to wait 3 weeks until I was done completing my leave duty.) So, the district had to hire in a sub to fill-in for the next 1.5 weeks until I was there. I am now entering my 8th year teaching in the district and am genuinely happy. I see that I needed to sub in order to gain more experience and make contacts. So, you see, things work out in mysterious ways. You will all find success and a position that is perfect for you.. have faith in yourself and your abilities.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 28, 2006

I went to school in Canada and our school districts that use student teachers are required to hire a certain number of new graduates. Is that the case in the States too? I taught for 6 years in a private school and could not get a public school job, so I moved here for a few years. I plan on going home next year and I hope my experience here will help me get my foot in the door in the public school district.

17. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 28, 2006

I agree with you. I did a long term subbing last August-October. In November I was hired in another district, and that's where I'm currently at. Yes I have to drive 35 miles everyday, but I'm grateful.

I'm not sure if you states have a page where you can put your teaching information on it. In Iowa we do. That's where I got my job. I put my info on there, and they contacted me. My school didn't even post this position in the paper where I live.

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 28, 2006

I have never heard of that being the case here.

19. Heddy Rae

Heddy Rae Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

I so-o-o feel your pain!

Last August, my husband broke both ankles and legs in an accident at work. It took him until February to walk again and is still in pain. We just found out that he will have to resign because his company does not have a job for him with his disabilities. This is 2 months before he is fully vested. :confused:

Previously, I lost my job and have been going to lots of interviews, but have not received an offer----there have been 16 interviews. I just completed my Master's and have 17 years experience.

My son is a senior so we really cannot leave for a year. I think we will go back to TX because even though there are bugs and heat, they need teachers and the state gave a pay raise to all of them.:cool:

I feel that I am in a nightmare that I cannot wake up from so it is hard to act happy right now. I just want to sleep and cry.....:(

H

20. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 28, 2006

I don't even know what to tell you. How can I tell you to stay positive when I'm in the dumps myself. I lost my job last March, but my hubby is still working. I was offered an advertising job, and would have started back doing that Aug 7th, except that I just got a call and the offer was rescinded. So, now I'm back with nothing again. Subbing doesn't pay much, but it is my only option right now and hopefully it will lead to something full time in the next few months.

Know that I'm praying for your family. I wish there was more that I could do...keep your head up if you can. Sometimes acting happy for our loved ones does help to improve our mood. It's ok to wallow in self pity for a little while, but not long, that only makes things worse. There is a job out there for you...keep believing.

21. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 28, 2006

OH Heddy Rae I am so sorry to hear about all that is happening to you and your family. It sounds like going back to TX is a good option for you.

I am still looking, somedays thinking I will hear something, other days wondering why I waste the time searching. Then hearing of my friend who just walked into a school building in FL, filled out an application and was hired-no experience, did not hold a teacher's license, never took courses in education, no clue how to handle middle school kids. Now she has been there 2 years, just finishing her required courses and will be a mentor to a new teacher...Just makes my head pound thinking about it.....

Our time will come, GOD willing-he does have a plan, just wish I could get a glimpse at it, just a glimpse to see where I land.....

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 28, 2006

(((((((Hugs))))))) to all of you.

23. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 28, 2006

Group hug, everyone!!

I, too, have been really depressed recently. I honestly thought I'd have a job by now and could spend the summer planning lessons. I'm at the point of either applying for every job, even though I'm not qualified, or not applying for any because I just can't bear the thought of being rejected again.

I don't know who's getting the jobs I'm not. I do know that at one job I was trying for, I was up against teachers with years and years of experience who had masters degrees. I have a BA in social science and just got my credential in May. It's really frustrating.

24. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 28, 2006

I have never heard of that being the case in the states. I think they might hire more recent grads in the states because they are at the zero experience pay step and therefore are cheaper. They also might be more energetic than some of the experienced teachers and have some fresh ideas to put to use. But I am not aware of any requirement to hire a certain percentage of recent graduates.

25. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

I am also stressing out. We need two more weeks until school starts and I just don't see myself getting hired any day soon. I call the schools regularly and it's always the same "we are fully staffed" answer. I've had one interview and never got a call back from them. I spend my days staring at the phone and sleeping my days away...anything that will keep me from looking at all the plastic bins full of teacher stuff that crowd half of my living room. I don't even visit any of my close relatives just because I really don't want to answer the dreaded question, "Have you heard anything, yet?"

