Trying to figure out what I did wrong...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, May 20, 2010.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 20, 2010

We had a special reception for our volunteers yesterday..On the invitation we tell parents it's for adults only and child care will be provided. Of course there are parents who bring their kids and we remind them of child care and most of them have no problem with it.

Anyway, one of my parents came and had both her kids..When I handed her the raffle ticket I told what room the child care was in. She took her kids and about 5 minutes she walked back in and said the kids didn't feel like watching a movie. Well, I was trying to help and said to the the kids (In my most cheerful way and acting a little surprised) "You dont want to watch a movie?" and then I said (again in a very cheerful way), "It won't be for very long!" At that point I saw this parent's expression change and she said they were leaving.

I don't get it..I was trying to be encouraging to try and get the kids to stay and watch the movie so she could enjoy the reception and she gets upset at me. This is the only time we ask that children be left at home or have parents use the child care. I don't think that is asking a lot. The parents enjoy it and most don't have a problem with that request.

Things like this bother me. The last thing I wanted to do was upset one of my parents..:( Was I out of line?? I wasn't demanding at all, I was just trying to help.

3. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 20, 2010

Free child care? They are not a religious group that might object to the movie? I would let it go. You have other things to worry about.

4. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 20, 2010

Yes, it was free..Some teachers volunteered to watch the kids. There were two different rooms. She didn't say anything about the movies being inappropriate and I'm sure they were rated G.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 20, 2010

I wouldn't give it a second thought. She obviously has issues.

6. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

May 20, 2010

I agree with the guy above me... one of those people that thinks their children are the exception. Just shake your head, smile, and move on. Sorry that happened!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 20, 2010

She might have understood that her children were not welcome to stay with her, been embarassed, and left.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 20, 2010

I agree you should let it go. You didn't do anything wrong. Anyway, she's the one in the wrong. Why would she still try to bring them in knowing it was only for adults???

9. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

May 20, 2010

I wouldn't worry about it at all. People need to realize that---no matter if the children are well-behaved or not---sometimes gatherings are just for adults. Children do not need to be everywhere their parents are and a small break should be enjoyed!

10. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 21, 2010

Thank you for all your input...I'm over it!! :)

11. Icare

Icare Rookie

May 22, 2010

Well as a parents perspective you just don't know the why's of why she responded this way.
    It could be that she likes to be around her children (a good thing imo) or she went, saw something she didn't like (movie, how an aide was treating them, how rowdy the class was etc..) Or even if her kids were having problems leaving her. That could happen depending on age... I don't know how old they were but being left in a place without mom could be scary

I would ask her what happened. You certainly didn't mean any harm, was trying to help and probably got the response like that from her because you didn't have all of the details.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 22, 2010

You could at least follow-up with the parent and either call or e-mail them and say that you noticed they were upset and you and the other faculty were disappointed to not have the parent attend the event. Outline why the school has decided to not allow students and other children into the event and ask her if she would mind to follow-up with you in case she has any suggestions on how the school might improve the event for upcoming years. (What ever e-mail you DO send I would have it first be approved by the principal before sending it)

I find when you ask for an angry parent's input and you take it seriously, I know they appreciate being heard and will be happy to see their input being taken to heart. I recently found this out when one mom was not happy with my commenting system I used for her daughter, so I listened to her input and made changes. A few weeks later I got a nice letter from the mom thanking me.

Don't go crazy over this, but do follow-up. :)

13. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 22, 2010

Thank you Icare & Bioangel... I have kids and if there was an event that was for adults only and I didn't like the child care arrangements or my kids weren't comfortable staying there, I would leave.

I do love my kids and enjoy being around them, but I do like a break now and again..:D I understand that some people need to have their kids with them 100% of the time, which is fine, but there will be some events you'll have to pass on. Different strokes for different folks!!

I spoke to another teacher and I guess she tried the same thing last year and someone spoke to her then. The more I thought about it the more I was able to figure out what I "think" happened. She walked through the cafeteria to get to the room where the child care was, but when she came back she walked all the way around and came back to the door where I was standing..I think she was hoping I would make an exception for her because her kid was in my class. Who knows..I did speak to the V.P. and she said to just let it go.

14. Icare

Icare Rookie

May 22, 2010

Hey Mrs. A, I gotcha on needing a break LOL! Sometimes parents need to express themselves better too and she should of in this case, especially since you were just trying to help. If it were me I wouldn't of acted that way, but I could see some scenario's (sp?) on the why's of it all.

hac711, I have to say that was a tad bit harsh, just because a parent likes flexibility doesn't mean we were raised wrong. It's not like the parent threw a fit and demanded they change the rules for her. Thats kinda silly to make such a blanket statement like that don't you think? Just saying....

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 24, 2010

:yeahthat:

16. Icare

Icare Rookie

May 25, 2010

:)

17. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 25, 2010

I don't think it was you specifically. We had an orientation last week for next year's incoming Kindergarten parents. It is a fairly dry meeting and we do a meet the teacher during the summer for the kids. We request that children not attend this meeting, but a whole ton did, which is really not a problem because we prepare, just boring for the children. Two teachers took the children to the other side of the pod, within sight and earshot of parents to work on some cute art projects and have snacks. One parent refused to let her child go, saying "He prefers to stay with me!". And he was disruptive through the entire program. What will she do next year on the first day of school? You just can't please everyone.

18. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 25, 2010

You did fine. You just can't please some people!

19. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

May 26, 2010

Attachment

You didn't do anything wrong. Don't let it bother you. We all run into parents who have too much attachment to their kids. I feel sorry for the children who don't get to spend more time with other kids.

20. XOEmmyLouOX

XOEmmyLouOX Rookie

Jun 2, 2010

Exactly.. :thumb: