trying to buy a new car

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Blue, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 17, 2009

My daughter is in need of a new car. She has $10,000 cash to pay for one. Her father and I are trying to help her shop. We live in a Metro area with multi dealers.

It is my understanding that the car dealers are having a hard time selling cars. But, every dealer we go to is too busy to spend any time with us. And no dealer is ready to deal. The sticker price is what they expect.

Does anyone have any ideas or imput on buying a car?

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2009

SATURN!
    My first new car was a SATURN and they were the best dealers ever!
    Check them out and you won't be dissappointed.:) THis was in CA, so who knows how your state's Saturn Dealerships are BUT go there and they will help you. They are very CUSTOMER ORIENTED and they pride themselves on that.
    Rebel1

4. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 17, 2009

Have you tried Saturn yet?

My car buying experiences have ALWAYS been pleasant and positive at Saturn. While you WILL pay sticker price on a Saturn, what you get is well worth the price.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 18, 2009

Rebel1, Yes, I love the saturn, but remember, this is for my daughter, so cute is the number once factor.

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2009

Yeah! That Sporty new one is the one! I've been trying to talk my DH into buying me one BUT he said it's too small for us. I told him that it wasn't for US.:DIt's for ME! He has his own car and I'm due for a new one soon.
    R1

7. Suburban Gal

Jan 18, 2009

I think Saturns are "cute", especially the VUE (which is what I have).

How old is your daughter? Is this her first car? Cute should be far from the picture. If she is young and this is her first car, then all she needs is something affordable that will get her from point A to point B. It's not like she needs a Mazaradi or Ferrari.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2009

This Nissan Versa should be within her price range.
    Tell them you'll drive it off the lot now for 9k. Compromise by offering dealer invoice.

9. Suburban Gal

Jan 18, 2009

That's a good idea.

10. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Jan 18, 2009

Well since I'm Asian, I love Asian cars. Although I've driven a few BMWs and Mercedes Benz, Japanese cars are superior reliability. I would highly recommend a Scion for your daughter, super cute for girls.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 18, 2009

I'm a bit bias, but we love the MINI Cooper over here (dh is the supervisor on their advertising account). He said you could def. get a used one for under 10k. I love the convertibles, and want a dark green one with white racing stripes. It's totally cute, especially for a teen. And very safe.

(dh just told me I can't say 'cute'. whatever.)

He said to check out rasmussenMINI.com for Oregon.

12. Suburban Gal

Jan 18, 2009

A Scion is cute? I'm 31 (almost 32) and would NEVER be caught driving in one of those so I can imagine what a gal a lot younger than me would think of a Scion. I just don't go for boxy.

I'm not very big on Asian cars. They tend to fog a lot in the winter thus making it hard to keep the windows clear to have some kind of decent visibility out of them.

I'm also not a fan of small cars. I find they handle poorly in winter. Maybe good in places where there's no snow, but in places where there's snow -- handling leaves a lot to be desired.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 18, 2009

Actually, the design of the MINI makes it great for snow. The wheels are placed on the outside of the frame, giving it's bulldog look. This prevents it from rolling over easily and allows it to charge through snow. It also handles well on ice. It's no SUV, but it's a great option.

(dh almost had a bunch of MINI's with snowplows attached to their front plow the streets of Chicago as a stunt, but they were worried people might actually try it with their MINIs and it would void the warranty....)

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2009

Girls do go for Scion's--my 21 year old daughter would do anything to get a Scion. We bought her a Saturn Ion. She liked it at the time but now wants the Scion. My other daughter has a Mazda Tribute and loves it.

15. Suburban Gal

Jan 18, 2009

WOW! :eek: How times have changed.

16. Suburban Gal

Jan 18, 2009

I don't get why the OP is having so much trouble. I just came across an article on Yahoo! News that talks about how dealers are going to extremes to sell cars, offering "employee pricing", and zero-percent financing. Here's the article: Best Car Deals For January

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 18, 2009

Thanks for all your suggestions. Suburban Gal, I read that article with great interest.

It is not my daughters first car--she is driving a Honda Civic w/ 200,000 miles on it. She is 30 and saved most of the money for a new car. We are going out tomorrow to look at some gently used Accents.

I agree with Subaran Gal, I don't know why we are having so much trouble. But, the car dealers will not negociate, and don't seem to want to help us find a car that will work. I am amazed at how many people we see buying cars.

I am taking all your suggestions with me, and will let you know what we find out. (At least we will get lunch out.)

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2009

I work at a Chrysler Jeep Dodge dealership and we do not have any new cars close to 10K. We barely have used cars around 10K. With that said, there are very good deals to be had. We have several brand new cars for 50% off. They were in the 34-40K range and are now selling for 17-20K.
    If you go to a good dealership, they will treat you right and deal with you. We lost 1K to sell a car the other day.

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2009

Is 10k all she can pay for the car, or is it in addition to financing?

If the latter is the case, I'd get another Honda Civic.

