Trying to get pregnant

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by uclalum, Aug 16, 2008.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 21, 2008

Nooooooo! SIX MONTHS??? That's too long! I was hoping that I'd be able to get prego immediately by using the ovulation kit and forcing my DH into the room every 2 days. :(

2. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 21, 2008

Don't stress....that will only make it harder :D

Have fun and you never know...

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 22, 2008

Yes! You are right! That means that you should be ovulating the day after the positive. I heard that the most important day was the day that you get a pos on the sticks. That way, the sperm are already there the day you ovulate. I would do it every day!
    I bought this stuff called preseed. It is suppose to help the sperm find their way to the egg. I liked it a lot!:D

I will be taking a home pregnancy test in one week. Please, everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!

4. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

Here's my question (possibly off topic..but kinda on!) how is it SO easy for people to accidently get pregnant...but SOOOOO hard when you WANT to? The wonders of the world.....

5. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

Hmmm....boy sperm and girl sperm???? I always heard that the female's....i don't know if it was egg or hormones....decided the sex of the baby? Or was that supposed to be a joke and it went over my head?.....hmmm....

6. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Aug 22, 2008

Because...when you accidently get pregnant you are not thinking about it so much and it just happens...........but when you plan to do it takes forever (thats what it seems like) !!!!!!!!!

7. just-n-educator

Aug 22, 2008

It is actually the male sperm that decides the sex of the baby!!! Yes in the real olden days when they did not know any better they thought it was the women but its not!

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2008

I was going to say the same thing... You aren't stressing your self out about getting pg & letting things happen. LOL!!!

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

The sex of the baby is determined by wether the sex chromosome pair is XX (girl) or XY (boy). The ova only carries an X chromosome, sperm can carry either an X or a Y chromosome. The sex of the baby is dtermined entirely by wether an X or a Y carrying sperm fertilzes the egg.

10. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

Good to know! Thanks :)

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

Once a teacher..... :D

12. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2008

Extra bonus trivia: The Y chromosome is half the length of the X chromosome, which is why recessive traits such as color blindness and early baldness are more common in males (a woman has to have two copies of the gene, while a male only has to have one).

Additionally, the male sperm are slightly lighter, and so very slightly more eggs are fertilized with the speedier male sperm than the female sperm.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

Second bonus question...the smaller size of the male sperm also give them a shorter life span. This is why when you hear women say "I don't know how I got pregnant, the last time I had sex was during my period", those babies tend to be girls.

14. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 27, 2008

Well, no need to test this month. Aunt Flo showed up in full force.:(

This cycle I am going to do the opk's with the smiley faces.

15. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Aug 27, 2008

Sorry to hear..I am not looking forward to ttc this spring I will be so frustrated if it does not happen right away!

16. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 28, 2008

same here. :(

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 28, 2008

I forbid either one of you to get frustrated about this during the next six months. :p

All kidding aside, I know how it is to want to get pregant, but the best thing you can do for yourself is to relax and have fun. Stress levels do affect your fertility to an extent.

18. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

Try not to get frustrated. It will make you absolutely miserable. I have been trying for 2 years, and the one thing I have learned is to just roll with the punches. If you have been trying for a while then go to the doctor. Just try to not let it get to you.

19. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 29, 2008

I wish my ovaries could talk so I will know ahead of time whether they need help. :p

20. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Aug 29, 2008

lol..wouldn't that be great if we knew exactly how long it would take.

21. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 29, 2008

I don't remember if I recommended it in this thread or not, but this book is excellent:

Taking Charge of Your Fertility[​IMG]

IMO, I think every woman should understand how our bodies work to the extent that this book explains it! This book is even useful for learning how to avoid pregnancy which is great for those who want or need to avoid the added hormones in birth control pills.

