Trying to lose weight? Celebration spot

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 6, 2009

Many of us said we're going to try to go the gym more this year. So I thought this might be a great place to celebrate success, no matter how small. Heck-even getting to the gym each day is something to celebrate!

I had another weigh in with my trainer tonight, and that's what got me thinking about this. I started back on Nov. 25th at 141 lbs. Today, I weighed in at 133. I'm almost at 10 lbs!! I started at 33% body fat, and was down to 29.3% today.

I have some ambitious goals that I'd like to reach by my birthday-Feb. 12th.

Anyone else have anything to celebrate??

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2009

Not as big as yours, but I weighted in the other day at 140 :eek: and DH weights 133 (at 5'8). That really did it for me! So today I took a page out of your book and ate a PJ sandwich for breakfast and lunch, and had a smaller portion of what we were having for dinner. I also drank water today instead of my 4-5 sodas that I normally do. This is the 2nd day in a row where I've had 2 sodas.

4. Chrissy71

Chrissy71 Rookie

Jan 6, 2009

I just recently joined the gym, and I love going to the group classes. Unfortunately, I did something at home, not sure what and hurt my muscle on my hip. I am really bummed that I can't go right now. I am hoping to lose 10lbs. I have never had a weight problem before, but now that I am reaching my late 30's I am starting to gain weight and become flabby. Pretty depressing.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 6, 2009

Awesome, STG!! PB sandwiches seem really weird at first, but I find them so delicious now. I leave the jelly off, as it's just sugar, but I do get a sweeter bread to make up for it. I have one for breakfast, one for lunch, and then soup for dinner. Your stomach starts to shrink, and pretty soon you don't find yourself that hungry! I have yogurt on hand for a snack, as I'm not a huge fruit and veggie person.

I also think it's great that you're drinking water. I have a hard time with that. I would much rather grab a diet coke. I don't have any in the house, so then I just get really dehydrated.

Chrissy, I hear you! I never had a problem with my weight either. Then these two years-yikes! I was in the low 120's in high school, so the pounds have crept up on me. I'm hoping to get back down there for my birthday. I find loosing weight really difficult, because I don't have that much to loose. So when I do, I get comfortable and then it gets back on. I heard tonight that the worst thing you can do when loosing weight is to see it as an accomplishment, because then when you reach it, you stop trying and it creeps back up. So I'm trying to see it as more of a lifestyle.

6. Chrissy71

Chrissy71 Rookie

Jan 6, 2009

I agree it is a lifestyle change. It is just really hard. I gave up soft drinks and I am trying to just have water with lemon, or crystal light. My problem is, I still feel hungry throughout the day. Hopefully in a couple of days I will be back at the gym. It does make me feel better about myself after I work out, and really helps with stress. I used to weigh 145 pounds before my son 13 years ago, but now I weigh 160 pounds and I am 5 feet 11 in.

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2009

I gave up soft drinks as well, but it's been too hard for me to give up sweet ice tea...which I don't like it super sweet...just a bit. Giving up the sugary drinks does really help though. I also don't eat after 7 p.m., which helps a bunch.

8. smalltowngal

Jan 6, 2009

Jem-I hear ya. I'm the same way. I found that today I was fuller after the sandwiches than I have been eating something else. I'm really hoping that with some walking will help me lose the weight I need to. I haven't had an issue with my weight until after I had my DD.

9. Chrissy71

Chrissy71 Rookie

Jan 6, 2009

I can't wait to go back to work, that way I won't be looking in the cubbards constantly for something to eat. This is my last week off. And I really need to find some healthy, but good tasting snacks. Carrots, yogurt, and string cheese are getting old.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2009

I did my flabby arm exercises, didn't eat out, and only had ONE diet soda (even though I allow myself 2) for the second day in a row! And I took all my meds without forgetting any - that was my other resolution. Gonna try to get some goals down before I start really trying to lose weight, but they should help.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 6, 2009

Maybe I'll have to try PB sandwiches for meals; I've never heard of them as a weight loss food. Do you have to have soup for supper, though, I really don't like soup, is there something else you can substitute?

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 6, 2009

I use just a tiny bit of PB-enough to cover the bread-and I use fat free. It's good protein and carbs, and fills you up really well.