This is soooo depressing. I just graduated in May, but all through the five years that it took me to get my degree, I always heard people talk about what a big need there is for teachers and how I will surely be picked up right away. Where did all the vacant jobs go?

On the topic of new graduates being picked up first...I'm not sure that I can agree with that...at least not from what I've seen. I have many friends and aquaintences that graduated with me and no one has yet to be hired by our local district. The ones that have been hired have had to move to bigger cities.

26. Heddy Rae

Heddy Rae Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

Ms. MB,

I understand what you are going through. My accumulation of school stuff is sitting in the garage and every time I pass it, it makes me wince. This summer I had plans to totally organize my house and teacher stuff, but it did not happen because I, like you, would like to forget about the whole thing.

I graduated in 1988 and they said that there were going to be teacher shortages from the baby boomers retiring. Some did, but people like my mom just retired from one state and went to work for another state to work on a 2nd retirement. She is 62 and plans on finally retiring when she is 70. That is great for her, but what about the younger generation that need jobs to survive?

At this point I don't know who gets hired and why they get hired. After 16 interviews this summer several things are apparent to me:
    1. They aren't reading my cover letter or resume very well
    (That is why I bold the things they want to see).
    2. You can do very well answering the questions, but in
    the end they decide who will fit in a team best ( I am an
    introvert and don't perform the same with a large
    interview committee which most of them use----gone
    are the days when you sit down with one person).
    3. I am not alone in this plight. I see the same highly
    qualified people at interviews and I hear what is going on
    around the country and world at this teacher forum so I
    see that I am not alone.

What it means. Get out of the house and on with your life! I am going to go to places like Sylvan to see about tutoring and also about starting my own tutoring business( tutors in the Denver area make between $30.00-$50.00/ hr.). I have also looked into subbing for two districts. How many times have we said to kids that life is not fair? It's true, but we don't have to be victims either. We can still use our education to better others and ourselves.

It's very hard to get out of that depressive funk we all get into when hit with huge disappointments, but it is time to pull ourselves up and get on with life.

I hope this reply is not offensive because that is not my intent. I needed a stern talk myself and so I am giving it to both of us. I find that my friends who have jobs tell me that I got shafted and that it is wrong, but that really just puts me in the funk again so hearing it like it is seems to make me more proactive. I wish you all the luck in the world!

Heddy :love:

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2006

Hi Heddy,

I've had LOTS of luck in the past 2 years with educational freelance writing as well. Try some of the freelance sites (www.freelancewriting.com, www.poewar.com -- there are others. Google "freelance writing)

Then try phrases like "educational writing" or "item writing"

28. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 29, 2006

From where I live....In the district that I live in.....A person has to have something special about them...Almost everyone graduates with Elementary Ed....Woo hoo....100 applicants for one position, and almost everyone has the same....What is going to keep you apart from the others...

I'm not sure what you have, but I would recommend getting some more endorsements and such...

I have Elementary and Special Ed and Reading endorsement...I was told that I would get a job right away..It took me a couple months, and I'm glad that I didn't get any of those jobs..I'm so happy teaching and making a difference in my classroom.

Also....It's all who you know....At least it is where I live....

29. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 29, 2006

mrs. barrett-connections are big here too. i believe that probably the only interview i'll get this summer (i have had zilch :( so far) will be through a friend of a friend. honestly, knowing someone is one of the only ways to get your foot in the door. so i don't feel bad for working what few connections i have! good luck everyone! -meri

30. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

UUGGG! Again!

Today's paper had a woman I went to high school with on the front, and now she, like her other two sisters, is a new teacher in our county.

I should just go back to reading Wong's First Day and pretend that there were NO new hires this year.

I'm going around with my new cards to the sub coordinators next week when teachers come back. I hope they still remember me...

31. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2006

I've been reading these threads for a few weeks and you guys have really helped me out! Now maybe my story will help you keep some hope alive. I've been home with kids (working part time in an ed-related field and subbing) for 14 years now and actively trying to get a teaching position for the last 5 years. I finally quit the job to sub full time last October and got some really good experience with long term sub jobs right away. That district didn't hire me! but I just made it throught 2 interviews in a nearby district and have been recommended to the supt. for a middle school job. With any luck, I will finally have a job! My advice if you have a similar scenario: offer to work at a lower step or at a beginning teacher salary. It's all about the budget! I'm sure some of you will disagree with me but when you have been out of the classroom as long as I have, it is like I'm starting over in their eyes.