I think OPKs have their place, but all the other fertility signs are reliable enough to determine when you ovulate. I have used OPKs to back up the info I'm getting from other fertility signs, but once I figure out what my pattern looks like, OPKs are pretty worthless and just a pain in the rear. My surge is pretty short, so I found that I never got a fully positive result. I had to test twice a day and I also found it hard to hold urine long enough for a valid result without getting dehydrated.

Oh, and if nothing else I also highly recommend fertility charting. You can do it online for free at various places. One is www.fertilityfriend.com (They have "VIP" features and forum access with a subscription, but they aren't necessary.)

If your cycles are all over the place or you determine you aren't ovulating, you shouldn't need to wait as long to go see a doctor. Also, if you are ovulating and timing intercourse appropriately but still don't seem to be getting pregnant, I think you could take the charts to a doctor and get help sooner.

I totally agree that stress doesn't help things, but I hate the "just relax" line. :sorry: You can be completely relaxed, but not having intercourse at the right time (in terms of ovulation), and never get pregnant. :2cents:

22. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 29, 2008

Actually you can start fertility charting now and you will know if and when you are ovulating before you start to TTC! :up:

Edited for disclaimer: I just remembered that won't work if you are on birth control pills. That is another factor... sometimes it takes a while to get back on track after stopping pills. Some stop taking pills and chart so they are ready to TTC when the time comes. (In the mean time, they use a backup birth control method and/or avoid during fertile period.)

23. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2008

I just wanted to add...I was reading a book this week, and it said that after trying for 6 months, if you haven't conceived, a man should be tested first...we haven't gone that far yet, but I just thought I'd share.
    Also, my girlfriend just started trying this month and is now 3 weeks pregnant...so it can happen very quickly!! I'm super jealous but so happy for her...and I hope that I will be in her shoes soon!! Good luck to everyone still trying :)

24. just-n-educator

Aug 30, 2008

This might be really odd for some, it was for me...Someone told me today that she tried and tried to get pregnant for 3 years and couldn't then she read somewhere that: Apple farmers make apple cider and then gave the grounded apple to the cows and the cows started to have more and more reproduction...she was saying that there is something in the apple cider that makes you conceive. ;) I don't know how much of that is true...but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try! :) BTW she now has 3 children and her brother who didn't have kids for 10 years...his wife is 6 months pregnant!:D

25. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2008

I have never heard of that before, but like you said, it doesn't hurt to try!!

26. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 31, 2008

Thanks for all the advice! I have a Borders gift card so I will get that book today. Everyone I have talked to has nothing but great things to say about it.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 31, 2008

For the record, I hope that I never came across as saying "just relax". I only meant that, in addition to what was already being done, relaxing and not stressing was important Large amounts of stress can affect your fertility. I've seen numerous compliation studies done where women concieve on their own after they've adopted another child. The percentage, while not overwhelming was significant (I can't remember the exact number). The major hypothesis is that the stress in the woman's life over wanting to concieve was lifted and allowed her body to function better. Stress, does, after all, have a major impact on the endocrine system.

Also, for the record, I do know how it feels. My two oldest children are the happy result of fertility drugs and the little one is a miraculous "whoopsie" :) .

28. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

I've been trying for almost a year, but I've stopped using the ovulation indicators. All that fixating on the calendar had me miserable. When I would time it "just right" and still get my period, I would just cry and cry.

Now, we just do the deed every other day. If you do that, it doesn't matter when you ovulate - you'll be as ready as you would have been if you'd used the indicators.

It will be a year in Nov., at which point I will go to the doctors. They aren't concerned yet.

29. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

Amanda~I'm so glad you posted this! I was just about to post the same advice! My sister got pg after using this book. I've used it, but no luck. Of course, that's probably a good thing, since DH went back to school in '03. We couldn't have afforded a baby for the past five years! Happily, he graduates in December, so we'll be jumping back on the ttc train soon! My other sister has been ttc for two years. Long story short, she and her hubby went to a fertility dr. After 4 rounds of IUI, they are preggo with TWINS! :thumb: