trying to increase my chances of getting position next year

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by PenCelia, May 20, 2007.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

May 20, 2007

Hi! I recently got a job filling a leave of absence until the end of the year. Next year their is a one yr position in the same grade level. There are three of us finishing out the year in the same position I'm in. So what can I do to get the edge over the others. I want the position so badly. The principal is going to come into the classroom next week to watch math lessons. Ugh that is my weakest area and the other guys strongest. Any ideas? I'm teaching 5th grade and we are doing fractions. Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2007

My all time secret weapon in teaching math is this question: "Is anyone so confused that you don't even know what to ask??" Then ignore their hands and watch their faces. Find a kid who nods, even just a little. Then guide him through the process just a little at a time:

OK, you know we want to add the fractions, right? And we need a common denominator-- do you remember which one is the denominator? Do you remember how to find the denominator--it's just like finding the LCM, right?.. and so on.

My other favorite method is this: when I'm teaching something new, we do one problem together on the left half of the board. Then, on the right, I write the word "Process:" I ask the kids what kind of problem we're doing and how they can tell. I write down a modified version of what they say. Then I ask how we got from step 1 to step 2 in the problem in front of them, and write that down. Then step 2 to step 3, all the way through the problem.

They end up with a "how-to", more or less in their own words, for every topic we cover. (And I let them know that they can feel free to paraphrase words that make more sense.)

And having math as your weak point may actually help: you can feel for the kid who just doesn't understand. I used to work with a brilliant math teacher who just didn't see how a student might not "get" a concept. I'm guessing you'll be far more emphathetic!

Can you give us more specifics on what you'll be teaching??