20. Suburban Gal

Jan 18, 2009

I agree. She may be able to pick up owner loyalty and get 'x' amount down for staying with Honda. The more money down on a car, the better.

21. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 18, 2009

i think they might be referring to a scion TC, its the car, not the boxy one. i would love to have a scion tc..

I drive a mazda3, its a great car, and very "cute"

22. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 18, 2009

have you tried using a broker? I have bought my last few cars through a broker and got amazing deals. I pay cash + a trade in for my cars through him.

If you can find one, they often are selling cars bought at auction and things. I have not had any problems with any of the cars I bought... which was 4 cars through the same guy!

My last car was less than 10k, and is working/running fantastically.

23. Suburban Gal

Jan 18, 2009

Oh, okay! Don't know my cars very well, LOL! :lol:

24. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2009

The Scion TC is a lot of fun to drive. They basically took a Toyota Camry drivetrain and dropped it in a car that's lighter than a Honda Civic. I was impressed when I test drove one. It's quite fast.

Also, you have a ton of cargo space when you put the rear seat down. I was looking for a car that I could fit my bike inside without taking the wheels off, and it's the only non-SUV or wagon that does it.

The other nice thing is that you get a lot of goodies standard with the Scion.

And it's easy on the eyes.

25. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2009

The Mazda3 is built on the Volvo S40 platform. We have and S40 and it's a lot of fun to drive.

26. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 18, 2009

i didnt know that! you learn something new everyday haha

and yes it is alot of fun to drive :)

27. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 18, 2009

Not a car suggestion but a car buying suggestion - go to a big mega dealer if you have one and have her look at all of the cars to get a managable list going. Go to the manufacturer's website for each choice and put in the info on the car you are looking for, then go to the link that says "find this car" or something of that sort. Put in a your e-mail address (or hers!) and they will contact you with their best deals and offers for that specific car. You can easily see which dealership has the best deal, you have a specific person to talk to (usually whoever e-mails you will be your sales person) and not have to spend the day driving all over for nothing. My husband and I have bought 3 cars this way and each time spent 30 minutes at the dealership to sign paperwork because it was ready to sign when we got there.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 18, 2009

Japanese cars are excellent. No offense to anyone, but I heard from various sources that Saturns aren't that good. And regarding the Scions, there's 3 different models, so it depends on which one(s) the previous posters are referring to.

I had a 2-dr Honda Civic coupe from ages 18-33. I got it brand new, so as you can see, they really hold up. It took me through my last yr of HS, all of college, & more. This past Sept, I got an '09 Nissan Rogue. (BTW, I still have my Honda, which is still in good shape).

The 2-dr Honda Civic is about $16K.
    If your daughter likes small cars, the Toyota Yaris or Matrix are cute.
    She may like the Nissan Versa or Sentra.
    Mazdas are great too!
    I like the Mini Cooper too.

But, whatever you do, buy NEW & not used. My parents wanted a new, reliable car for me, so buying NEW provided better peace of mind because as you know, if you buy used, you don't know how the previous driver drove it.

29. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2009

I have a used Civic Hybrid and love the 40 mpg! We also drove a Versa - very nice. I LOVE the Mini Club - yesterday I saw a two-tone silver and blue - so cute! But the Club is a new model, so no deals on those. We got my Civic for $20K.

30. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 19, 2009

Thanks for all the advice and comments. We did our shopping on the net, and had dealers contact us. Today we went to the 2 dealers that had cars that met her needs. She ended up at the dealer that Giraffe suggested. You are right, the big dealers have more choice and can negociate a bit more.

Due to costs, she bought a 2007 Hyndaui Accent with very low miles, for less that the $10,000. I was the negociator, and I negociated every $100 I could get, and a tank of gas.

We were very happy with this dealer, as the whole team was very appropriate (we found some crazies out there). Since we went to a Jeep, etc. dealer, they were anxious to get rid of an Accent.

Anyway, I have a very happy daughter. Anyone want to buy a Honda Civic with 200,000 miles?

31. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2009

Unfortunately, I have a 2000 Accord with only 63,000 miles on it. I don't get a new car until it dies. I'm afraid that will be a very long time.

32. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 20, 2009

Sarge, I am afraid my daughter's Honda will die any minute. We are selling it with that warning, and only a driveway mechanic should buy the car.

Her new car is blue, as is mine and my other daughters. It seems like we all cycle to the same color every few years.

33. Suburban Gal

Jan 20, 2009

You don't drive a whole lot, do you???

34. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jan 20, 2009

I think Sarge says he bikes to/ from work everyday.
    I wish I lived close enough to do that! My car is a 2007 (I bought it new) and I have 56,000 miles on it already!!

35. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 20, 2009

Only advice, is to just have fun helping your DD with this. It can get stressful so remember to "enjoy".

36. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 20, 2009

We had a great time shopping, and eating lunch out each day we shopped. Her old car is parked in our driveway ready for a new owner.

37. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 21, 2009

We sold my daughter's old car today. First person who came, paid us what we asked. My poor daughter was almost in tears--she had that car for 8 years. Boy, I never get attached to cars.