Trying to resign

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Molly Houdek, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Molly Houdek

Molly Houdek Rookie

Jun 29, 2017

I signed a contract at a new district today then I went to my old district and gave them a letter of resignation and they said I have missed the date by one week. Basically they are saying that if they can get someone to fill the position then I am free to go but if not then I must stay. AcCording to the handbook I have 45 days before classes start to resign which is tomorrow but they said the date was a week ago any ideas ? Thoughts???
    What do I tell my new district???

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jun 29, 2017

Did you tell them during interview process that you were still under contract? This is a tough one..I will be following to see what others say! Good luck

Molly Houdek likes this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2017

Unless you are some sort of indentured servant, there is no way that they can forcibly keep you at the job. They may take action against your license or something, but you definitely do not have to stay.

Leaborb192 and Molly Houdek like this.
  5. Molly Houdek

Molly Houdek Rookie

Jun 29, 2017

Actually they knew I had a contract, but They also calculated my Out Date the same way I did as being tomorrow. Evidently it is a state standard thing. I am in Texas. 45 days before the first instructional day of school our school starts August 14

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 29, 2017

Did you ask your old district how they calculated the 45 days?

7. Molly Houdek

Molly Houdek Rookie

Jun 29, 2017

No but I suppose I will. Just so very surprised at what they said.

8. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 29, 2017

I thought Texas was an at will state? Maybe that's just my district. We can just give a 2 weeks notice whenever, on the flip side, we can be let go at any point in the year.

Molly Houdek likes this.
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2017

Turn in your resignation. It starts the 45 day clock and puts your old district on notice to find someone new.

Molly Houdek likes this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Molly Houdek likes this.
  11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 30, 2017

Call your professional organization. I bet if you get lawyers involved, they'd accept your on time resignation.

Molly Houdek likes this.
  12. Molly Houdek

Molly Houdek Rookie

Jul 1, 2017

I am going to tell my new district on Monday & see what they say. They calculated the date just like I did. I'd never have resigned otherwise.

13. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 2, 2017

I'm in Texas. They're lying to you. I called TEA and the lady I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about with the 45 days before the first day of school. She said TEA doesn't do this but the districts do and it's up to them.

I called because I've never seen almost every district in my area have a different first day of school. Usually it's all the same day but it's not this coming year and the 45 days thing is tricky. The only concrete place I've seen the 45 days written is TCTA https://tcta.org/node/11520-contracts

But they can't help on questions if you're not a member :angry:

They find someone for EVERY position. My first teaching assignment, I was hired August 14th. In August it speeds up quickly with registration.

Molly Houdek likes this.
  14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 3, 2017

In PA you can be held 60 days or they can go after your license. I was hired for a new job around August 20th a few years ago. My new district knew I was working in a different district. I got the job and they held it for me until my district found a replacement for me. I started the new job around the third week of school as it didn't take too long to get a replacement for me (it was 5th grade and there are TONS of applicants in PA for elementary positions). A friend of mine in the same district that I left was in a similar situation a year ago with an August job offer. They couldn't find a replacement for her (much harder to fill position) so she had to stay for the full 60 days. Her new place held the job for her and used a sub until she started.

In PA (at least my area of PA) it's very common place for it to happen with job offers in August. At my current school both last year and this past school year we had a teacher starting off the year that we knew would be leaving due to a new job offer that they just couldn't take yet. Long story short, let the place that just hired you know and if the 45 day thing is a Texas rule they'll be familiar with it and I suspect it won't be an issue for them to hold the job for you. Good luck!

catnfiddle likes this.
  15. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 3, 2017

My principal gave me a really hard time about resigning this year. I had until June 1st and I resigned on like May 19th. She told me that I had to wait until board approval and that wasn't until June 15th. I contacted a lawyer who told me that there was basically nothing they can do and just assumed they were going to let me out of it.

The last day of post planning we have a tradition where all of the teachers who are leaving have a teacher from there department get up and say something nice at a staff breakfast and then the teacher gets to say good bye. Everyone got called up one by one except me. At the end everyone was staring at me because they knew I had resigned and when someone mentioned it the principal said she "didn't know if I was going to be let out by the board". I said nothing but as I was leaving we got into a heated discussion. An "emergency" board meeting was held that night and I was out of my contract then. If your sure you resigned on the correct day, stand your ground and it will be fine.

In my case the worst thing the school could do was go after my license for breach of contract but the state body in charge of that won't pursue it if you resign by the correct date.

Molly Houdek likes this.