Trying to find stuff for my portfolio

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hopscotch, Jul 30, 2008.

1. hopscotch

hopscotch Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I guess it will be more like a pamphlet than a portfolio. I didn't major in education, so I've never done any student teaching or interning, but I've taught ("instructed") on many levels to all different age groups. I'm having difficulty finding things to put into a portfolio, but here's what I have so far:
    - teaching philosophy
    - "The First Week of School" plan of action (Student expectations, procedures, parent communication, behavior management plan) This part still needs a lot of work since I've never done these things formally before, but I thought it may be a good idea to show that I'm at least working on it.
    - Lesson Plan example. I'm having to re-create one from my old job, and we didn't really write formal lesson plans, but I can make it work.

I've thought about including a few ppt slides from one of my chemistry seminar presentations in college...even though it's not relevant course material, I could use it to show how I arranged a lecture. Maybe? Any other ideas of what I could include in my pamphlet?

3. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 30, 2008

google and see if there are sites that help you build an e-portfolio...
    the school i attended used www.taskstream.com but i think it may cost...

I have the things you mentioned and a discipline plan, an analysis on one task (something we had to do for school, I used the morning routine and planned out EVERYTHING!), and a sub plan that includes what to do in the event of an emergency...ie. fire, bomb, earthquake, etc. I know the district will have a set expectation but it shows I realize a sub needs to know these things!

hope that helps...I am still working on my portfolio but my eportfolio is all done i just don't know how to market it!

4. hopscotch

hopscotch Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

OH! Task Analysis! I did LOTS of those! Totally forgot about that...again, I don't have any with me, but I can make them up easily. Thanks for the tip, USCgrad!

One of my problems is that I haven't settled on a specific discipline plan yet, so I'm afraid to put something in writing and then be held to it, you know? I doubt anyone would be surprised if it changed, but I just feel like it's dishonest to advertise one thing and end up doing something else.

5. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I could be wrong but i doubt you will be held to it...many schools have a basic guideline and for the most part, you have a philosophy.....positive reinforcement, negative reinfor. tangible rewards, negative consequences, things like that!

and of course, you want to mention the fact that discipline problems will be minimized with engaging, student centered lessons....yada yada yada....

oh, and that only serious issues will be directed to admin....that you can handle it on your own!

right seasoned teachers??

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2008

Depending on the grade level and subject you want to teach, you might want to come up with a sample list of "Daily Warm-Ups." A lot of schools like it when teachers have a 5 minute warm-up for the very beginning of class (middle and high school) the kids are already working while you're taking attendance, collecting homework, etc.

As for the discipline plan... you can just label it as "Rough Draft" and if they ask what that means, just say that these are your thoughts on discipline, but you would need to incorporate the school's discipline guideline into it.

And if you have any thank-you notes from any of your former jobs thanking you for all of your hard work, etc... copy them and throw them in there!