I got sick of soup after a while, so then I switched to chili. I bought it at the store, although it would be super easy to make, too. I got the chicken basil chili, which was sooooo good. A large bowl of that really filled me up, and had me eating protein instead of carbs. I'm not suppose to eat any carbs after 5pm, which is really hard because dh works until 7, so we don't eat dinner until 7:30/8pm.

I also love to mix in Honey Bunches of Oats into fat-free Yoplait (cherry is my favorite). It so delicious, and HBoO is less fattening than granola (but tastes just as good).

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 6, 2009

I have this easy weight watchers recipe for chili.

1 can black beans
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can of pinto beans
    1 can of chili beans - is there such a thing??
    1 can of diced tomato
    1 can of corn
    1 chopped onion
    1 packet of taco seasoning
    add garlic, salt or whatever else you want too

You can put other stuff in there too if you want. I think it's like 3-4 points per bowl. Tons of protein and fiber.

I made this with my class when we were studying beans. They loved it!

14. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 6, 2009

And my big hoorah is that I bought some skinny jeans and think I look great in them!!

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2009

I have way more than 10 pounds to lose, but I'm on my way--almost 5 pounds in the past week (the first week loss is always big). I haven't been snacking at my desk (my real downfall) and I've been avoiding temptation pretty well.

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 7, 2009

Woo hooo ladies! Another thread to get addicted to.

I find what works for me is not eating a lot a dinner. That is the killer. I am not active in the evenings so that all just goes to my stomach. I have also noticed that when I eat a lot of carbs as in lots of rice or baked potato, my waist just goes away. My body responds best to low carb diets.

I am going up stairs to weigh in on my Wii and I will go by BMI. I think need to get it to about 16.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 7, 2009

Darnit! I decided to go by pounds because it's easier but listen to this. My goal was 10. Now it's 11.6. :(

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 7, 2009

I am back on Weight Watchers this week. I make sure I eat a lot of fruits and veggies. I like Cheerios or fiber one for breakfast - it fills me up.
    I got the Wii fit for Christmas that I am trying to use everyday. I have another workout video that is great called the 30 day Shred - only 20 minutes a day. Been meaning to start it everyday this week but been so busy at night after school

19. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 7, 2009

hmm this is great, for advice, I got on the scale today and nearly passed out!

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 7, 2009

I want to go back on weight watchers too. I have to lose some weight after having surgery. I was going to go to the meeting in town last night but we got some freezing rain so hopefully I can go next week. My first goal is 10 lbs!

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 7, 2009

Me too! :eek:

22. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 7, 2009

:whistle: I thought my goal was 10 , but after I got on the scale, i realized it was 20 :dizzy:

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 7, 2009

I finally gave into the fat lady and bought new pants in sizes 14 and 16. I figure now that I have a wonderful, stylish new wardrobe, I'll drop back down.

My weight is a real issue for me. Shortly after the birth of my youngest child I got up to 280lbs. I lost 110lbs...at 170 I wear a size 8 (I'm tall and I have this wierd bone density issue so I weigh a lot more than I look like I weigh). I'm back up to 210 :(. I really need to loose 40lbs..

24. smalltowngal

Jan 7, 2009

This would be me!!

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 7, 2009

You can do it!!!! :thumb:

26. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 7, 2009

This is great! For those that are doing well, keep it up! One day at a time! For those that are just starting, celebrate with us!

I'm celebrating that I got up at 7am to go to pilates. My gym had two classes in a row, so I stayed for them both. I'm going to try to make the Body Sculpting class this evening. Last night when I was putting my PJ's on, I saw a new muscle on my hip bone I had never seen before. Very cool. But then this morning as I was working out, I noticed how flabby my arms are. I really need to work on that, and I'm very impatient with it.

27. smalltowngal

Jan 7, 2009

Jem-that's my problem....I'm so impatient that I have a hard time remembering that results take time. I have to remind myself that it takes at least 6 weeks to really see a difference.

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 7, 2009

I know! I kept thinking during class, 'I need to ask what moves I should do. I'd really like that gone in the next day or two....'

Yeah, right.

