Trying to find the right post bacc program

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacheroflove, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Teacheroflove

Teacheroflove Rookie

Aug 13, 2013

I am having a hard time finding a program that will allow me to be done in less than two years and that is decent priced. I would like one with a dual certification option but I'm struggling to find one that has only one certification alone that won't take me two years to complete. I have found shorter master's programs. I have just been looking on google. Is there a website I can look at for this? Like gradschools.com etc? Looking in Philadelphia.

3. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Aug 13, 2013

I finished at WGU in one year but they only have single cert. I think. It's work at your own pace so you can finish as many classes in a 6 month term as you can. It requires student teaching.

4. Teacheroflove

Teacheroflove Rookie

Aug 13, 2013

I was looking into that. I worry that online schools aren't taken as seriously, if they are strictly online schools. I like the fact that this school is affordable however. What is the reputation of the school? As far as employment via this route goes, is it favorable? And how difficult is the program? Would you mind providing me with some more information please?

5. Sinewave

Sinewave Rookie

Aug 13, 2013

I'm in the Philly area and have also been looking for where I can get a post-bacc middle years 4-8 dual cert math and science. I'm planning to call both Drexel and Temple (where I graduated) because I know they offer an initial cert program, but I already have a cert so not sure what I would need to do.

6. Teacheroflove

Teacheroflove Rookie

Aug 13, 2013

Did you graduate from Temple or Drexel? I just spoke with Drexel and they are so expensive. It's ridiculous. I have found Master's programs cheaper than that. Besides the money issue, I like Drexel's program. They offer both campus and online. What do you have a certificate in?

7. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 13, 2013

Try Holy Family College. I took a post-bacc certification program there for elementary ed. and did it in a little over a year. This was many years ago, but they might still have something similar.

8. Teacheroflove

Teacheroflove Rookie

Aug 13, 2013

Thank you! Looking into it. Their website isn't that clear. Not sure the program is a master's program or post bacc but will get in touch with them. :thanks:

9. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Aug 13, 2013

I looked at local schools and saw that several of them had WGU alum working for them. Honestly I don't know that many people know it's all online unless I tell them.

I guess it was as challenging as the college I went to to receive my BS. I wrote a lot of papers, took a few tests, had to do student teaching and pre-clinical teaching. It was just easier in that I didn't have to drive to class.

10. Sinewave

Sinewave Rookie

Aug 13, 2013

I went to Temple and I have my cert in math 7-12. I prefer middle school, and see that some districts no longer take 7-12 cert for middle school. I also feel the math and science combo will make me more marketable. I have had a very frustrating time finding a job!

I'm going to call Temple tomorrow. Temple shouldn't be that expensive, but I have to figure out if they'd let me go in for a post bacc, as they don't offer it as a masters program only as an initial certification program, which I'm guessing doesn't include me.

11. Miss~Blue

Miss~Blue Rookie

Aug 15, 2013

I really want to get a post-bacc certification in either Special Ed or ESL in the same area as you are, but it seems so complicated like I would have to do a Pre-K-3 cert along with a Special Ed Prek-3 cert? I don't want to be in school forever.

How is student teaching done with the online schooling? (I honestly don't like online, but if I have to...) Is there any choice in schools or is it pretty random.