29. smalltowngal

Jan 7, 2009

I really can't wait to get back into the gym! I loved going when I had a membership in my hometown. DH and I would go together and he would work out with his buddies, and I would do the classes. We would be there from 5-8 most days. I really started seeing a difference, but then we moved to where we are now and haven't had the chance to get a membership here.

30. smalltowngal

Jan 13, 2009

Jem-I just wanted to let you know that I have been eating PB sandwiches for breakfast and lunch for almost a week now, and I have lost 1 1/2 lbs!!!! Thanks for the idea! I've also cut back to only 2 sodas a day so that helps as well. I haven't done anything else as far as exercise, unless you count walking to the neighbors and housework. I'm sure I'd lose a lot more if I exercised.

31. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 13, 2009

Hoooooray!

You know, it's funny. I bought sourdough bread and sliced chicken for this week to change it up, and now all I want is a peanut butter sandwich! Ha!

I love that it's so automatic, and keeps you full for such a long time. And it's only about 300 calories if you use just a thin bit of PB on the bread, which makes your breakfast and lunch only 600 calories!!

I'm finding I need more fiber in my diet, though, so I'm mixing in little fiber cereal bits into my yogurt as a snack. I had that for breakfast today and I'm having crab for lunch. But tomorrow I'll be back to PB sandwiches. ;)

32. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Jan 13, 2009

I just found Peter Pan Whipped Peanut Butter. It is AWESOME! Because it is whipped and has extra air in it, there are less calories per serving and it is super creamy and easy to spread. I am LOVING it!

There are 140 cal./2 g fiber/12 g fat in a 2 T. serving, so it's only 3 WW points per serving and I never end up using a full 2 T.

33. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 13, 2009

Good to know about the PB.

I just had a crab for lunch. A whole dungess crab. It was delicious, and only 140 calories. Although I'm still hungry. Poo.

34. smalltowngal

Jan 13, 2009

Go eat a PB sandwich! ;)

35. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2009

I still can't believe I have stuck with no more than 2 sodas a day for 2 weeks!

I am slacking on my flabby arm exercises though. I just keep forgetting.

36. smalltowngal

Jan 13, 2009

silver-me 2!! Good job on the sodas! I know that's a big one for me.

37. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 13, 2009

I sometimes add lemon to my water to change it up a bit.

On another note I went back to a meeting tonight at Weight Watchers. I hadn't been there since Nov 18, thankfully I was still the same weight. I did gain over the holidays but I lost it!

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 13, 2009

Has anyone watched that new show Dietribe on the Lifetime network? It's about 5 friends who are trying to lose 30 lbs each before one girl's wedding. It is really motivating to watch.

39. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2009

I got my new WW books yesterday - bought them on ebay; I'm not into the meetings. Started counting today and have hit my limit - I'm still a bit peckish, but I can have some carrot sticks.

We're planning a trip to Germany and London over spring break, and I'm determined to be at least 10 pounds lighter before then!

40. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 13, 2009

Congrats to everybody even trying to make a change, I think that's great. :)

My husband and I have never struggled with our weight, but we eat horribly. We used to eat out at least 1 meal a day...and we never ate breakfast and rarely ate dinner...and never exercised.

Well, ever since Christmas Eve we have been making/eating breakfast, bringing our lunches to work, and cooking dinner every day! That is one big hurdle for us. Another is that we have been walking 2 miles, 3 nights a week.

Lastly, we decided that we are going to go to the gym before work, 4 days a week. With our job hours being 11-7 we figure we can squeeze the gym in there. Then we'll go at least 1 weekend day. We're hoping that it'll become second nature to us and that we won't hate going as much as we did in the past!

So far...so good! :) Good luck to everyone else!

41. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 13, 2009

Oh, good god.

I'm like a bad sitcom over here.

I've been so, so good. And then I got a HUGE craving for sweet. I've been battling all night, but I couldn't take it anymore. I drove across the street to the grocery store, thinking I would make it back before the commercial break of American Idol was over. Ha! Store was closed. So I drove to the store two exits down and grabbed a huge strawberry boston creme pie cake and some brownies and ran to the check-out like I was the Mc Burglar or something. Still in my workout clothes. I thought about cramming a brownie in my mouth on the way home, but then I figured that was too pathetic, even for me. So now I have a fork, and I'm digging in. A few bites won't hurt, right?......